The Student Room Group

According to economist article, Jews are genetically superior

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SexyNerd
jews aren't any smarter, just better educated.

soo not true fyi, I know many Jewish ppl who are not 'well educated' yet extremely bright :biggrin:
Reply 41
Does it look into social class differences too?

no, what that shows is people are exposed to different environments (education systems) and this reflects in tests. IQ tests don't measure intelligence, they measure knowledge.

IQ tests by design do not test knowledge, so long as you're not doing a 5 min coffee break one on teh internet
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by A128
soo not true fyi, I know many Jewish ppl who are not 'well educated' yet extremely bright :biggrin:

fyi, I know black people who aren't "well educated" but extremely bright :biggrin:
Reply 43
fyi, I know black people who aren't "well educated" but extremely bright :biggrin:

What are you trying to say?? :confused:
Reply 44
Original post by TheHansa
Does it look into social class differences too?

IQ tests by design do not test knowledge, so long as you're not doing a 5 min coffee break one on teh internet

"The rise and fall of IQ

now the system has been thoroughly discredited by psychologists
"

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus/story/0,,668879,00.html

IQ tests, the last straw of hope for "white" supremacists. There is only one race, we are all the same.

"Humans often categorize themselves in terms of race or ethnicity, sometimes on the basis of differences in appearance (meaning racial classfications are based on the way we look). Most current genetic and archaeological evidence supports a recent single origin of modern humans in East Africa. Race and ethnicity are among major factors in social identity giving rise to various forms of identity politics, e.g., racism.
There is no scientific consensus of a list of the human races , and few anthropologists endorse the notion of human "race" . Genetic studies have substantiated the absence of clear biological borders, thus the term "race" is rarely used in scientific terminology, both in biological anthropology and in human genetics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human#Race_and_ethnicity

What are you trying to say?? :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45

okay :confused: , stay on topic...what a random comment ???
no, what that shows is people are exposed to different environments (education systems) and this reflects in tests. IQ tests don't measure intelligence, they measure knowledge.

Actually, I.Q. tests - the proper ones - are actually designed to factor out the issue of 'knowledge'. As far as I know, I.Q. tests challenge ones' verbal reasoning abilities, non-verbal reasoning abilities and suchlike. Of course, I still do believe that people exposed to a certain type of education will still have an advantage over those who have another, which is an extraneous variable that I don't think they fully counter for.
Reply 47
Personally, I think this result is more down to culture and attitude rather than genetics.
I worked on a kibbutz last summer and the general attitude is work hard, play hard. I never met a person there with a bad work ethic.
Reply 48
Original post by KingMessi
Actually, I.Q. tests - the proper ones - are actually designed to factor out the issue of 'knowledge'. As far as I know, I.Q. tests challenge ones' verbal reasoning abilities, non-verbal reasoning abilities and suchlike. Of course, I still do believe that people exposed to a certain type of education will still have an advantage over those who have another, which is an extraneous variable that I don't think they fully counter for.

I agree

however...

"The rise and fall of IQ

"

Reply 49
Original post by Flowerii
Personally, I think this result is more down to culture and attitude rather than genetics.
I worked on a kibbutz last summer and the general attitude is work hard, play hard. I never met a person there with a bad work ethic.

thank you.
Reply 50
Original post by Flowerii

couldnt agree more...what made you work on a kibbutz? may i ask
Reply 51
Original post by A128

Education does not equal brightness generally.

Does anyone on here do IQ tests on themselves? Do you find the results quite variable? I've had lots of different numbers. I think I am brighter on some days than others. I'm hoping that if I bump into an Ashkenazi, it will be on one of my bright days.
Reply 52
Original post by A128
okay :confused: , stay on topic...what a random comment ???

my point is, there are smart people everywhere, intelligence is not antithetical to any race.
Reply 53
Original post by SoNottingH
Education does not equal brightness generally.

Does anyone on here do IQ tests on themselves? Do you find the results quite variable? I've had lots of different numbers. I think I am brighter on some days than others. I'm hoping that if I bump into an Ashkenazi, it will be on one of my bright days.

no, education does not equal brightness but it does equal higher IQ.
Reply 54

? Don't understand your post. My IQ isn't high enough.
Reply 55
"The rise and fall of IQ

"

IQ tests, the last straw of hope for "white" supremacists. There is only one race, we are all the same.

"Humans often categorize themselves in terms of race or ethnicity, sometimes on the basis of differences in appearance (meaning racial classfications are based on the way we look). Most current genetic and archaeological evidence supports a recent single origin of modern humans in East Africa. Race and ethnicity are among major factors in social identity giving rise to various forms of identity politics, e.g., racism.
There is no scientific consensus of a list of the human races , and few anthropologists endorse the notion of human "race" . Genetic studies have substantiated the absence of clear biological borders, thus the term "race" is rarely used in scientific terminology, both in biological anthropology and in human genetics."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human#Race_and_ethnicity

So if I disagree with you I become a white supremacist, nice O.o

The article is something of a straw man:

'Just consider the average IQ test,' says Rose. 'A typical question might ask: "If it takes two typists 125 minutes to type six pages, how long will it take six typists to type 12 pages?" To anyone with a bit of school mathematical training, it looks easy. But for those who have had none, it raises all sort of other questions. For a start, what's a typist? We don't have them anymore. And how often do they take breaks, or are they having rows? They might know nothing of all the assumptions we make when doing such a calculation. That doesn't make them stupid.'

The test isn't designed to assess knowledge of the definition of a typist so a person could probably ask, and modern iq tests are more abstract than this to make them culture fair. I'm none too sure why you felt the need to bring black people into this as if your their personal guardian, but Jews and white supremacists aren't the best of friends.

We can all paste opinions of different academics because academics have differing opinions

According to Frank Schmidt and John Hunter, "for hiring employees without previous experience in the job the most valid predictor of future performance is general mental ability."[64] The validity of IQ as a predictor of job performance is above zero for all work studied to date, but varies with the type of job and across different studies, ranging from 0.2 to 0.6.[65] The correlations were higher when the unreliability of measurement methods were controlled for

but like I said, it would be better to see some data which controls for social class, that this social class not wealth, IQ is a valid measure of intelligence but I agree that during a child's younger years it is highly plastic
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56

IQ is meant to measure intellectual ability, not acquired knowledge. Hence "Intelligence" Quotient, not "Education" Quotient.
I agree

however...

"The rise and fall of IQ

"

I'm not sure on which point we disagree...:confused:
Original post by Hypocrism
IQ is meant to measure intellectual ability, not acquired knowledge. Hence "Intelligence" Quotient, not "Education" Quotient.

This is of course true; however, would you deny that 'Education' isn't just a process designed to confer knowledge; a good education also promotes a certain way of lateral thinking that may be conducive to higher scores in an I.Q. test?
Reply 59
So if I disagree with you I become a white supremacist, nice O.o

The article is something of a straw man:

'Just consider the average IQ test,' says Rose. 'A typical question might ask: "If it takes two typists 125 minutes to type six pages, how long will it take six typists to type 12 pages?" To anyone with a bit of school mathematical training, it looks easy. But for those who have had none, it raises all sort of other questions. For a start, what's a typist? We don't have them anymore. And how often do they take breaks, or are they having rows? They might know nothing of all the assumptions we make when doing such a calculation. That doesn't make them stupid.'

The test isn't designed to assess knowledge of the definition of a typist so a person could probably ask, and modern iq tests are more abstract than this to make them culture fair. I'm none too sure why you felt the need to bring black people into this as if your their personal guardian, but Jews and white supremacists aren't the best of friends.

We can all paste opinions of different academics because academics have differing opinions

According to Frank Schmidt and John Hunter, "for hiring employees without previous experience in the job the most valid predictor of future performance is general mental ability."[64] The validity of IQ as a predictor of job performance is above zero for all work studied to date, but varies with the type of job and across different studies, ranging from 0.2 to 0.6.[65] The correlations were higher when the unreliability of measurement methods were controlled for

but like I said, it would be better to see some data which controls for social class, that this social class not wealth, IQ is a valid measure of intelligence but I agree that during a child's younger years it is highly plastic

your research is old, or at least older than mine.

here is something a bit more recent.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21760201/Discredited-Psychological-Treatments-and-Tests

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending