The Student Room Group

Are these grades good enough for UCL?

I'm just starting six form after summer, so this may be a bit early to ask but I just wanted to get my questions out of the way. Would these grades give me a fighting chance or are my chances slim?
I would preferably like to study economics at UCL but I've heard it's really competitive to get in. My gcse predicted grades are 7a* 3a, but I think I'll get 5/6a*s instead... I'm doing triple science and I've already got my a* in maths.
For AS I will be taking further maths, maths, chemistry, physics and spanish.. My dad is a physics teacher and my mum a maths teacher and they think I'm capable of getting A*A*AA in A2, assuming I work hard and drop chemistry as well after AS.. I'm doing silver and gold DofE and I also play rugby for my schools firsts if that adds to the extra curricular part of things? Thinking of doing a crest award as well.
Sorry about the essay, but what other extra curricular activities should I do and what are my realistic chances?

Sorry if these questions get asked too much I'm just really keen on UCL and wanted to know my chances, sothanks :smile:
Reply 1
I don't really like these sort of topics, you either know/do not know if you're capable because nobody knows you better than yourself and it seems as if you just want to boast about getting "5/6a*s". You can get 10A*s at GCSE but then a BBB at AS will not get you in UCL, so make sure you get your AS grades because that will be the main factor of getting into university. Extra curricular activities are only important if it is related to the course you wish to study so I would suggest try get work experience that's maths related, whether it be at a bank or at a physics department at a university.
You could receive better answers in the UCL forum, but I can tell you those are fine. The rest just depends on your personal statement (assuming you actually achieve those grades). In terms of extra curricular activities as long as you have a couple of decent things to quickly mention such as public speaking, debate or team sports then I wouldn't worry too much about that. For Economics you should definitely conduct some extra reading into the subject and use that in your personal statement, and try your hardest to grab some work experience (Institute of Directors' Work Shadowing Scheme is a gem). Keen on Economics in London but no mention of LSE? :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by `God
I don't really like these sort of topics, you either know/do not know if you're capable because nobody knows you better than yourself and it seems as if you just want to boast about getting "5/6a*s". You can get 10A*s at GCSE but then a BBB at AS will not get you in UCL, so make sure you get your AS grades because that will be the main factor of getting into university. Extra curricular activities are only important if it is related to the course you wish to study so I would suggest try get work experience that's maths related, whether it be at a bank or at a physics department at a university.

im not trying to boast or anything because ive seen the UCL application stalker thing on tsr and it shows most people with around 7-10a* which i dont think ill achieve, I was wondering if this would matter much. But thanks for the advice
Reply 4
Original post by North Irelandman
You could receive better answers in the UCL forum, but I can tell you those are fine. The rest just depends on your personal statement (assuming you actually achieve those grades). In terms of extra curricular activities as long as you have a couple of decent things to quickly mention such as public speaking, debate or team sports then I wouldn't worry too much about that. For Economics you should definitely conduct some extra reading into the subject and use that in your personal statement, and try your hardest to grab some work experience (Institute of Directors' Work Shadowing Scheme is a gem). Keen on Economics in London but no mention of LSE? :rolleyes:

thanks for the advice, and i didnt mention LSE because apperantly you need 7A*+ at gcse because they matter to them or something and i also go to an independent school which will probably work against me, so i thought my chances are lower
Original post by glasslemon
thanks for the advice, and i didnt mention LSE because apperantly you need 7A*+ at gcse because they matter to them or something and i also go to an independent school which will probably work against me, so i thought my chances are lower

Not at all! I've seen applicants with even 3A* at GCSE get offers for LSE Economics. Generally if you have a weak GCSE profile you can make up for it by having high A level grades in respected subjects, LSE do love GCSEs but they also love Further Maths. Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry are very common subjects to apply with to Economics and if you achieved the grades you mentioned you would be in with a good chance. I wouldn't rule it out as an option, and if you have a choice to spare it might be worth it. The competitiveness of UCL and LSE Economics is quite similar really.
Reply 6
so long as you get the minimum requirements stated on their site they tend not to care to much i got an offer and i only had 3a's, 4b's, 5c's and an e ... so long as you have, i think it it was a C in Maths a B in Eng lang and a pass at a modern language youll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending