The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by nonswimmer
I hope your girlfriend finds this, reads this, and dumps you.

Edit: Literally cannot believe how much neg I got for this.

I negged you :biggrin:
Original post by Pride
this thread should have ended here, spot on.

thank you :smile:
Original post by minimarshmallow
Please don't take this as me attacking you, but if you were in a room with two other people who speak your native language, and one person who only spoke English (in England for arguments sake); would you find it unreasonable if the English-only speaker was uncomfortable with the three of you conversing in your native language?
I say this only because I was once in my own kitchen with 3 Chinese girls (my flatmate and her friends) waiting for my Chinese friend (from my course, they didn't know each other at all) to come round, and when he arrived he told me that he'd heard them slagging me off because I couldn't understand them. Also happened with a friend of mine who was in a room with 3 Norwegian people and they were slagging her off because they thought she didn't understand their language (she rang her mum and she said they looked horrified when they realised).

I'm not saying you're the kind of person who would do this, but as someone who has experienced this, would I be unreasonable to be uncomfortable if 3 people were conversing in their native language in a very closed environment with one English-only speaker?

Otherwise, I find this fine. Without trying making a generalisation without knowing you, I assume you're more comfortable speaking your native language when you can, as I assume I would be if I were in a country where the language was different.

no im not offended and im sorry this happened to you. I do understand what you are saying that it might make you uncomfortable since you may get the idea that they are slagging you off, its only reasonable for you to feel that way. :about your friend's room mate, well not much i can say except that you are gonna encounter people like that. the bottom line, your feelings are justified. hope it doesn't happen 2 u again
Reply 223
I can understand as to why natives would be quite annoyed by the fact an increasing number of foreigners (that live in Britain) can not speak English.

Havent really researched this but, perhaps government initiatives need to be initiated to tackle this "problem" The counter-argument to this is, however, that this is costly but perhaps the benefits would outweigh the costs of said schemes.

p.s havent read the OP
I agree that everyone should speak english though. I mean If british people go to another country they do tend to learn that language so people coming to the UK should learn English... Totally know what the person saying about the flatmates means
However, I dont think its right to have the attitude of "Keep Britain British" - thats quite closed minded. Other cultures only strengthen the british culture. I mean much of the "British" culture was influenced by things seen in the british colonies and brought back.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Desperate Scousewives, TOWIE, Made in Chelsea good examples? Jesus wept.

Try Only Fools and Horses or I'm Alan Partridge, British programming at it's best. I would be utterly ashamed to show Desperate Scousewives or TOWIE to someone from another country and proudly say "this is where I live".

I agree with you 100% on that one. +rep

EDIT : whoever negged me your a funny guy
(edited 12 years ago)
If there are two foreign people talking to each other, then they have every right to speak their own language, if you don't like hearing it thats your issue.

Also, I work alongside a polish guy who can barley speak a word of English. I speak no Polish, yet we find ways to communicate, I manage to tell him what jobs need doing and with key phrases like "okay? OKAY!" "no problem no problem" and "ahh.....kaput" the job gets done. He is also one of the nicest guys and most hardworking guys I know, the guy can fix anything using anything, he's like Maguyver or something.
Reply 227
Firstly you need to have a serious talk with your gf about this instead of attacking foreigners with a keyboard. To me it seems like you have a problem with her family and culture which is slightly hypocritical since you are supposed to love her, 'flaws' and all. :confused::hmmmm2:

But in a way i understand you because im Portuguese and i lived there for the first 10 years of my life and im very proud of my background so if anyone ever came to my country and started forcing their own cultural aspects down my throat i wouldn't be happy. However i can still be proud of my country and accept other cultures, me and my parents find the british culture quite interesting and we try to integrate ourselves, and if you don't like it don't try and change the country, go back to your own.:wink:

I find the british very tolerable in that sense. Where i live there's a mosque/synagogue within every 2 miles. If i ever went to Sudan/Pakistan/Nigeria and started preaching about Jesus or probably just started reading the bible in public they would most likely stone me to death.:rolleyes:

It's a lie when people say Britain is multi-cultural country, every race seems to be comfortable into segregating each other into their own corners of London for example(with exceptions of course). But why do you think this happens? Probably because don't bother/want to understand each other's differences. This is your problem i think. Did you ever ask your gf's parents why they want you to learn their language?
Reply 228
Indeed I do. British citizen and taxpayer as well.

Oh and England does not have much of a culture, it is mostly binge drinking and social networking, if people come here legally and bring their own culture and interests, great. I say we take the best of all of them and make a new culture instead of making people feel unwelcome.

...English people feel unwelcome. Maybe they want to retain their heritage rather than being a part of your "new culture" experiment. Btw if I had said that Ghana or Nigeria "doesn't have much of a culture" you know what you'd be saying.

It's all so disingenuous.
Reply 229
Original post by madders94
I think English is appropriate here, actually. This seems to be fairly restricted to England - in Wales we speak Welsh, at least in the north we do, and yet we don't go to England for a week and demand they speak our language and make our food and live by our culture - and yet, if you look at the English on holiday in places like France or Spain, I've seen people demand that they stop speaking Spanish so that they can understand. No, you learn some of the language (enough to get by) before you go!

I used to work on a holiday site popular with English tourists from the Midlands, Liverpool and Manchester mostly, and I did have a few times where people saw it fit to come up and complain about the Welsh people speaking Welsh, insisting that we should all speak English when they're around because it's rude. If I want to have a conversation with someone who I usually converse with in Welsh, and there is an English person nearby who isn't part of the conversation whatsoever, why should I change to please him?

I'm not expecting them to learn to speak Welsh, because that's just as bad as the OP. If they do come and live here, if they do learn to speak it, that's great, but if they don't, as long as they don't insist we all change for them, it's absolutely fine. I've never seen a Welsh person get as millitant about immigrants and their integration or lack of it as the English do.

Look at welsh and english demographics.

Remember that it doesn't violate PC rules to be proud of being Welsh. English people aren't allowed to talk about being proud of being english, wanting to retain the culture, language etc.
Reply 230
Original post by Anonymous
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

So I got a few points out of this:

1) Your upset because you can't listen in on other peoples conversations
2) Your upset that people get jobs, who don't fully understand the language. Does that mean English people shouldn't be allowed to get a job in Scotland?
3) Your upset that your girlfriend wants you to learn her language. Why are you so upset when your fine with those phrase books?

And also, I bet that most of the people you hear talking in a different language do actually speak English, they just prefer talking to their friends in that language since it is natural to them.
Go to Spain I'm sure there are plenty of expats speaking English there.
Original post by Bonged.
...English people feel unwelcome. Maybe they want to retain their heritage rather than being a part of your "new culture" experiment. Btw if I had said that Ghana or Nigeria "doesn't have much of a culture" you know what you'd be saying.

It's all so disingenuous.

:confused:
Reply 233
:confused:

Whats wrong?
I agree with you OP.

If people wish to live in England then they should be able to speak English, or at least attempt to learn. This is the same for any country; if i wanted to live in Spain then i should learn to speak Spanish! I read on one post, can’t remember who, that when going on holiday people don’t learn the language. Personally, i think going on holiday to a country and wanting to live there is completely different. When i go on holiday i want to have a break, experience another countries culture and history, enjoy experiences which are unique to their country but i haven’t got time to be learning an entire language for every country i wish to visit for a week. I have a life. I don’t want to live there - just spend a week or two. Ok, i attempt to learn the basics so i can order food, greet people, and know general phrases but nothing beyond that.

I went to university a couple of years ago to find the majority of my class spoke in another language, literally 100% of the time - unless talking to teachers. I felt like i wasn’t in England. I felt scared and alien in my own university and that’s what’s unfair! I am in England and went to an English university yet couldn’t communicate with people because they choose not to speak English. I don’t see why i should learn to speak their language when i’m in England. People say we shouldn't make them loose their culture; well i don’t want to lose mine. I want to speak English when I’m in England. I want to be able to go to university and communicate with people without feeling out of place. I don’t think it’s much to ask.

If people want to leave in England then attempt to learn English! I don’t expect people to speak perfectly but just attempt to learn.
Reply 235
This country is a lost cause. Find a country with a future like NZ or Aus, as far away from Europe as possible that still has relative control over its economy. Countries where you actually have to be good at something to get in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 236
Original post by WhuTom
This country is a lost cause. Find a country with a future like NZ or Aus, as far away from Europe as possible that still has relative control over its economy. Countries where you actually have to be good at something to get in.

Not just this country. All of north western europe.

Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark are all having the same experiences as us in terms of having their native populations replaced.
Reply 237
Ok, so I can see both sides of this. The thing is, I think we ought to sit in the middle somewhere.Its ok to still speak your language, support your country, be proud of your nationality and live abroad. But you should definetly learn the local language too, get involved with their culture. Its a hard thing to manage, I know, but if you choose to move to a new country, make an effort to support that country. But don't feel like you have to abandon your culture. You don't. Just accept that where you live now isn't your home country. It is different. Embrace that. Accept it. Everywhere would be somuch better.
You're taking the piss tbh. Our drinking culture is notorious and even if other countries drank more it doesn't make it any less of a problem. One of the saddest sights I see is when I'm in the supermarket and the amount of alcohol people buy, it depresses me. And yes I am miserable about it, I see it controlling many people's lives, and killing people close to me, yet people play it down and tell me I'm a killjoy or a spoilsport? Alcohol is a hard drug, yet we get a pass to abuse it. Post on Facebook about waking up in your own vomit after a party where you injected heroin and people will think you have serious problems. Do the same but from alcohol and you'll probably get about 10 people click 'like' and call you a legend for it.

Scroll through your Facebook news feed and look at the amount of mavericks who post about how "messy" they got last night. :rolleyes:

Abusing alcohol is glorified and actually encouraged here amongst the majority of young people. Older people don't glorify it as much but that's probably down to them being alcoholics by then.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188902

http://www.guardian.co.uk/healthcare-network/2012/feb/01/alcohol-abuse-crisis-point-britain

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-alcohol-problem-our-green-and-drunken-land-397057.html

You a Palace fan?
Reply 239
You now have to pass a basic language test to immigrate to the UK.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest

Trending

Trending