The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3760
Original post by ConnorB
I seriously don't understand Rod cells when exposed to light and exposed to darkness.

Could someone "Enlighten" me please" :colone:

...Revision does crazy **** to people.

rod cells are located in the and allow vision in black and white. Cone cells allow vision in colour.
rods contain a light sensitive pigment called rhodopsin which is made up of retinal and opsin.

WHEN ITS DARK youre rod cells arent stimulated so the Na+ ions which are actively transported out of the cell diffuses straight back in. which means no action potential as there is no depolarisation.

WHEN ITS LIGHT the rod cells are stimulated and here is why. the photosensitive pigment called rhodopsin breaks down in light into retinal and opsin. this bit is known as bleaching. when the cell is bleached Na+ ion channels are closed and the Na+ ions are actively transported outside. this causes hyperpolarisation as the outside is more positive than the inside. if the rod cell is hyperpolarised then it stops releasing neurotransmitters to inhibit the bipolar neurone, and an action potential can be sent along the bipolar neurone as it is now susceptible to depolarisation.

and oh yeah. when rhodopsin is broken down in light, it is reformed in the dark so it can be reused essentially. the reformation of rhodopsin is called dark adaptation. this is the reason why when you go from a bright surrounding to a dark you cant see s*** at first then you get used to tthe dark and you start seeing stuff.

hope it helps :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3761
Original post by M Kh
I am not really sure about what raw marks I got - probably above 70%.

Read all of the predicted questions with answers today evening itself. I mean it is very important so reading all questions with answers is worth the time especially if they are by Sir V. Redden because he is very good in predicting. Don't panic about what's the best way to revise - just revise the way you feel most comfortable about. You have to become familair with the article so read it every now and then and understand how one part links with the other and in what ways. Also make your own question bank with short questions and try to answer them whenevr you ahve time. Read the textbook and the notes that I will link you to (I will quote you soon) to understand the spec. and hopefully you will be sorted out for the exam. Good luck.

thanks :smile: haha yeahh i think im just gonna make sure i know topic 7/8 like the back of my hand and then do what you said for the article. i looked last night and i couldnt find the predicted qs from sir v redden? i googled it lol not sure if i was sposed to look on a specific site? i'll try again, thanks so much :smile:
Reply 3762
Original post by Dixie
thanks :smile: haha yeahh i think im just gonna make sure i know topic 7/8 like the back of my hand and then do what you said for the article. i looked last night and i couldnt find the predicted qs from sir v redden? i googled it lol not sure if i was sposed to look on a specific site? i'll try again, thanks so much :smile:

if you find it could you post a link on here please? thanks
Reply 3763
Original post by 19941994
Hey :smile: 118/120 is amazing well done! Did you firstly memorise everything then do past papers? Is the only way to prepare for the pre release guessing and answering questions? Finally (sorry about the questions lol) did you go over units 1, 2 and 4 before the exam? I feel like I need to do all of the above but wont have enough time before friday! :/

Oh thanks a lot.
I first UNDERSTOOD evrything in the spec. from the Revision Guide, Textbook and the notes that I have (I will quote you guys when I will upload them).

I did only a few past papers due to lack of time but I did not solve the article questions in each past paper because I would first have to understand the article of each paper which I didn't really have time for.

Well to prepare for the article:
I suggest read it a couple of times first to allow it to sink in. Get two copies of the article.

If English is not ur first language and u do not understand the meanings of any word(s) within the article, do find out what the word(s) mean. They might be barriers to ur understanding of the article.

Find out what areas of the ur A/L spec r woven into the article and do not forget to revise those concepts thoroughly along with any other concepts that seem relevant.

Use highlighters to highlight key concepts in one of the two copies of the article you have.

Read the article frequently. You might not understand everything on the article after reading it for the first time. So do read it frequently and try to find links to concepts u already know. You might also understand a new thing everytime u read it.

Use google and wikipedia to get more information on unfamiliar contexts mentioned frequently in the article. This might not be asked for in ur exam but this might help u to link ur A/L concepts in the context of the article.

Remember, this is a scientific article so make sure u can explain the facts within the article using ur A/L knowledge and concepts where possible. You might also need to use knowledge and concepts from more than one specification unit to explain ideas.

Learn any relevant GCE Biology definitions and be strict with urself when u do so.

Summarise the article under headings and sub-headings to demonstrate to yourself how well u hav understood the scientific content of the article. Moreover, this will force u to bring ideas given in different parts of the article under one sub-heading using bullet-pointed lists.

The most important one - UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND. If u do not understand the scientific article and simply read it for the sake of reading it or rely on ur teachers fully to help u understand it, then it won't work. Once u understand it, u can ask ur teacher to give u questions for practice. But understand it for urself frst.

Predict what questions can come up and try to answer them. Answer questions that your fellow candidates and teachers have predicted because what they predict might have not have crossed your head before and could come up.

Article questions can also test you on the core practicals so try to find those links.

Revise the AS spec. I made a table with headings: unit 1, unit 2, unit 3, unit 4 and unit 5, and then read the article thoroughly and identified which parts from each of the 4 units can be tested in the article question and made a list under each heading. I then read the relevant topics from each of the units for extra revision. I also read through my AS book for a few topics that I thought were too basic. I also read the AS topics I was very weak on just in case.

Re-visit each topic again and again so that it gets drilled into your head.

If you don't have time for past papers and you feel that you have to still learn the spec., don't worry and learn your spec. from the revision guides, textbook and the notes that I will link you guys to.
Original post by Dixie
i looked last night and i couldnt find the predicted qs from sir v redden? i googled it lol not sure if i was sposed to look on a specific site? i'll try again, thanks so much :smile:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/89838095/Scientific-Article-Questions-Answers-by-Stafford-Final

:smile:
Reply 3765
Original post by Dixie

Yes, there's a lot to learn in unit 5 so make sure u know ur spec. inside out. Oh and do prepare for the synoptic questions. I hope you find those questions.
Original post by wam-bam
heart muscle is myogenic, what is meant by myogenic (3 marks)

Myogenic means that the contraction is initiated by the muscle itself - as opposed to an outside stimulus. It is not controlled consciously.
Therefore the pattern of the heartbeat is controlled by the heart muscles..
Reply 3768
Original post by M Kh
Oh thanks a lot.
I first UNDERSTOOD evrything in the spec. from the Revision Guide, Textbook and the notes that I have (I will quote you guys when I will upload them).

I did only a few past papers due to lack of time but I did not solve the article questions in each past paper because I would first have to understand the article of each paper which I didn't really have time for.

I suggest read it a couple of times first to allow it to sink in. Get two copies of the article.

If English is not ur first language and u do not understand the meanings of any word(s) within the article, do find out what the word(s) mean. They might be barriers to ur understanding of the article.

Find out what areas of the ur A/L spec r woven into the article and do not forget to revise those concepts thoroughly along with any other concepts that seem relevant.

Use highlighters to highlight key concepts in one of the two copies of the article you have.

Read the article frequently. You might not understand everything on the article after reading it for the first time. So do read it frequently and try to find links to concepts u already know. You might also understand a new thing everytime u read it.

Use google and wikipedia to get more information on unfamiliar contexts mentioned frequently in the article. This might not be asked for in ur exam but this might help u to link ur A/L concepts in the context of the article.

Remember, this is a scientific article so make sure u can explain the facts within the article using ur A/L knowledge and concepts where possible. You might also need to use knowledge and concepts from more than one specification unit to explain ideas.

Learn any relevant GCE Biology definitions and be strict with urself when u do so.

Summarise the article under headings and sub-headings to demonstrate to yourself how well u hav understood the scientific content of the article. Moreover, this will force u to bring ideas given in different parts of the article under one sub-heading using bullet-pointed lists.

The most important one - UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND. If u do not understand the scientific article and simply read it for the sake of reading it or rely on ur teachers fully to help u understand it, then it won't work. Once u understand it, u can ask ur teacher to give u questions for practice. But understand it for urself frst.

Predict what questions can come up and try to answer them. Answer questions that your fellow candidates and teachers have predicted because what they predict might have not have crossed your head before and could come up.

Article questions can also test you on the core practicals so try to find those links.

Revise the AS spec. I made a table with headings: unit 1, unit 2, unit 3, unit 4 and unit 5, and then read the article thoroughly and identified which parts from each of the 4 units can be tested in the article question and made a list under each heading. I then read the relevant topics from each of the units for extra revision. I also read through my AS book for a few topics that I thought were too basic. I also read the AS topics I was very weak on just in case.

If you don't have time for past papers and you feel that you have to still learn the spec., don't worry and learn your spec. from the revision guides, textbook and the notes that I will link you guys to.

thaaaaaaaaaanks alooooot u r such a great person :biggrin:
Reply 3769
started at 11 and just finished making notes on topic 7. Topic 8, article and core practicals here i come. then tomorrow just Qs to do:biggrin:
Reply 3770
too much to remember from AS. can't do
Reply 3771
Original post by wam-bam
please could you also send me the notes, or post them here?
also do you know around what time you'll be able to do this by?
thank you

Sure, hopfully by tonight.

Meanwhile, check these article questions by Sir V. Redden: http://www.scribd.com/doc/89838095/Scientific-Article-Questions-Answers-by-Stafford-Final

Last year, I used the predicted questions and answers by him and many questions from those came up. I printed off his Qns&Ans like 2 months before the exam and read those everyday.
Reply 3772
Original post by ghogho
thaaaaaaaaaanks alooooot u r such a great person :biggrin:

No probs.

Meanwhile, check these article questions by Sir V. Redden: http://www.scribd.com/doc/89838095/S...Stafford-Final

Last year, I used the predicted questions and answers by him and many questions from those came up. I printed off his Qns&Ans like 2 months before the exam and read those everyday.
Reply 3773
Original post by ferra
can anyone upload the spec here?

Chck the edexcel website, it's there.
Reply 3774
oh yeah someone on this thread asked why does slow twitch fibres have more myoglobin than fast twitch. just read in the student book that slow twitch fibres have a good supply of of oxygen due to their association with numerous capillaries. since myoglobin is a store of oxygen and only releases it when oxygen levels fall too low, there are more in slow twitch.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by iesians
- fill the tank with oxygen
-insert a mouthpiece into someons mouth (lol ofcourse)
- place a nose clip on their nose.
-allow them to breathe through the mouthpiece for a while to acclimatise.
-connect the mouthpiece tot he oxygen chamber and turn on the kymograph rotation.
-allow them to breathe calmly for a minute and then advice them to breathe in as fully as possible followed by max forced exhalation.
- stop the rotating drum.
-the pen would have marked a spirometer trace for you.
-read off the tidal volume and vital capacity form the trace.

Oh yeahh !! Also calibrate the chart beforehand to read off the volume !

Hope it helps !! :d

tank youuu!!!!!!!!! Xxxx
Reply 3776
Original post by i Pav i
Does anyone know ALL of the core experiments we should know for Unit 5?

e.g. The woodlice and measuring oxygen uptake..

There's other ones that I can't remember?

Thanks!

Check the spec. available on the Edexcel website for free download. The spec. points in bold are the core pracs.
Reply 3777
do we really need to know the whole proof by induction of de moivre? or is not worth learning?
something to do with myoglobin having higher affinity to oxygen. 1 chain not 4 etc.
Reply 3778
Original post by M Kh
Check the spec. available on the Edexcel website for free download. The spec. points in bold are the core pracs.

where can we find the synoptic topics we need to know?
and omgg, you are sooo prepared dudee!
Reply 3779
Original post by M Kh
Oh thanks a lot.

Wow thank you so much thats really good advice :biggrin:
Also thanks for the link to the questions that Sir Redden suggested, really useful :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

Quick Reply

Latest