The Student Room Group

Work experience letter... help?

Hey
Please may you check out my work experience letter, Is there anything I shoudl include/change?
Thank you :smile:

17 May 2009

Re: Veterinary work experience

Dear Sir or Madam

I write this letter to enquire whether you may offer a placement to me at your veterinary practise/ farm/ kennels in order for me to gain some invaluable work experience.

I am currently sixteen years old and am studying for my GCSEs at ____ School in ___ and wish to gain an insight in to the world or animals and veterinary, it is also required to assure a place in veterinary school at university.

Education
I have just completed my GCSEs and hope to continue studying at _____ School Sixth Form to study: chemistry, biology, maths and geography in September.

Predicted GCSE grades
Biology A*
Business and Communications Systems A*
Chemistry A*
English Language A*
English Literature A
French A
Geography A*
History A*
French A
Maths A
Physics A
Religious Education (short course) A*
Statistics A

Experience
I have already completed a two week placement at _________ Veterinary Clinic in _______ and can provide a very positive reference and statement from my supervisor. I also have experience with handling small and large animals as I have had many pets and also own a horse.

Personal Qualities and Interests
I believe myself to be hard working, intuitive and friendly however most importantly passionate about animals. I regularly participate in many extra curricular activities with school such as netball, football and tennis; recently I have attended extra voluntary science lessons at school and am a member of the riding club team as well as regularly eventing.

If you could offer me a placement during the summer holidays between 20th June-13th July or 15th August-1st September or on a Saturday for any period of time I would be hugely grateful.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sounds pretty good, you dont really need to include your gcse subjects or predicted grades though as most w/e placements wont be too interested
and also... when asking for a placement i always try to say i am inquiring about a voluntary placement and then go on to say what kind of experience you're after i.e shadowing a vet, learning about how commercial kennels are run etc etc
they love to see enthusiasm so even if they ignore your first letter, write again or email or ring... be persistant!
Reply 2
you sound like you're trying to make it too fancy
Reply 3
starfall
sounds pretty good, you dont really need to include your gcse subjects or predicted grades though as most w/e placements wont be too interested
and also... when asking for a placement i always try to say i am inquiring about a voluntary placement and then go on to say what kind of experience you're after i.e shadowing a vet, learning about how commercial kennels are run etc etc
they love to see enthusiasm so even if they ignore your first letter, write again or email or ring... be persistant!

Thank you very much... brilliant tips
:biggrin:
X
Make sure you say its a voluntary placement your after, as dont want to count the number of replys ive had saying sorry we cant afford to take on any more staff at this time
Reply 5
As someone who has been involved in recruitment (not for vets though), I'd say the following things:

Don't forget to attach your CV
Make sure the covering letter and CV is tailored to the company you're applying for, don't just name drop
Check your CV carefully for SPG mistakes. Employers notice these things
Maybe do a bit of research on each company you're applying to and mention something of their current affairs in your cover letter, this should show them you're serious
As Starfall says, make sure you tell them what you're wanting to get out of the experience. I do think your grades are worth showing though. They're high enough!!
Reply 6
Veggiechic
As someone who has been involved in recruitment (not for vets though), I'd say the following things:

Don't forget to attach your CV
Make sure the covering letter and CV is tailored to the company you're applying for, don't just name drop
Check your CV carefully for SPG mistakes. Employers notice these things
Maybe do a bit of research on each company you're applying to and mention something of their current affairs in your cover letter, this should show them you're serious
As Starfall says, make sure you tell them what you're wanting to get out of the experience. I do think your grades are worth showing though. They're high enough!!

Thank you veggiechick!
Very helpful
I don't have a CV because I haven't done any work yet, all I have is in that letter so I suppose that'll do
Thank you
x
Reply 7
blackmillie
Thank you veggiechick!
Very helpful
I don't have a CV because I haven't done any work yet, all I have is in that letter so I suppose that'll do
Thank you
x

Glad I could help. I recon you should still draw up a CV though, you'll need one at some point if not for this job. The CV would have your personal details, education, work exp, hobbies and interests, refs. And then the cover letter just introduces you, your purpose for writing, and exactly why you should be considered for the job (mentioning relevant CV highlights and going into detail) Probably don't make it more than a page long. Lots of white space and double spacing or an employer may just be put off and not read it properly.
Good luck
Reply 8
Veggiechic
Glad I could help. I recon you should still draw up a CV though, you'll need one at some point if not for this job. The CV would have your personal details, education, work exp, hobbies and interests, refs. And then the cover letter just introduces you, your purpose for writing, and exactly why you should be considered for the job (mentioning relevant CV highlights and going into detail) Probably don't make it more than a page long. Lots of white space and double spacing or an employer may just be put off and not read it properly.
Good luck

Thanks ever so much,
I will do, I think I did one at school I while ago which I have since lost.. must get on to it.
Brilliant advice
X
Reply 9
If I'm honest, I wouldn't bother with a CV, most vet practices and farmers are just not interested in reading it all and you aren't actually applying for a standard job. Most of the time these are extremely busy people you are contacting so they won't be wanting to read a really long winded letter, they simply don't have the time.

With my letters, I kept them nice and short and to the point, a brief description of who I am, why I want to do work experience, what kind of worker I am and I also didn't specify dates because they usually ring you to book the time anyway and it sounds kind of presumtuous to me...You want to give off an impression of flexibility even if you do have specific dates in mind. I.e you want to get your foot in the door first!

I would then wait a couple of weeks and if I hadn't had a response I would follow it up with a polite phone call. This seemed to be a winning formula for me anyway.
Reply 10
I think it's good, although I don't think you need to put the actual subjects there; maybe just "I am predicted all A*s and As at GCSE etc". Farmers probably won't care about that, but I know some vets who said they wouldn't take work experience unless they were sure they were capable of studying Vet Med.
I also don't like the subtitles, but that might just me. In my opinion, it makes it look a bit like a cross between a letter and a CV.

But besides that, it's looking good, good luck :smile:
Just send it to as many places as possible, and if you can, deliver it by hand and speak to them. Remember to phone shortly after you're sure they've received it.
Reply 11
Thank you for all your help :smile:
Agreed a CV is overkill. At most I wrote a polite letter to scores of places describing who I was, what situation I was in, etc. I got plenty of letters without mentioning predicted grades a CV, etc. For a lot of my placements I actually just called them and/or knocked on the door, most farms, kennels, etc are just happy for the free extra pair of hands.

You want to come across as a professional, nail your SPG, write formally, etc. You also want to come across as motivated, dedicated, hard working, etc. The last thing a practice wants is a dull student to stand in the corner all day with no interest in the subject yacking down his/her phone. Mention your previous placements, maybe enclose a few photocopies of your references, etc.
Ring up first and say you're interested and who should you send the letter to. I find they prefer to have an individual letter sent to the correct person and also several times I have been told don't worry about the letter and have just organised it over the phone right then.
Reply 14
I'm going to agree with everyone else for the mostpart. For a voluntary work exp placement that is only going to last a couple of weeks you needn't bother including a CV, nor your grades. Not even your extra-curriculars really. Alright, a veterinary surgery might be somewhat interested but a farmer or cattery manager is generally just going to be keen to get an extra pair of hands for free for a couple of weeks.

Do make sure that your spelling and grammar is up to scratch, however, and make sure you advertise yourself as being dedicated, keen to work etc (you've made a good start on this bit :yep:)

The best piece of advice I could give you though, is to use letters more confirmation purposes.
Most of my placements (in fact all of them except those that specifically demanded on websites etc that I forwarded a letter) were obtained simply by calling up/popping in. Several pros to this; you get instant results instead of waiting days and days for responses; you can ask as many questions as you like, as can the propertior; and let's face it, it saves money on stamps :wink:
If they then ask you to send a letter, just to confirm dates or something, then you can do so.
what emily said is the best way to do it, but i would have spent quite a bit of money getting to my placements then. i found emailing was useful, cos then the person can reply at a time suitable to them etc, but if you dont get a reply within about a week phone up, just to let them know you are serious and not just sending emails out everyhere (eventhough you may be).
so do whatever you think best, but most of the time a long letter like that isnt necessary, i have got severeal placements just by emailing a short note asking for a placement.
They dont really want to know all your grades, they just don't want you to waste your/their time if you say wanted to be a vet but had a load of E's at GCSE, and it wasn't going to happen.

As long as you come across as friendly and fairly smart, I'm sure you'll be fine there. Extra curric, maybe not necessary.

I can't be bothered to dig one up but my letters were usually quite brief. You just have to be polite and use phrases like "free labour", "don't mind getting hands dirty", you know the deals.

also, ringing people up is usually easier and shows you're friendly and not shy
I must say though, all the vet practices I contacted wanted a letter instead of a phonecall whereas other places like farms, animal centers etc were just as satisfied if you gave them a ring.
Reply 18
Thank you :smile:
I'll phone to the farms then and send my letter to the vets.
HOping to cram a load in during Summer
XXX
Reply 19
blackmillie

Predicted GCSE grades
Biology A*
Business and Communications Systems A*
Chemistry A*
English Language A*
English Literature A
French A
Geography A*