The Student Room Group

5/3/1 attempt no.2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by redbuthotter
Sup man, nice training, I'm a little too lazy to read 531 manual again - Could you explain how the deload/going into the 2nd 4 week cycle works - like do you just add 2.5kg to every set/rep or... is it done another way?

I'm gonna start up my hybrid 531/WS4SB log 2moro.

Sorry for the late reply man. Basically what you do is, you have your training max, and after every cycle you add 2.5kg to bench and press, and 5kg for squat/dl and then take percentages from there.

e.g. current bench training max, 100kg. Do the weeks, 85%, 90% and 95%. For the next cycle you'd put your training max 102.5kg and take the percentages off that.
No probs, What I meant though was - the deload every 4 weeks, is it necessary/are you going to do it?

So far to me it seems like I'll be doing 85% * 90% for max reps which is around 10 reps for most of the excercises!
Original post by u4m1r
I tried to do some GHR's but whenever I try, I always get an immense pain in my calves? Why is this?

One of your calf muscles attaches at both knee and ankle joints and helps to flex the knee. If it's not used to that kind of movement, it can cramp.

redbuthotter

You're supposed to have a lot in the tank for the first few cycles of 5/3/1
But you can go balls to the wall >5.... basically means as much as your comfortable doing without failing - so at 70% ish that'll equate to 10 reps.

Original post by The Blind Monk
One of your calf muscles attaches at both knee and ankle joints and helps to flex the knee. If it's not used to that kind of movement, it can cramp.

You're supposed to have a lot in the tank for the first few cycles of 5/3/1
What I mean by something left in the tank is that you're doing what you're supposed to: get lots of reps on the 5/3/1 sets. Basically you're doing exactly what Wendler intends for your presses.
Reply 45
Was supposed to train today but didn't. It was only supposed to be a light swuat workout so there was no motivation. Back to normal from tommorow hopefully.
See, 5/3/1 is even ****ing with your motivation! Just ditch it already.
Lol. Smack's probably right, you know.
Reply 48
Original post by Smack
See, 5/3/1 is even ****ing with your motivation! Just ditch it already.

Original post by Arturo Bandini
Lol. Smack's probably right, you know.

Any good alternatives to 5/3/1 then? It's working for deadlift so I'll keep the 5/3/1 rep scheme for deadlifts but I do think I need to be benching and squatting heavy more often. Will see how the benching goes today.
You should do the ed coan deadlift routine and see if you can get your deadlift up to 6 plates :biggrin:

since you don't like
squatting
Original post by u4m1r
Any good alternatives to 5/3/1 then? It's working for deadlift so I'll keep the 5/3/1 rep scheme for deadlifts but I do think I need to be benching and squatting heavy more often. Will see how the benching goes today.

C/P deadlifts, once a week, and whatever maybe some heavy/light/medium for squats, bench and press.
What were you doing when you got your bench from 90 to 140 in 6 months or whatever insanely small amount of time it was? Stick with what works, I say.
What were you doing when you got your bench from 90 to 140 in 6 months or whatever insanely small amount of time it was?

This is relevant to my interests.
Thing is your hitting rep PB's on the lifts every week.... maybe just accelerate it a bit.... and go from there.
Reply 54
What were you doing when you got your bench from 90 to 140 in 6 months or whatever insanely small amount of time it was? Stick with what works, I say.

Ed Coan bench cycle got my bench from 100 to 122.5 in 12 weeks. Then got to 140 doing Texas Method in 5 months after that.
Reply 55
Bench

Bar x 5
60kg x 5
90kg x 5

105kg x 10

Nice rep PR, about 1 more in the tank.

CGBP

72.5kg x 8
72.5kg x 5
100kg x 6

Lots of Dips

Bent rows

80kg x 8
80kg x 8
90kg x 8

Kroc Rows

30kg x 30 each hand

Lots of pull ups

I think its too early to assess any progress. I'll see after 3 cycles or so.
Reply 56
Deadlift

70kg x 5
110kg x 5

135kg x 5
155kg x 5
175kg x 12 - PR

Rack Pulls (from knee height)

110kg x 3
150kg x 3
180kg x 2
210kg x 2
230kg x 2
250kg x 0 - Didn't budge at all.

Leg Curls
Leg Press

Didn't do abs, I've been getting lazy regarding abs recently. Need to sort it out.
Reply 57
Looking good bro :yy:

Congrats on the PR

:congrats:
Reply 58
Strong deadlift progress.
Reply 59
After some long hard thinking, I've come to the conclusion that benching is my forte, and I think I can be progressing faster using something more basic. Looking back at my old blog, the Texas Method was still working, I just felt like it was time for change.

I might go back to what I was doing before(regarding benching) 5x5 on Monday and then 1-5RM on Friday. But 5x5 is a killer, and so maybe do something like 3x5 Monday and Friday, increasing weight each workout. Any suggestions appreciated.

For deadlift, the 5/3/1 scheme is fun, and I think it is working well so I'll stick to that. Overhead pressing I'll probably do like I used to maybe some light pressing on wednesdays or something. And squat, who gives a **** about that I'll do whatever and wherever I can fit them in.

Quick Reply

Latest