The Student Room Group

If you could live during any period, in any country...

Where and when would you choose, and why?

For myself, I'd love to have lived during the beautiful era, or 'La Belle Époque', in France. To be the same age as I am now around 1900 - 1910. Man, that would have been amazing. Just...amazing.

The period was famously painted copious times by French artists Eugène Galien-Laloue, Georges Seurat, Jean Beraud, Renoir and many others. Some images:

Interesting in seeing the responses. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How analytically can we approach this?
Reply 2
Original post by philistine

For myself, I'd love to have lived during the beautiful era, or 'La Belle Époque', in France. To be the same age as I am now around 1900 - 1910. Man, that would have been amazing. Just...amazing.

The period was famously painted copious times by French artists Eugène Galien-Laloue, Georges Seurat, Jean Beraud, Renoir and many others. Some images:

you should go see Midnight In Paris (Woody Allen's latest film).
Reply 3
Maybe Victorian London, and be an upper class male, when imperialism seemed the future and the London's alleys were home to scheming crooks and genius detectives; when there were still white spaces on the map.

Maybe in Classical Greece when idiosyncratic groups like the Cynics roamed the streets masturbating in public to prove a philosophical point.

Then maybe during prehistory, when people were migrating from Africa across areas now covered by sea, and there were dinosaurs to slay and maidens to woo.

Medieval England because of swords and dragons, and tables round and castles strong.

Maybe the early 60s in America, where I would be an undrafted beatnik turned hippie with enviable access to LSD and DMT.

Sorry if I made any anachronisms, or what the scientists like to call "factual errors".

also the Wild West.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd still pick the present and maybe just change country. Australia or America perhaps.
I'd love to be a warrior or warlord-king in either the middle ages or greek/roman/persian times.
I would live in the present, the standard of living has never been higher. I might stay in England, maybe move to Australia.
1990's America!
Reply 8
Actually, forget analysis. I would live in Tombstone, Arizona Territory, 1879 as part of the Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp's band of lawmen duelling with the Cowboys at the Gunfight at O.K. Corral,
The Hunnic Empire, 450AD, Germany. The pleasure of having multiple wives and burning down everything that doesn't belong to you.
1960s America, definitely.
Reply 11
During 620 A.D..Subhanallah:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Reggio
How analytically can we approach this?

As great or as little as you like!

Original post by Notethis
Maybe Victorian London, and be an upper class male, when imperialism seemed the future and the London's alleys were home to scheming crooks and genius detectives; when there were still white spaces on the map.

Maybe in Classical Greece when idiosyncratic groups like the Cynics roamed the streets masturbating in public to prove a philosophical point.

Then maybe during prehistory, when people were migrating from Africa across areas now covered by sea, and there were dinosaurs to slay and maidens to woo.

Medieval England because of swords and dragons, and tables round and castles strong.

Maybe the early 60s in America, where I would be an undrafted beatnik turned hippie with enviable access to LSD and DMT.

Sorry if I made any anachronisms, or what the scientists like to call "factual errors".

Diogenes of Sinope? :biggrin:

Victorian London, perhaps around 1880-90 would have been my second choice. To see an original Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera would have been spectacular.

Original post by mayh3m
I'd still pick the present and maybe just change country. Australia or America perhaps.

Boo... :colone:

Original post by LookIt'sPete
I'd love to be a warrior or warlord-king in either the middle ages or greek/roman/persian times.

Be honest with yourself: you'd just like to pillage to your heart's content, right? :ahee:

Be honest with yourself: you'd just like to pillage to your heart's content, right? :ahee:

Nah, not really tbh....

I think I've just been playing too much Oblivion these past few days so I'm completely over-romanticising an age before modern technology :tongue:
Reply 14
ancient greece. i hear they were keen on orgies?
Reply 15
Yes comrade!

But in all seriousness, probably 1920's North West America. BOOM YEARS!
Reply 16

Couldn't agree more
I would live in the period I'm in right now, in the country I'm in right now. :smile:
Reply 18
Probably would live somewhere like America and have it'd so I'd be a teenager in the 80s and a young adult in the 90s... I don't know why, they just seem like a better time. :moon:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
1990's london, basically when Lion king / Aladdin / came out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending