Kings EMDP 2012 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Medican
On which part does it state that?

Its in this file
"Further information about your interview EMPD pdf":smile:
Reply 201
For the people who got the interview what kind of grades are you on?
Reply 202
Can anyone help me out?

I took double science during my GCSE's. Here's the problem. I have a certificate given to me from OCR with ADDITIONAL science on it but not the previous single science I took the year before. Will I need to request a replacement copy of the single science seeing as I don't have it or will the fact that I have additional science already mean that I don't need it, seeing as you can't do additional science with out having done the single science first.

Sorry if this sounds terribly confusing.

Thanks.
Original post by Medican
Can anyone help me out?

I took double science during my GCSE's. Here's the problem. I have a certificate given to me from OCR with ADDITIONAL science on it but not the previous single science I took the year before. Will I need to request a replacement copy of the single science seeing as I don't have it or will the fact that I have additional science already mean that I don't need it, seeing as you can't do additional science with out having done the single science first.

Sorry if this sounds terribly confusing.

Thanks.

I'd ask your school first, they should have it. If they don't you will have to pay for a new copy. :smile:
Hello All,

Quick question!
I don't have my exam certificates (or have enough time to order them for my interview). Will a statement of results from my school suffice? This is for both GCSE's and A-Levels by the way.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Unsuccessful (or not, as hopefully the case may be) x
Original post by Tausif
you also need to remember that they don't just simply look at the grades but also compare with the school's performence. so probably his school's average performence was better than his gcse grades. Kings also look at ukcat, ps and reference. If the applicant is weak in one of the factors, it doesn't mean he/she will be rejected straight away. applicants with poor ukcat will balance up with strong academics and vice versa. so essentially kings takes an holistic approach to selecting applicants.

UKCAT - 590
AS levels - BCCd

Sorry, but you're wrong. They place more emphasis on your personal statement and reference.

Interview on the 13th! :biggrin:
Original post by Unsuccessful
Hello All,

Quick question!
I don't have my exam certificates (or have enough time to order them for my interview). Will a statement of results from my school suffice? This is for both GCSE's and A-Levels by the way.

I know a person that got rejected from nottingham's foundation course for the very same reason of not having their exam certificates.

The statement of results can easily be forged, and so I doubt they would accept it. If I were you I would call KCL's med admissions team up and ask them directly, instead of asking people on TSR who can only guess :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Surely you need to be more organised if your applying to study medicine?
Reply 208
Original post by TheStudent.
UKCAT - 590
AS levels - BCCd

Sorry, but you're wrong. They place more emphasis on your personal statement and reference.

Interview on the 13th! :biggrin:

Definitely not true. They also take into consideration your school (how you fair amongst your peers) and general background which could be why they chose you but Tausif is right. The general rule is UKCAT against GCSE's. They don't really consider A levels.
Reply 209
Surely you need to be more organised if your applying to study medicine?

This has nothing to do with being organised and it isn't fair to judge. My school for example didn't give me all my GCSE exam certificates (I done some in year 10) but now I've had to request them as they've been thrown away. :smile:

Original post by Unsuccessful
Hello All,

Quick question!

I've called them and they said give them what you have and hand in the rest as soon as possible. Last year the deadline for this was the 30th of march I believe. :smile:
Original post by Medican
Definitely not true. They also take into consideration your school (how you fair amongst your peers) and general background which could be why they chose you but Tausif is right. The general rule is UKCAT against GCSE's. They don't really consider A levels.

Fare*

No idea what you mean by general background. They gain an insight into what you've accomplished and why medicine through your personal statement and reference. I see no other reason as to why they've preferred me over applicants who have gotten higher AS as well as UKCAT scores.

Yep so if, as you say, they don't consider A levels, then the only thing they've got left to base their decision on is:
UKCAT - which I flopped lolll
Personal statement
Reference
GCSEs
Original post by Medican
This has nothing to do with being organised and it isn't fair to judge. My school for example didn't give me all my GCSE exam certificates (I done some in year 10) but now I've had to request them as they've been thrown away. :smile:

I've called them and they said give them what you have and hand in the rest as soon as possible. Last year the deadline for this was the 30th of march I believe. :smile:

Well it all comes down to responsibility. Yours got thrown away... your fault for not collecting it earlier.

If you don't collect your own GCSE certificates, the secretary is not going to chase you around school and hand them to you on a golden plate now are they :rolleyes:
Reply 212
Fare*

No idea what you mean by general background. They gain an insight into what you've accomplished and why medicine through your personal statement and reference. I see no other reason as to why they've preferred me over applicants who have gotten higher AS as well as UKCAT scores.

Yep so if, as you say, they don't consider A levels, then the only thing they've got left to base their decision on is:
UKCAT - which I flopped lolll
Personal statement
Reference
GCSEs

General background is your household, your area, your school. The worse your school the lower your UKCAT and grades can be to get an interview which is why some students get higher offers than others for this course. It's based on their school.
Reply 213
Well it all comes down to responsibility. Yours got thrown away... your fault for not collecting it earlier.

If you don't collect your own GCSE certificates, the secretary is not going to chase you around school and hand them to you on a golden plate now are they :rolleyes:

Surely you need to be more organised less judgemental if your applying to study medicine?

:wink:
Original post by Medican
Surely you need to be more organised less judgemental if your applying to study medicine?

:wink:

Okay fair point, but almost two years have elapsed since GCSE certificates were handed out, and about 2+ months for the AS ceritificates. Not much of an excuse really which is why I commented on his lack of organisation. More than enough time to have them ordered in, rather than leaving it to the last second.
Reply 215
Okay fair point, but almost two years have elapsed since GCSE certificates were handed out, and about 2+ months for the AS ceritificates. Not much of an excuse really which is why I commented on his lack of organisation. More than enough time to have them ordered in, rather than leaving it to the last second.

But like I said, you don't know their situation. And btw, my school never actually gave me certificates at all for the year 10 exams I done, so I had no idea we were supposed to be getting them. I was in year 10. They were my first official exams and I can bet you I won't be the only one with this scenario. We should never be so quick to judge. Just give your advice and avoid headbutting.
Original post by Medican
But like I said, you don't know their situation. And btw, my school never actually gave me certificates at all for the year 10 exams I done, so I had no idea we were supposed to be getting them. I was in year 10. They were my first official exams and I can bet you I won't be the only one with this scenario. We should never be so quick to judge. Just give your advice and avoid headbutting.

No its normal not to receive exam certificates if you've taken your exams in year 10. Its not normal if your in year 13 and still haven't received them.

Its not a case of formulating an opinion within a nanosecond, but rather looking at the scenario and making a well informed judgement. Say you've got paralysis in your legs for two years and can't collect the exam certificates in person, you can still nominate a person to collect them for you, or ask them to send it to you via mail.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 217
No its normal not to receive exam certificates if you've taken your exams in year 10. Its not normal if your still in year 13 and haven't received them.

I mean actual whole GCSEs. A lot of people do some of them a year early.
Original post by Medican
I mean actual whole GCSEs. A lot of people do some of them a year early.

Yes. Thats normal.
Reply 219
Yes. Thats normal.

No it isn't. I should've received certificates.

Quick Reply