The Student Room Group

GCSE Higher Calc March 2012 - Paper and model answers in first post

Scroll to see replies

89 on non-calc and 97 on calc- A*?
Reply 21
How the hell people getting 80 and 90s marks? am i the only person getting 40 marks and 30 marks
how many marks have i lost from the cumulative frequency graph? I accidentally plotted it by the mid point of each graph so it 5 places to the left.
I got about 81 on the first paper and maybe 84/85 on the second - would that be enough for an A*? I already have an A in maths from last year and this is a re-sit, so I really want to get an A*!
Reply 24
how many marks was the histogram question?
what would 174marks be?
Reply 26
For question 22 I did it to 1(d.p) instead of 3sf would I still get all the marks? Secondly, my friends and I did VAT on each tyre then times 3 instead of 3 times the tyre price and then VAT on the that. Which one is correct because the wording of the question isn't clear but sounds like the VAT on each tyre.
Reply 27
if on the last question i had all the workings out. How many marks will i get? i bottled it and used quadratic formula (dont ask me why).
Reply 28
that histogram question tricked me i plotted the last point all the way to 60 so angrrrrrrrrrrry!!!!!!!!
Do you think 178-180 would be enough for an a* ??
Reply 30
I got 97 on CAl (3 marks form Histograms, I fail at those) and 94 for non cal.
But is roughly 175 - 191 enough for a A*?

Thought the Grade Boundaries were around 160? Right?
Reply 31
Original post by spookz
that histogram question tricked me i plotted the last point all the way to 60 so angrrrrrrrrrrry!!!!!!!!

Damn, I was so angry at that...3 marks lost.
I always suck at histograms, and yesterday I blasted it and only worked out the FD and MP.
Didnt plot :/

Turns out I was revising on Mymaths yesterday morning...it had 0.4 too, exactly like the exam (First one was 0.4) = each sqaure = 4 people.

ffs :/
Reply 32
If you get over 176 that's pretty much an A* in the bag, the paper (overall) was easier than the November series but not too easier. I think it will be 168 for A*.
Reply 33
Original post by rdmchill
For question 22 I did it to 1(d.p) instead of 3sf would I still get all the marks? Secondly, my friends and I did VAT on each tyre then times 3 instead of 3 times the tyre price and then VAT on the that. Which one is correct because the wording of the question isn't clear but sounds like the VAT on each tyre.

Either way is acceptable....
VAT per tyre = £13 per tyre...but 20% VAT from all 3 types = £39. Same as £13 x 3

It doesnt matter as long as you got the right ans.

Also, for Qus. 2, it says to an SUITABLE degree of accuracy. I'm nto sure about the 3 S.F but I written down 3.605 which I don't think you will be marked down for feelin thats the suitbale degree of accuracy
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
But yeah this sure is a hard paper.
I didn't do the November resit, I did my in June 2011. However after achieving an A (was 2 marks off A*) I decided to resit this year!

Ofcourse everything is easier now because I actually revised! DOH!
Reply 35
Original post by valerab
how many marks was the histogram question?

2 for table, and 3 for graph I think
Reply 36
If I got 55 on the calc, and 68-72 on the non calc, would that be enough for an A?
Reply 37
Original post by Manunited_96
Would 79 in non calculator and 94 in calculator paper be enough for an A*

More or less. But slight chance u get a high A
Reply 38
I got around 130-140 marks on both papers? Do you think I have a chance of getting an A?
Reply 39
Original post by ata12
If I got 55 on the calc, and 68-72 on the non calc, would that be enough for an A?

Depending on Grade bounday and using the lowest mark on the cal paper, you will just be able to get an A or maybe a high B. Last year summers Grade boundary for A is 121, your 123 with lowest score, cutting it a bit I think

Quick Reply

Latest