The Student Room Group

Minimum alcohol price planned for England and Wales - 40p per unit

Scroll to see replies

Most students fail to realise how chavvy they are themselves because they come from a higher social background they assume they arent but overall they are just chavs with money so whist chavs are forced to drink on street the students drink in bars as they have more cash.

So to say that people from a lower social status should be taxed more forgets the students and ponces out there and all the people who have wine with every meal.
Original post by Electronica
You get used to it, you just have to read between the swear words - since chances are, they make up 2/3 of the sentence. :tongue:

But getting mad wae (with) it (or sometimes med wae it, depending on the dialect) is infinitely superior to getting 'tanked up'. :biggrin:
Both are better than "get bladdered larr"
Original post by burgergetsbored
You're missing the point. There's absolutely no point in putting up at all, it's just being greedy, nothing to do with stopping binge drinking at all. It's like pointlessly putting something you buy often up 30p for no apparent reason.
Only if you drink absolute gut rot.
I don't think it's fair on those of us who are capable of drinking sensibly, but there's always a minority who spoil it for the others
Essentially how much I or anyone else drinks is my own business, and I object to the government using taxation and legislation to affect thoroughly legal transactions in an attempt to coerce the ordinary citizen into behaving in a certain way. This is far from the only way in which they try to control our lives, but adopting a minimum price would be a new and even more authoritarian measure than we are used to.

The tax on alcohol outweighs the amount it supposedly costs the police and NHS, and that's irrelevant anyway. These services aren't, and never have been, conditional on your behaviour, and drunks pay tax and national insurance too, so the government can't justify their coercive and thoroughly illiberal behaviour to try to control these people, let alone the ordinary drinker who will suffer as a result of this.

But I think what I object to most is the idea that they are doing this for our own good. Piss off.
A daft law. It'll do nothing to stop the people who are determined abuse alcohol in a hardcore way, and will just ensure that normal working people who drink responsibly on low and middle incomes are hammered by yet another thing (along with inflation, rising energy prices, rising train fares, cuts in public services).
Reply 85
Here's another good article on the issue. Beer duty should be slashed by 50% with immediate effect.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/23/beer-britain-liver-disease?intcmp=239
Reply 86
Original post by Rinsed
Essentially how much I or anyone else drinks is my own business, and I object to the government using taxation and legislation to affect thoroughly legal transactions in an attempt to coerce the ordinary citizen into behaving in a certain way. This is far from the only way in which they try to control our lives, but adopting a minimum price would be a new and even more authoritarian measure than we are used to.

The tax on alcohol outweighs the amount it supposedly costs the police and NHS, and that's irrelevant anyway. These services aren't, and never have been, conditional on your behaviour, and drunks pay tax and national insurance too, so the government can't justify their coercive and thoroughly illiberal behaviour to try to control these people, let alone the ordinary drinker who will suffer as a result of this.

But I think what I object to most is the idea that they are doing this for our own good. Piss off.

I agree with this and I dont drink.
Reply 87
The government has no right to tell us what we can or cannot put into our bodies.
This is disgusting.
Original post by py0alb
I already gave you a source, jesus christ.

Well there's nothing we can do about taking away the attitutde of this now, therefore I still think increasing the prices will reduce anti-social behaviorur.
Original post by the bear
it should be a function of age and class;

using the formula to calculate the cost per unit U:

U = 6(100 - A)2/3/(7 - C)

Where A is the age at most recent birthday

C is social class ( from 1 to 6 )

thus anyone reaching the age of 100 gets free happy juice;

young people from the dregs of society have to pay more

Your MUM has to pay more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
Here's another good article on the issue. Beer duty should be slashed by 50% with immediate effect.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/23/beer-britain-liver-disease?intcmp=239

Seems a bit of a coincidence that all these people who want drinking prices slashed are drinkers themselves :curious:
Original post by Electronica
What does he know? :tongue:

You really want to know what he does know? :sexface:
Reply 92
Original post by HighestKungFu
Your MUM has to pay more.

neg be with you glasshopper
Reply 93
Original post by SpongebobSquarepan
Seems a bit of a coincidence that all these people who want drinking prices slashed are drinkers themselves :curious:

Law of averages. The vast majority of adults in this country are drinkers.
Reply 94
Original post by SpongebobSquarepan
Well there's nothing we can do about taking away the attitutde of this now, therefore I still think increasing the prices will reduce anti-social behaviorur.

We could run an educational campaign that actually tells people the truth. How hard would that be?

Fostering a mature and well informed attitude towards alcohol is the only sensible long term solution.
It's a disgrace and based on a classist assumption that the working classes are the only ones who binge drink.
Reply 96
Original post by py0alb
Basically, yes. It's called social conditioning. If you kept telling everyone over and over and over that sausages made you violent but bacon made you horny, then we'd eventually see a rise in sausage related violence and bacon related pregnancies.

I doubt you would ever see such a marked increase as what we have with alcohol. We were told over and over again that cannabis would make you violent for a few decades untill it was taken up by a load of free love hippies. Theres clearly more to it than just social conditioning.
This is one of the few areas where I disagree with my party's (the SNP) policy. Raising minimum alcohol prices does nothing to combat the problem of alcoholism, it merely reinforces class differences, limiting the poor's access to alcohol while leaving the rich free reign. Similarly with raising the tax on tobacco, soon a hacking cough will be a symbol of wealth.

The British government just seems to have it ass-backwards when it comes to fighting alcoholism. Reducing opening hours for bars and clubs? That's just heightening the problem- people have less time to drink, so they'll drink more in fewer hours. Everywhere else in Europe has clubs open till 6-7 in the morning.
Original post by py0alb
We could run an educational campaign that actually tells people the truth. How hard would that be?

Fostering a mature and well informed attitude towards alcohol is the only sensible long term solution.

Probably should increase the prices for the short term and that for the long term.
P.S why can't people just go out and have a couple of drinks instead of getting bladdered. Then we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending