The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

Ohh so are you going to be a dentist?

nahh just studying dentistry for the lols
Reply 1221
When i tell them i'm planning to Study Living at the University of Life they tend to think i'm beng lazy.
I did interior design and I get these responses:

"can you do my bedroom?"
"oh that's easy, you just have to draw, right?" - are you kidding me? there's a lot more to it than just drawing :angry:
Original post by RexyB
Ugh. I know. When I was applying everyone was like "You can't apply without Maths!"
Now its, "you got offers without Maths?" Yes, I did

Still not naming the degree, add a little mystery :wink:

Is it architecture? :smile:
Original post by Cheshire_Cat
Interior Design:
"I love decorating rooms!".
"So you spend three years matching paint, wallpaper and fabric?".
"Do you want to be the new Laurence Llewelyn Bowen?".

:facepalm:

Now that I'm doing Textile Design it's more like:
"I could never work a sewing machine". :colone: Btw you could go throughout your whole degree without using one. :tongue:

I take it that I'm being negged by people who don't enjoy their subjects?

Fellow interior designers! :cool:

I feel you with the responses :tongue:
Original post by tehforum
Pun intended?

first to notice; congrats!
"So you want to be an ambulance driver?"

Paramedic Science :banghead:
(edited 12 years ago)
Biomedical Science

Most common- "What's that?"
2nd most common- "Wow that sounds hard".
Original post by laura130490
Biomedical Science

Most common- "What's that?"
2nd most common- "Wow that sounds hard".

Or "oh, so you didn't get in to medicine?" :sexface:

Mine's always a look of :K: or "ohh pharmacy? so.. you're a vending machine right?"

HAHA NO.
Original post by DonaldGlover
Or "oh, so you didn't get in to medicine?" :sexface:

Mine's always a look of :K: or "ohh pharmacy? so.. you're a vending machine right?"

HAHA NO.

Funnily enough, only fellow students on my course and people on here have said that to me. Most people have no idea what biomed is and just presume it's difficult. A lot of people get confused and keep saying I do biochem. Two of my close friends, even after 4 years of me telling them I do biomed not biochem, keep telling people I'm a biochemist. Some people have assumed I'm a forensic scientist as well, or that I'm going to be a doctor when I graduate :s-smilie:
for the first 5 seconds they look like they want to vomit on my face
"Oh wow, you're so cool!"
'What can you do with that?'
'What's it about?'
'Oh, you want to be a social worker?'

:redface:
Reply 1233
If they're Asian (from the subcontinent) it's usually 'but you already know English, why would you study it' or 'what's that?'. Otherwise it's "so do you want to become a teacher?".

Maybe I'll be feeding into the stereotype of the latter by applying for a pgce next year :colone:
Reply 1234
After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Disbelief that I would need a degree just to dish out whats on the prescription.
Original post by jami74
Disbelief that I would need a degree just to dish out whats on the prescription.

LOL, I got a similar response too when I told my classmate I was going to apply for Pharmacy, he said "You need to do a degree for 4 years just to sell paracetamol?"
Me: I studied Film and TV!
Them: Ooooh, are you the next Spielberg?
Me: No
Them: So what are you going to do with it then?
Me: Nothing. I studied as a hobby.
Them: *turns away embarrassed*

:cool:
"ooooo you're doing the same degree as that dude from the social network?" :frown:
Oh Nursing? Why not medicine?
i havnt started mine yet. but im going to be studying equine therapy and rehabilitation in sep :smile: . i did study equine management before that though and i got the same reply...

Ohh whats that ??
what does equine mean ?
oh so you will be picking up horse **** for the rest of your life ! ( this is seriously annoying )
why do you wana work with smelly horses for the rest of your life ?
were you not good enough to be a vet?
can you even get a decent salary from that?

the good replies i get are :smile:
thats so interesting you get to do something you really like and its not your normal degree you wont be stuck in a office.
wow that sounds amazing so many jobs in the horse industry you could live in oz or the states and work get loads of experience abroad.
you get to work with horses everyday doing what you like :smile: sounds better then what im doing

Quick Reply

Latest