The Student Room Group

Failed at Everything... What to do next?

Hello. my Name's Nathan.
I Study IT , Physic's and ART at an AS level standard.

Lets put it this way - I Can't focus.
I Don't like Phyiscs - it's pointless, When Am I Going to use the querk structure of a proton and neutron in the modern world? pratically nowhere....

I Failed At IT , Simply becuase my Teachers didn't tell us are Deadline , till the day the work was due in! (view my other post)

And Art - well - I like working with graphics , but I Have little inspiration and desire to spend 5 hours sat down painting the country side.

I am pretty much of a failure...
I Have Friends - but never go out with them - My Life is my Computer - I use to Study computer science , IE Assembally code , Compiler theory , Ai , Game Programming , Graphic Programming and a such - been doing so since I Was 14. - Some subjects are studied at a master cource in University.
However becuase of my Appauling A-Levels , i Can't go to university - My Life is Ruined.

I Have recently Came off the computer to find myself looking at getting a motorcycle. However Since I've failed at life, My Parents have taken that away from me.

I Don't know what to do, and Am Looking for some guidence.
I'm a programmer, and NOT a people's person.
I'm so lost... I've ****ed up everything.
Please Help !
Reply 1
Hi Nathan,

I'm gonna start with don't just give up, things are rarely as bad as they seem! I'm sure as exams are coming up and as coursework is due in things are getting stressful and the most obvious option is to give up, but keep trying with them! What might help is if you think of what you would like to do in the future as a job and that might help you get some direction with what you are doing.

If you don't do as well in exams as you hope, don't panic! It doesn't mean your life is over, you just need to think about what you want to do in the future and work out what you need to get there.

From the sounds of it you enjoy computer science so maybe looking at a career related to that might be a good idea?

If you never go out with your friends, why don't you arrange to go out with them this weekend? Sometimes it just takes someone to arrange something for everyone to hang out and I'm sure it will be fun as well as taking the stress off education etc.

I hope some of this helps :smile:
Reply 2
You haven't failed at life. Straight up, you must be 18, 19 at most. Pull your c**p together and realise you have actually just not achieved your potential.

I'm at uni at 25, studying engineering and a lot of others didn't come straight from A-Levels. I'm at a top rated uni for my course as well. I don't have A-levels, I had to do what is called a foundation year. Basically an extra year of uni at the beginning of the course. So that means I have A-Level equivalents.

You could resit your year, pull your grades up next year and apply to courses offering a foundation year like I said. If you want some details of the one I did, look here...

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/foundationyear/epg/programme_content_assessment_teaching_methods.shtml

That course will get you into the main degree programmes of all engineering/computer science related courses there.

I thought I had no chance of going to uni when my A-levels went wrong. I worked in a job I hated and it took me a few years to decide I had to do uni to get the job I want. You can maybe take the hit of an extra year now and still get to where you want to go.

Just pull yourself together, it's not all over, you have loads of time left to improve your current grades, or to redo some A-Levels or take an alternative entry route into university. Don't let yourself go into a downward spiral of demotivation. You will only have further to pull yourself out of once you start going down there.

Your computer skills sound good, just try and add in a bit of math which becomes quite necessary at uni level. My computer programming lecturer originally did a physics degree. That stuff is relevant the further up the educational chain you go. Check out quantum computing, might see some pretty cool stuff that gets you interested.

If you want some help in finding out more about foundation courses I can help with that. Southampton is rated very highly for computer science and electrical stuff so check it out. Good luck.
Do a different ICT course/ redo what you did at 6th form if they let you back.

You must still be a teenager, your life is not over, you can still go to uni, just a year or two after you thought you would.

:hugs:
Original post by Naf456
Hello. my Name's Nathan.
I Study IT , Physic's and ART at an AS level standard.

Lets put it this way - I Can't focus.
I Don't like Phyiscs - it's pointless, When Am I Going to use the querk structure of a proton and neutron in the modern world? pratically nowhere....

I Failed At IT , Simply becuase my Teachers didn't tell us are Deadline , till the day the work was due in! (view my other post)

And Art - well - I like working with graphics , but I Have little inspiration and desire to spend 5 hours sat down painting the country side.

I am pretty much of a failure...
I Have Friends - but never go out with them - My Life is my Computer - I use to Study computer science , IE Assembally code , Compiler theory , Ai , Game Programming , Graphic Programming and a such - been doing so since I Was 14. - Some subjects are studied at a master cource in University.
However becuase of my Appauling A-Levels , i Can't go to university - My Life is Ruined.

I Have recently Came off the computer to find myself looking at getting a motorcycle. However Since I've failed at life, My Parents have taken that away from me.

I Don't know what to do, and Am Looking for some guidence.
I'm a programmer, and NOT a people's person.
I'm so lost... I've ****ed up everything.
Please Help !

Just take a moment to step back from the situation and breathe.

I was in the exact same situation as you...But i unfortunetely was never given the opportunity to go onto A Levels because of my GCSEs - I started to withdraw myself from my friends after turning 16 and i generally love on the computer...I put on extreme amount of weight and all i use to do is play PC Games online and get developed a gaming addiction that 4 years down the line has never really gone - I am 20 years old now and only is my life coming together.

My family took me as the 'Failure' until i acted like i didn't give a **** and started doing something substantial - Attempt to stay on a course for more than 2 months LOL.

But i've got a perfect route for you to take...If i was able to get into A Levels and atleast obtained AS regardless of grade - How many did you do? 4? thats technically 2 A Levels if not say 3 A Levels.

Thats 1.5 A Level.

Get yourself on UCAS!

http://courses.wlv.ac.uk/Course.asp?code=CS001H31UVD

Go to University - And do what you want to do.

But if that is if you are completely out of options as in doing your A2s.

If you do apply for University - Place 5 choices - Even one choice that you wanted to always put - With all your experience place it in your personal statement - With all Programming and such. It is invaluable. I got a offer to University of Warwick with no GCSEs - No A Levels...Only Experience and a few basic IT classes.
Reply 5
Aha, try being me, I failed my A levels, somehow managed to get a place at Leicester Uni, and have now failed my first year, that's being a failure. But I have to grow up and get a job, such is life...
Original post by lrs_17
Aha, try being me, I failed my A levels, somehow managed to get a place at Leicester Uni, and have now failed my first year, that's being a failure. But I have to grow up and get a job, such is life...

Now thats what i'm talking about LOL - See... Its possible to fight for what you believe in...Regardless the outcome you made it thus far!
You're in the same boat as me. The ****ing titanic of ****ty metaphorical boats.

Basically replace Comp sci with clothing/fashion. Even though I've got no substantial experience with art it still seems to interest me far more than anything else. I've only got one higher for Business Management which isn't exactly related to my interest, although I might choose to study it further at college or something- still, I've got no idea what I'll do.
I don't know if this is true or not . . . Apparantly a girl in year 13 (when I was in high school) Was predicted something like EEEe but got onto a CCC course because of a poem she wrote in her PS . . . I don't even know if it was english she was applying for :dontknow: but likely.
Is it possible to withdraw yourself from exams and then resit the year? I think resitting the year is very beneficial and if you know you're going to, you can use that to your advantage. If I was you personally, I'd start using time to either try to carry on working, make a plan for next year if things don't work, keep optimistic - you need to have a positive attitude if you look at all aspects postively, it'll work in your favour massively.
Reply 10
Your mum must be proud
Reply 11
Try a b-tech course equivelent to 3 A Levels, my brother failed his A Levels and does that now going uni next year to a top 20. He finds it easy and hasn't studied it before like you.
What I've learnt from my bad experiences is that when one door closes, Another opens.
You're young and there are so many opportunities out there. It comes with hard work though.
Who says not going to uni is the end of the world?
The world is your oyster.
Original post by Cumquat
Your mum must be proud

Yours must be too; what, with your obnoxious, repugnant attitude and all.
Start sixth form again
Get a job
Do retakes alongside A2

There are plenty of options available to you

If you take sixth form again I suggest that you choose subjects you will enjoy and fond out when all of your deadlines are

Quick Reply

Latest