The Student Room Group

New Medical Applicant to the UK... What are my chances?

HI! I am an international applicant from Canada to UK med schools. I am currently doing the IB diploma and will be going into medicine September 2013.
Here's what I will likely get predicted:

Higher level:
English 5
Bio 7
Chem 6

Standard level:
Math 7
History 7
French 7 (this is already confirmed)

Total is 38/42 without bonus, if you add it all up.
And for experience, I have:
1. I am the editor of the school newspaper for 2 years.
2. I also have the British Computer Society qualification equivalent of a 2nd year program
3. Volunteered at GP's practice for 2 months
4. Volunteered at a hospital's veterans clinic.
5. I have done research at the University of Toronto Nutritional sciences.
6. Another research project in the same UNI, but a different one at the Dental Faculty.
7. Several charity events.
8. Mentor at the school for kids under privileged.
9. and many more....

UKCAT, i do find it difficult... I think i can crack a 630, but nor more...
I also suck at the last two sections: Decisive analysis and Abstract reasoning

Question 1: Which uni's should i apply?

Question 2: How can i prep for each section of the UKCAT?

Question3: What exactly should you say on personal statements?
Thx alot!!!! :wink:
Reply 1
I really can't help you with the IB portion as I am not in IB, but I can answer your 2nd and 3rd question.

2. Prepping for UKCAT is all about practice. Try to do some questions each day to get the feel of it by using the 600Q book and then use Emedica or AceMedicine to get the feel of the test itself.

3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. What you say in your personal statement is really up to you. You can talk about your work experiences, your extra curriculars, and basically why you want to pursue a career in medicine. There is no right or wrong answer, but check the internet and resources around the forum before asking yourself this question. But if I were to give you an advice for any part of the application process, it would be quality over quantity. It's about what you get out of all these experiences, not the quantity of the experiences you've had.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Hey bud, your research at UofT Nutrition, was it with Dr. Vuksan?
Reply 3
Yeah it is with Dr.Vuksan and k2, thx for your reply
Reply 4
Original post by Yath
Yeah it is with Dr.Vuksan and k2, thx for your reply

nice man, I did a clinical with him.

I take it you're part of the mentorship program right? He's a brilliant man
Reply 5
Original post by doctork2
I really can't help you with the IB portion as I am not in IB, but I can answer your 2nd and 3rd question.

2. Prepping for UKCAT is all about practice. Try to do some questions each day to get the feel of it by using the 600Q book and then use Emedica or AceMedicine to get the feel of the test itself.

3. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. What you say in your personal statement is really up to you. You can talk about your work experiences, your extra curriculars, and basically why you want to pursue a career in medicine. There is no right or wrong answer, but check the internet and resources around the forum before asking yourself this question. But if I were to give you an advice for any part of the application process, it would be quality over quantity. It's about what you get out of all these experiences, not the quantity of the experiences you've had.

Good luck!

Richmond Hill eh? I'm in Toronto now!
Reply 6
Original post by digitalis

We should meet up lol, I want to pick your brain.
Reply 7
Original post by .eXe
We should meet up lol, I want to pick your brain.

Where do you live?
Reply 8
Where do you live?

pm'd
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by .eXe
Mississauga, but I work downtown Toronto. Available evenings and weekends, pretty much anytime.

Hmm OK! Well I reckon I'm leaving town on Monday or Tuesday. Suggest me somewhere! PM
Reply 10

That's fantastic! Have a great time here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest