The Student Room Group

Thought he liked me but I've been friendzoned?

So I thought this guy liked me- first day back at uni and he put his arm round me and it ended with us spooning in my friends bed. We had cuddles in bed another couple of times, at one point he had his hand on my bum. He also invited me round to his late at night and we spoke loads online. He teased me a bit as well. Then this week he started becoming more distant and he told me he liked me as a friend, and I found out he's going on a date with another girl. Why did he act like this?
Reply 1
If he liked you then he would have made a move on you. Seems like he's just not into you. Sorry.
No offence, but it sounds like it was a tad too platonic with you, it didnt go anywhere so he moved on with someone new.
Ego-boost. I'm sorry, people do this sometimes.
Reply 4
Guys can't friendzone girls :/
Original post by O'Donovan
Guys can't friendzone girls :/

I think you have a point lad!
Reply 6
Maybe he had feelings for you, but then they passed. Happens to everyone.
Reply 7
I love this guy, what a lad, great tactics.

Sorry moving away from the subject:

The problem with girls these days is that they think it will hurt their pride if they say they like a guy, no it won't. If you like him, then tell him, otherwise why are you even posting this.
Reply 8
Aww sweetheart, I think it's a case of him potentially having liked you before but then changing his mind. He obviously didn't get deep enough involved to become attached. It's possible he made a move but didn't get the right vibe to take it forward (knowing that takes practise).

However I think definitely appreciate the fact he's been honest with you by telling you he sees you as a friend rather than leading you on further. People can change their minds - it happens.

I really think one of the best pieces of advice for dating is remembering that how people interact is mostly down to their own perception. You should try not to take dating rejection too personally because everyone has a sense of what they want, which we ourselves can't pick up on. That's why finding something special is rare and should be treasured.

Original post by lad-lad
The problem with girls these days is that they think it will hurt their pride if they say they like a guy, no it won't. If you like him, then tell him, otherwise why are you even posting this.

Can you elaborate on this? Is there a way for a woman to convey her feelings at such an early stage without seeming clingy? That's the thing. Men like the thrill of the chase so there has to be a way to play it where you don't come as an easy catch and bore him with your availability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by lad-lad

100% agreed
Reply 10
Original post by Lucia.
Aww sweetheart, I think it's a case of him potentially having liked you before but then changing his mind. He obviously didn't get deep enough involved to become attached. It's possible he made a move but didn't get the right vibe to take it forward (knowing that takes practise).

However I think definitely appreciate the fact he's been honest with you by telling you he sees you as a friend rather than leading you on further. People can change their minds - it happens.

I really think one of the best pieces of advice for dating is remembering that how people interact is mostly down to their own perception. You should try not to take dating rejection too personally because everyone has a sense of what they want, which we ourselves can't pick up on. That's why finding something special is rare and should be treasured.

Can you elaborate on this? Is there a way for a woman to convey her feelings at such an early stage without seeming clingy? That's the thing. Men like the thrill of the chase so there has to be a way to play it where you don't come as an easy catch and bore him with your availability.

I dont like the thrill of the chase.

Just dive in straight to dat pussaaayy
Reply 11
Original post by Lucia.

How can you even call this rejection? This isn't rejection.

That's like saying every girl that flirts with me but doesn't sleep with me- rejects me. Its not true. The lad probably tried but he didn't feel anything back from her because again, girls are too afraid of loosing the pride of showing that they like a guy. Hence the stale mate in the end.
Reply 12
Original post by lad-lad

I told him I liked him and the reply I got back was that he liked me as a friend.
Reply 13
Awesome then you got nothing more to worry about darling and this thread doesn't really have a meaning no more.
Throughout life as humans we meet lots of guys/girls that we like and unfortunately we cannot have them all.
At least by being honest you found out the answer straight away. You never know perhaps he started liking someone else or just found a reason why it wouldn't work for you.
Best advice is, don't give it too much thought, human preference is the hardest thing to describe.
Reply 14
Original post by lad-lad

I'm not sure about pride per se; but certainly "opening up" and "coming clean" with your feelings leaves you emotionally vulnerable on some level. Personally, I like to play with my cards held close to my chest.
(edited 11 years ago)
You should have initiated some physical teasing. Jeez.

Quick Reply

Latest