The Student Room Group

"Original Volunteers" company

Has anyone been with the company "Original Volunteers"? It seems really really cheap and I'd just like to know if anyone can let me know how their experience went with them? Was it good even though it was super-cheap?

Scroll to see replies

Hmm, well so far I've found mixed opinions on this company...
Reply 2
undiscovered
Hmm, well so far I've found mixed opinions on this company...

Ooh, thanks that's really helpful :-) More positive than negative opinions it seems.
Reply 3
Check out the original volunteers facebook group. There's quite a lot of stuff on there. I was considering going abroad with them but went for a different company in the end just because everyone seemed to be so unsure about them.x
Who did you go with? What did you do?
Reply 5
Has anyone got any feedback of this company?
I'm a second year student and have just registered with them to go to Ghana for a month in the summer - I hope they're reputable!
À la mode
Has anyone got any feedback of this company?
I'm a second year student and have just registered with them to go to Ghana for a month in the summer - I hope they're reputable!

Have a read of the facebook group, mixed reviews on there. I was looking in to them because it was quite cheap, but they were full for my location anyway.
Reply 7
I've seen that too. To be honest, the negative comments are about the lack of support once you're there - which seems to have improved now. I've been speaking to a lot of people who've been with them recently, all of whom say they were really good.
Yes, there is more autonomy involved with the project, than say, RealGap, or i-to-i, however I think that's a good thing because you'll be more immersed in the culture more (as opposed to being with a guide all the time.)

I was really worried about the company, but for the price, I'm definitely happy to be more independent out there. I emailed them today about my projects and they explained exactly who would be there, what times they're available, and their role in aiding the volunteers.

That's such a shame your place was full - where were you hoping to go? Have you booked it through someone else now?
À la mode
I've seen that too. To be honest, the negative comments are about the lack of support once you're there - which seems to have improved now. I've been speaking to a lot of people who've been with them recently, all of whom say they were really good.
Yes, there is more autonomy involved with the project, than say, RealGap, or i-to-i, however I think that's a good thing because you'll be more immersed in the culture more (as opposed to being with a guide all the time.)

I was really worried about the company, but for the price, I'm definitely happy to be more independent out there. I emailed them today about my projects and they explained exactly who would be there, what times they're available, and their role in aiding the volunteers.

That's such a shame your place was full - where were you hoping to go? Have you booked it through someone else now?

I want to go to Argentina, but not til next year. I tried emailing them to see if they would still be full then, but no reply. I think i'm just going to do it solo now.
Rather than starting a new one, I wanted to bring this thread back! It's got some reviews from 2008/9 but I'm wondering if anyone has been recently?
I really want to go to India with OV but I've heard mixed reviews. Any opinions here??
Original post by tsr-member
Rather than starting a new one, I wanted to bring this thread back! It's got some reviews from 2008/9 but I'm wondering if anyone has been recently?
I really want to go to India with OV but I've heard mixed reviews. Any opinions here??

I was looking for gap year ideas for after I finish my A2's and stumbled upon this thread. I've been looking at the Original Volunteers website and it looks interesting and most of all, more constructive than the other threads. Some of the locations also look highly affordable :biggrin:

So, who has got an idea of how i'm going to raise £1000?

Deano.
I'm booked to go to Thailand to teach English in schools with Original Volunteers for 6 weeks, I'm flying out 19th June :biggrin: I plan to travel afterwards, I've been told numerous times its really affordable.
I've read really mixed reviews, some have been great and some have been awful but I have noticed they bad ones are from a while ago, the better ones are more recent. I'm trying not to worry or dramatize about what other people have said- there is no way of distinguishing who is right and who is wrong because the good and bad reviews are in equal numbers!
I was just going to go out with an open mind, it’s all character building and fantastic experience. You're being given the opportunity to experience a different culture for a very small amount of money, and to gain some valuable life experience by volunteering. They seem like a pretty viable organization to me :smile:
I registered online with them because I was considering doing the Morocco project and I wanted more information. They now phone me at least 10 times a day to try to get me to sign up. Really hoping they give up soon!
Hi Everyone

Instead of starting another new thread I wonder if anyone has any further information about this organisation? Why are they so much cheaper than any other international voluntary scheme?

Thanks!
Reply 14
Im consireding doing the morocco project too. Has anyone been to morocoo through ov or anything? If so what were your experiences?

Also what do you do for travel insurance?
Reply 15
I was considering the Morocco project also, but I decided that I would probably wait until 2013 to do it when I have more money. I haven't paid the deposit, but since I wrote my number they call me about 10 times a day too. I sent them a message asking them to stop so fingers crossed. I have read that it is relatively good if you don't mind putting a lot of work in yourself. They are also currently running a competition where you can win 2 weeks volunteering in Morocco so that might be worth a look. If you aren't sure about them, don't give them your details though or you will be hiding from your phone day after day.
Reply 16
Fundraising ideas for Deank :
Bagpacking! That is all. we have raised £240 in two 3/4hour sessions with only 2 checkouts for our trip to Tanzania with Original volunteers in Aug 2012. People are so generous! Easy Money!
I don't plan to go with people I know of.
I might just not do it...
Reply 18
Hi there,

I am an intern at a volunteer placement organisation, Khaya Volunteer, and our advice when choosing an organisation is to scrutinise the company placing you. When you research and chose an ethically responsible company to volunteer with, you must ask:

Can they provide a brief job description?

Do they work directly with local partner organisations?

Do they financially contribute to local partners?

Can they explain how your fees are used and where they go?

Do they have policies for eco/ethical tourism?

What support and training will you receive?

Also ask to speak to previous travellers/volunteers. If they cannot provide you with the answers you need then go elsewhere.

I hope this helps you.
I'm looking at going as well with Original Volunteers. My mate and his fiancée are going at the start of July, so if anyone needs up to date feedback I will post it here?

Quick Reply

Latest