The Student Room Group

What do you think about Scotland having independence?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sao desi
Per international law, one has right to citizenship of the country of their birth.

Not true

Under international law, you have a right to have a nationality of your own

However, you don't have a right to have citizenship of a country, just because you were born there. Citizenship is in fact usually dervied through parentage. If two German parents have a child in the UK, that child does not have a right to be a British citizen for instance, under any law. They would only be German
Original post by ronald_mcdonald
Hey, if they separate then surely the UK can no longer have the blue and white in their country's flag?

Erm, the English flag already has white in, as well as Northern Ireland, but I won't go into the absurdity of a union with England & Northern Ireland with Scotland outside of it.

WELSH DRAGON IN THE NEW FLAG PLEASE. :biggrin:

How about something that matches the theme, i.e. saints? Or something which at least focuses on 90% of the population should Scotland leave, i.e. English people.
Reply 42
Original post by HeatherHatter
And (assuming Scotland becomes independent) you work for a British company, in a Scottish branch, would you have to pay two lots of taxes - one to the British tax office, one to the Scottish tax office? That happens with some employees of foreign companies working in the UK at the moment, they pay taxes in the country of the company they're employed by, and then again in their own country...

I'd guess that a company from one country, operating a branch in another company would have to pay some form of tax in both. But I doubt the employees themselves would have to pay taxes to both countries, presumably only the one they work in.

Don't think they'd be citizens by default. You can't just force citizenship on someone if they were born in Scotland but were living in England. I'm sure there would be some choice involved.

It would probably be like Irish and British citizenship is for those in Northern Ireland. People born in Scotland would probably be eligible to claim British citizenship if they want, but even if they don't Scottish citizens will have practically equal rights in the UK as UK citizens do (e.g. if they live in the UK they can vote, run for office, etc.).
Original post by Psyk
I'd guess that a company from one country, operating a branch in another company would have to pay some form of tax in both. But I doubt the employees themselves would have to pay taxes to both countries, presumably only the one they work in.

I know someone who works for a foreign company in the UK and has to pay tax to both countries, so they're basically taxed twice on their income, the company probably has to do the same.
Reply 44
They have every right to have a go, but I'm not convinced that economic stability would be plausible in the long run
Reply 45
They take a higher proportion of public money than they contribute.

Let them pay their own tuition fees, prescriptions and the like.
I doubt any 'Scottish citizens' will be allowed 'English citizenship' unless we get the same treatment. Unless England is somehow for the masses and abroad is somehow off limits for us now.

It's going to be so funny seeing them set up a currency. They're not keeping the current pound, how can they decide to use a foreign country's currency? They might as well adopt the US dollar for all the sense that makes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
I'd be happy for Scotland to become independent - it would provide a big long term economic boost to the rest of the UK by helping keep Labour out of power.

Labour have 41 seats in Scotland compared to 1 Conservative. If you take out the Scottish seats then the Conservatives would have won the last election outright.
Reply 48
their country, their decision itd be a shame to loose them though theyre a great asset to the UK
Reply 49
Original post by Snagprophet
I doubt any 'Scottish citizens' will be allowed 'English citizenship' unless we get the same treatment. Unless England is somehow for the masses and abroad is somehow off limits for us now.

Within the EU and Commonwealth, it really doesn't matter that much. There are very few rights which a British citizen has in this country which, say, a Maltese citizen (being both a Commonwealth and EU citizen) does not. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are being in a tiny number of protected professions like working in some parts of MI5 and the ability to vote in UK elections from overseas.

It's going to be so funny seeing them set up a currency. They're not keeping the current pound, how can they decide to use a foreign country's currency? They might as well adopt the US dollar for all the sense that makes.

Even the SNP dropped their idea of a separate Scottish currency a fair time ago. They then adopted a view that we should adopt the Euro and criticised the last Labour government for not going into it sooner. When that was shown to have been a good decision, they instead decided that an independent Scotland should keep the pound sterling - although they're now making stupid assertions that Scotland would be represented in the MPC and other bodies within the Bank of England.
Reply 50
Original post by cl_steele
their country, their decision itd be a shame to loose them though theyre a great asset to the UK

I'm inclined to disagree on the 'their country' angle. If you're British then it's part of your country too and I'd be inclined to say to English people that if someone tells them otherwise, they should reply with a very brief '**** off'.
Darien scheme. You Scots will end up doing something like it again :tongue:
Reply 52
Original post by ConnorB
Darien scheme. You Scots will end up doing something like it again :tongue:

Not heard about the Edinburgh trams? :tongue:
Give them their independence. I'd love to see the backward porridge wogs fail and for it all to go tits-up. They'll soon come crawling back.

Quick Reply

Latest