The Student Room Group

Is A Level Photography easy?

I thinking of doing it, I love taking photos and I like that its project based and you dont have to revise for the exams! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends what you are good at.. 'easy' can mean different things for different people! I do know that there is a lot of coursework involved but if you keep up it shouldn't be too difficult
You might as well not bother. Do History or chem or physics, they're the best :wink:
Not hard, but time consuming. Basically, your grade is directly proportional to the amount of time you put in.
Point and shoot right?

*this was meant as a joke*
lol
Reply 6
Agreed with the above, it definitely requires time and dedication to actually go out and get the images and then get it all written up. But other than that, if you stay ahead and get things done quickly, it's really easy to do.

I'm doing it alongside Economics, History and English Lit. I'm dropping it this year though, but it was certainly worth doing. Fun and easy, meaning that I could concentrate on the harder subjects more.
Reply 7
I don't think it's particularly hard - just really time consuming. I have a couple of friends who do it, and some of them do art at the same time, and it's just consssttaaannnttt work. Manage your time well and it should be fine though!
If it's anything like art, the coursework must be annoying as hell.
Reply 9
Original post by AGrumpyMole
You might as well not bother. Do History or chem or physics, they're the best :wink:

thats too boring for me ahaha :P
Reply 10
Original post by shaminn
Agreed with the above, it definitely requires time and dedication to actually go out and get the images and then get it all written up. But other than that, if you stay ahead and get things done quickly, it's really easy to do.

I'm doing it alongside Economics, History and English Lit. I'm dropping it this year though, but it was certainly worth doing. Fun and easy, meaning that I could concentrate on the harder subjects more.

But in relation to the harder subjects isnt it easier to get a good grade? you should of kept it haha :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Maxiinee
But in relation to the harder subjects isnt it easier to get a good grade? you should of kept it haha :smile:

Yes it certainly is easier but I want to do law at uni so keeping economics, history and English are the strongest choices for me. But I know of people who have done photography and got into Cambridge to study history.

It's up to you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yes, very.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
It isn't too hard but it is definately time consuming, don't underestimate the work load.

I don't do it but know people who do
Hard? No if you've got skill.

Time consuming? Well, around deadline day be prepared to say goodbye to your social life!!
Errrrr, I'd say more pointless than easy or more pointless than anything else.
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Errrrr, I'd say more pointless than easy or more pointless than anything else.

pointless?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 17
It is not easier to get a good grade than any other subject. If anything it requires more work, more thought, more dedication than anything else. There's no correct answer that you can spout out for an exam - you have to be creative, innovative and you have to have something to say. Liking taking pictures is not enough to get you a good grade - you need to understand the history and theory just like anything else.

The coursework is incredibly time consuming, and counts for 60% of your grade. The exam prompts are normally pretty crap tbh, you'll get a five hour exam in the first year and fifteen hours in the second. The moderators can be INCREDIBLY harsh - at my college, last years second year all got taken down 12 marks for each project (total of 24), and they were a pretty crap-ish year, but still. My year was moderated down 5 marks. So your grade is equally dependent on how much effort everyone else puts in.

Having said that, photography is my favourite subject and I'm starting my degree in September, and because I've been interested (I mean really interested) since I was twelve or so it has been fairly okay for me. Plus my teachers are lovely :smile: Just don't assume it'll be easy...
Reply 18
Im thinking of doing too, what software will i need?
Original post by AGrumpyMole

If we're talking the best A-levels, you forgot Maths :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending