The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would say travelling that much each day would be next to impossible, especially if you have early lectures. It would also be expensive. SAAS provide some help but it won't cover anywhere near the amount you actually spend.
Reply 2
If you're set on staying in Glasgow, then I would only consider universities in Glasgow. Going to St Andrews every day is very likely to be too much for you.
Reply 3
I don't think I've ever done the trip in under 2 hours, and cheaper than a fiver each way.
Very expensive and time consuming, not worth it imo.
Reply 4
I know a few people who go back to glasgow every weekend, so it can't be that bad.

I think its about an hour and a half each way, the busses stopping pretty early, so it'll be terrible for your social life, and a killer unless you can work very very well on busses.
Reply 5
Its an hour and 20 in the car quite easily, there is no major motorway there, no train station, and the public transport would take considerably longer and is erratic at best. You'd spent £250 a month on transport, quite easily.

Commuting from Glasgow to Edinburgh is doable, I know a few people who live in one city and go to university in the other, since there is regular trains which take around 50 minutes- but St Andrews is next to impossible without at least moving to Edinburgh.
Reply 6
Isn't it a requirement at St Andrews to stay in student accomodation during first year?
Reply 7
SAAS on travel expenses: http://www.student-support-saas.gov.uk/student_support/travel_expenses.htm

If you had a car, then I think it would be OK. Otherwise, hmm, very unrealistic if you ask me.

If you were intending on using public transport, there's no direct train link to St A's - the train to Leuchars also goes via Edinburgh, so takes 2 hours to get there. Assuming your train came in exactly when the bus did, it would take at least 15 minutes to get from there into St Andrews.

The direct Glasgow-St A's bus takes about three hours. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/X26X27pckttt07042008.pdf - the earliest one gets into St A's at 10am, so any 9am classes would be impossible.

jimjomjam
Isn't it a requirement at St Andrews to stay in student accomodation during first year?

No, of course not.
I could never do that. I really don't think it would be a good idea. As people have already said, it would take ages to get there, and you'd have to get more than just a train as there isn't a train station in st andrews - the nearest one is in Leuchars.
it looks like the only option is driving !
crème_de_la_crème
it looks like the only option is driving !

As far as I know, SAAS can be quite picky on paying for driving expenses.
Reply 11
it is do'able if you have a car and think you can handle it

i commute from edinburgh to glasgow every day, its not too bad as the train service is really good

i have a friend who commutes from perth to glasgow every day by train

...and another friend who commutes from fife to glasgow every day by coach and i think its takes her about an hour 30mins!!

the only thing is- if you are driving then you can't really spend that time wisely, whereas if you were on the train you could do some uni work if you had to.
Reply 12
Edinburgh to Glasgow is a very different journey (public transport wise) than Glasgow to St. Andrews.
*River
Edinburgh to Glasgow is a very different journey (public transport wise) than Glasgow to St. Andrews.

:ditto:

I've looked into all of this. If you're thinking about getting the train its not just one train, you have to change.
And the bus takes roughly an hour as its about 55 miles.
Reply 14
lucyhol1012

I've looked into all of this. If you're thinking about getting the train its not just one train, you have to change.
And the bus takes roughly an hour as its about 55 miles.

Longer than that surely - I can't imagine that a bus would travel at ~60mph for an hour without stopping anywhere.
Reply 15
*River
Longer than that surely - I can't imagine that a bus would travel at ~60mph for an hour without stopping anywhere.

Unless thats from Edinburgh- St Andrews to Glasgow is nearer 90miles. It's possible (and indeed I've managed it) in a shade over an hour and 20mins early on a Sunday morning- but how public transport would manage on a weekday, god only knows. If you have to commute over an hour anywhere on a regular basis, its time to consider moving.
*River

Its not a general public bus its one of those stagecoach coaches, but yeah you're right its about 2 hours and a bit :smile:
It's the train that takes just over an hour, an hour and a half usually! My mistake :smile:
Reply 17
I'm doing Edinburgh (last stop at the outskirts of Edinburgh) - Glasgow by bus every day, and I wouldn't advise doing any further journey than that by bus. Traffic can be a problem sometimes and your journey can increase by half an hour or more. Also, during winter it's quite depressing leaving the house when it's still night and coming home when it's night again.

Besides, staying at uni is part of your student experience, I wouldn't want to miss that!

Anyway, Glasgow's a good university too, why not go there if you really want to stay at home.

terpineol
I know a few people who go back to glasgow every weekend, so it can't be that bad.

I think its about an hour and a half each way, the busses stopping pretty early, so it'll be terrible for your social life, and a killer unless you can work very very well on busses.

doing it once a week is very different from doing it every day.
c2uk

doing it once a week is very different from doing it every day.

Indeed, a mate communted from Carnoustie to st andrews for a while by bus/train, then gave up and got a car. Even now I get the impression its a monumental pain in the backside, but his wife prefers it.
lucyhol1012

It's the train that takes just over an hour, an hour and a half usually! My mistake :smile:

Dunno which train you took to get to St. Andrews in 90 minutes from Glasgow, but it must have been fast.