The Student Room Group

Summer jobs for french teenagers

Hi, I'm sixteen and I live in France. Sorry for my english who is very basic (with a lot of mistakes ...), inspite of learning english since seven years now, I'm not fluent yet. Actually, I don't speak english very well that all ... We really can't learn a language at school ^^'.

So, with my friends, we thought that we could work in july or august in England, or an english country like that. It's just an idea and I don't know if it is possible to do that. In France, it's possible to work when you have sixteen with conditions. But I never heard about foreigners teenagers who work for summer holidays ...

We want to improve our english and be with the english people, not just discover the country as a tourist. My friends speak english like me with the AWFUL french accent. I think it's a problem because we can't work as the other english teenagers who speak perfectly. But maybe if we do something like help in summercamp for kids who wants learn french .. I don't know.

If someone can direct me for this project, it will be great. I have no idea what to do.

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 1
:pierre: lookalike?
Unfortunately it's probably a bit late - quite a lot of these type of jobs exist here but usually get taken in May or even before so it might be worth thinking about for next year instead. Also some employers are reluctant to take people under 18 as they are not classified as adults.
As an 18 year old English student struggling to find a Summer job, it's probably unlikely that a 16 year old student who doesn't speak fluent English will get a job in the current economic climate parce qu'il y a beaucoup de chommage en Angleterre!
Reply 4
Didiez
Hi, I'm sixteen and I live in France. Sorry for my english who is very basic (with a lot of mistakes ...), inspite of learning english since seven years now, I'm not fluent yet. Actually, I don't speak english very well that all ... We really can't learn a language at school ^^'.

So, with my friends, we thought that we could work in july or august in England, or an english country like that. It's just an idea and I don't know if it is possible to do that. In France, it's possible to work when you have sixteen with conditions. But I never heard about foreigners teenagers who work for summer holidays ...

We want to improve our english and be with the english people, not just discover the country as a tourist. My friends speak english like me with the AWFUL french accent. I think it's a problem because we can't work as the other english teenagers who speak perfectly. But maybe if we do something like help in summercamp for kids who wants learn french .. I don't know.

If someone can direct me for this project, it will be great. I have no idea what to do.

Thank you :biggrin:

I don't think you're likely to get a job, it's hard enough finding work as a British teenager!
The summercamp is a good idea, but i don't know how you'd sort that out, i don't know any businesses that do a summer camp but there may well be some.
Good luck anyway!
Reply 5
mcdonalds?
Reply 6
emmasmellsalot
As an 18 year old English student struggling to find a Summer job, it's probably unlikely that a 16 year old student who doesn't speak fluent English will get a job in the current economic climate parce qu'il y a beaucoup de chommage en Angleterre!

Was chomage (unemployment) one of the topics in the French AS curriculum?

I studied French AS in 2001 and although I have forgotten most of what I learnt - that word rang a bell.
I don't know about it being a topic exactly but we certainly had to know about it
Reply 8
Heya!
There are usually a lot of jobs for fruitpickers during the summer, but i'm not sure if it would really help your english!
um maybe try writing to a few companies and see if you could do a summer placement, or stay in england for a bit and speak to people in person to find a job. I know a guy who did the same thing as you and he worked in a kitchen at a pub for a bit, but you usually need experience for that. there are a few summer camps but i think they'll have already recruited people.
anyway good luck
wont you need a visa to work here? I know Russians that used to come over for summer work, but they are not given permission anymore, they say its impossible to get the visas.

Austrialia is the same im afraid, unless your a skilled worker.

Would you consider america, they would let you do temporary summer work, and they are really big on summer kids clubs

Latest

Trending

Trending