The Student Room Group
Reply 1
surely your uni libary has vast amounts of information on this?

Off the top of my head, i can think of a link of wiki for anthropometrics by NASA or something.
I think it'd be quite hard to find average hip/waist sizes. However if you look at the clothing sizes, e.g if size 10 for girls is most popular then thats 30inch waist and 39inch hips etc.

You'd have to find the average clothing size in the UK though which i'm sure a google would provide.

My 2p.
Reply 3
It should be fairly easy as manufacturers/students and whoever will regularly want to access such info.

Especially in the uni library.
i think 30-32 is a medium size for mens
ChrisLincoln
I think it'd be quite hard to find average hip/waist sizes. However if you look at the clothing sizes, e.g if size 10 for girls is most popular then thats 30inch waist and 39inch hips etc.

You'd have to find the average clothing size in the UK though which i'm sure a google would provide.

My 2p.

:nah: It's size 16, and a size 10 has a 27" waist and 37" hips, roughly.

OP, I take it you've tried to Google it, but why not ask on TSR - it's not very representative, but it might help.
steffi.alexa

OP, I take it you've tried to Google it, but why not ask on TSR - it's not very representative, but it might help.

Yeah i have no idea just thought finding average clothes size and their standard sizes would be better than trying to find average hip/waist sizes outright :smile:.
ChrisLincoln
Yeah i have no idea just thought finding average clothes size and their standard sizes would be better than trying to find average hip/waist sizes outright :smile:.

Yeah, but for women the actual size of, for e.g. a size 10, varies wildly from shop to shop. I am a size 10 and yet in some shops would have to get an 8 because their sizing is odd (I once had to get a size 4 - that was way off, I'd be dead at size 4!).
steffi.alexa
Yeah, but for women the actual size of, for e.g. a size 10, varies wildly from shop to shop. I am a size 10 and yet in some shops would have to get an 8 because their sizing is odd (I once had to get a size 4 - that was way off, I'd be dead at size 4!).

Very true. Many a times have i been on the receiving end of a girlfriend being annoyed due to shop sizes. I wish they'd get a standard accross all shops so i didn't get moaned at!
Reply 9
steffi.alexa

Size 16 is most commonly bought rather than average. Add ontop of that 16 is not the 'average' body type, its on the large size of things when you come to think about it
Reply 10
They reason why womens clothing sizes are off is because these Shops are trying to make their customers feel thinner. The actual truth is that most of you girls would be considered either medium or large in the 60s.

Medium became Small,Large Became Medium,Fat became Large.
Why don't you just make it ADJUSTABLE?
Anyway, a lot of people who use backpacks are usually quite sporty so may have smaller than average waistlines?
Well a lot of women are size 12-14 so an average of 31-32 inches?? Could it not be a strap that can be made smaller/bigger?
Reply 13
NStocks
I'm designing a backpack at uni and it will have normal shoulder straps, plus a waist strap.

I'm finding it difficult to find average Waist, Chest and Hip sizes for the Average Male and Female.

Does anyone know where I can find this information, like right now ?

It would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Personally I'd just guess average to be 32ins including men, and have it adjustable from say 23 ins to 40 ins? Wont it have to be adjustable anyway?
mipegg
Size 16 is most commonly bought rather than average. Add ontop of that 16 is not the 'average' body type, its on the large size of things when you come to think about it

I thought the OP was asking for average as in most common :confused: This could get confusing. Yeah, I suppose, but if someone is happy and healthy and that size, then it doesn't really matter.
Stettin
They reason why womens clothing sizes are off is because these Shops are trying to make their customers feel thinner. The actual truth is that most of you girls would be considered either medium or large in the 60s.

Medium became Small,Large Became Medium,Fat became Large.

Wel, I just want shops to have uniformity in sizes... Or something, I can't think in English ATM. I don't care if I'm a 'bigger' size, I just want to be able to go into a shop and pick up the same size everytime. Topshop and H&M seem to be okay at it, but Monsoon... Dear me.

Anyway, on topic - I think adjustable would probably be easier, what's seen as the average is going to vary.
Reply 16
smaller adjustable than 23 id say for girls... especially like someone said if theyre quite active they could be smaller than that
Reply 17
Thanks for all your replies !

I just needed some figures that I can show my Tutor, to show I have researched my project and that it will fit it's target audience, that being the ' benchmark' of the average sizes... Yes it will need to be adjustable.

Cheers.
Cmkai12
smaller adjustable than 23 id say for girls... especially like someone said if theyre quite active they could be smaller than that

23 is about the same size as Victoria Beckham, not a lot of women are smaller than that lol!

Latest