The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Interviews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zuzia Bulu

Original post by Zuzia Bulu
Because you don't have to submit any essays. Have a look at this

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were the OP. I can check for you if you tell me your subject and college

It's PPS at Fitzwilliam. Not sure if I've somehow deleted an email or something. I hope not!
Last year I got an email asking me for interview about half way through November.
Original post by safwaansh
It's PPS at Fitzwilliam. Not sure if I've somehow deleted an email or something. I hope not!

This says you need to submit a school/college essay. But only send them when they tell you to do that, so I'd suggest emailing them to ask as you are not sure whether you somehow deleted an email.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!! :smile:
Reply 123
The Peterhouse admission blog says "It will be very difficult to rearrange these [interview dates] as the interviewers only have limited availability and the Admissions Tutors see every applicant". Does this mean everyone gets an interview? If it does, I could start buying train tickets now and save quite a lot on them. What does everyone think?
Reply 124
Original post by Mandaly
The Peterhouse admission blog says "It will be very difficult to rearrange these [interview dates] as the interviewers only have limited availability and the Admissions Tutors see every applicant". Does this mean everyone gets an interview? If it does, I could start buying train tickets now and save quite a lot on them. What does everyone think?

I would not risk it. I've seen the Peterhouse blog as well, but, as the post says, those are just "likely dates" and you still don't know if you are really going to be interviewed - there is a very small chance you are not, but still... And believe you me, I would save quite a lot of money if I booked my plane tickets already :P
I've got a lot of work on at the moment with coursework, retake revision and things. I really don't wanna to preparing for an interview too far in advance when I might not even get one.

In people's experience how soon before an interview do you get letters? A week? Three days?

Thanks
Original post by safwaansh
I've got a lot of work on at the moment with coursework, retake revision and things. I really don't wanna to preparing for an interview too far in advance when I might not even get one.

In people's experience how soon before an interview do you get letters? A week? Three days?

Thanks

2-4 weeks is the average. Leaning more towards 2 than 4 though.
Reply 127
This must have gone up fairly recently, or at least I've only found it recently. Enjoy all the same. Hosted on their own site so no youtube, sorry. Has a sort of PSA vibe to it, tres 80s, you raff you ruse, etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 128
I've seen this clip some two/three months ago, it is quite good. There are also other "mock interviews" online on the website of the Emmanuel College - http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/videos/interviews
And if you type "mock oxbridge interviews" into youtube, several others will come up as well :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by metjush
I've seen this clip some two/three months ago, it is quite good. There are also other "mock interviews" online on the website of the Emmanuel College - http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/videos/interviews
And if you type "mock oxbridge interviews" into youtube, several others will come up as well :smile:

Thanks metjush, how daft of me to miss 'em.
Reply 130
Just wondering...

What factors do they look at to determine whether or not you get an interview?

I mean, lots of people have pretty much identical grades so I'm assuming they go on PS and references right?
Original post by Agdsten
Just wondering...

What factors do they look at to determine whether or not you get an interview?

I mean, lots of people have pretty much identical grades so I'm assuming they go on PS and references right?

Depends on the subject. Some use pre-interview tests, and some interview such a large proportion (e.g. 98% of Biochemistry applicants get an interview) that they only really seem to rule out at that stage people whose predicted grades aren't up to scratch or there's something else majorly wrong with their application.
Reply 132
Original post by Revolution is my Name
Depends on the subject. Some use pre-interview tests, and some interview such a large proportion (e.g. 98% of Biochemistry applicants get an interview) that they only really seem to rule out at that stage people whose predicted grades aren't up to scratch or there's something else majorly wrong with their application.

Okay - thanks :smile:

I guess that for people applying for arts and humanities they go on the essays you submit.
Reply 133
I watched these a few months ago and was reassured by how inexpressive unexciting the 'applicants' seemed.
Reply 134
Original post by sentiment
I watched these a few months ago and was reassured by how inexpressive unexciting the 'applicants' seemed.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not even good at science and I would have done better discussing controls than that girl did. I suspect, though, that those answers were written specifically to give a bit of confidence to all applicants.
Reply 135
Original post by no chance
Yeah, I mean, I'm not even good at science and I would have done better discussing controls than that girl did. I suspect, though, that those answers were written specifically to give a bit of confidence to all applicants.

Yeah I think its more the structure of the interview they are giving you. Expect to be stretched a bit in the interview.
Hi :smile:
i'm just wondering, when will we get letters asking us to come for an interview? i recieved and sent back the form asking what interview you would like (i'm applying for NatSci), but if they do decide to give me an interview, when would they send out letters with dates and times?

tahh :smile:
Original post by CharlieTH
Hi :smile:
i'm just wondering, when will we get letters asking us to come for an interview? i recieved and sent back the form asking what interview you would like (i'm applying for NatSci), but if they do decide to give me an interview, when would they send out letters with dates and times?

tahh :smile:

It could be as late as the week before the interview.
Reply 138
On the other hand, I've just got one for December 9th/10th, so it must vary quite a bit.
Reply 139
'Bonj.
;28387889']On the other hand, I've just got one for December 9th/10th, so it must vary quite a bit.

Congrats :smile: Which course and college are you applying for/to?

Quick Reply

Latest