The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm chuffed that Durham's 5th :smile:
The biggest surprise here is people still actually read these retarded rankings.
St. Andrews is above Imperial for Physics!

This just makes my decision even harder... :emo:
Queen Mary's number 6 out of 30 for Medicine - doesn't sound right :hmmm: :holmes:
Reply 1264
Original post by Jack McGill
Fine, you have an offer from Cambridge.:smile:

Ha :smile:, I just thought Warwick was meant to be almost good enough to rival Oxford maths...although I could be wrong seeing as I didn't look into it very far after realising it was in the middle of nowhere
Original post by Asboob
Ha :smile:, I just thought Warwick was meant to be almost good enough to rival Oxford maths...although I could be wrong seeing as I didn't look into it very far after realising it was in the middle of nowhere

Actually it's even worse, it's near Coventry :wink:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

The Top 20:

Cambridge

Oxford

Imperial

LSE

Durham

St Andrews

UCL

Warwick

Lancaster

Bath

Bristol

York

Edinburgh

Southampton

Exeter

KCL

Nottingham

SOAS

Loughborough

Sussex

There don't seem to be huge differences from last year, although a few have managed to break into the top 10 that weren't there last year (e.g. Bath).

Thoughts?
wtf? how can imperial be ahead of warwick for maths? omg, i specifically picked warwick because i though they were 'oxbridge' standard for maths... FML!
Exeter has made the biggest jump out of all of them :O
Reply 1269
Original post by SPMS
About right apart from Lancaster?

What do you mean apart from Lancaster? This is the second year Lancaster has been top ten in that league table. Just because it's not one of the older, big city-based universities doesn't diminish its quality.
Original post by I smell like maths
wtf? how can imperial be ahead of warwick for maths? omg, i specifically picked warwick because i though they were 'oxbridge' standard for maths... FML!

Imperial is pretty much always 3rd in the League Tables after Oxford and Cambridge; it's the Big Daddy of science subjects in the U.K. It'll be that high for pretty much all the subjects it offers, I imagine. Don't worry, though; no one is going to look down on Warwick for maths, even if somewhere like Imperial might be a place higher. It's an incredibly prestigious university and you did very well to get in. If you liked the course and the uni then you made the right decision. :smile:
Original post by LadyRowena
Imperial is pretty much always 3rd in the League Tables after Oxford and Cambridge; it's the Big Daddy of science subjects in the U.K. It'll be that high for pretty much all the subjects it offers, I imagine. Don't worry, though; no one is going to look down on Warwick for maths, even if somewhere like Imperial might be a place higher. It's an incredibly prestigious university and you did very well to get in. If you liked the course and the uni then you made the right decision. :smile:

i know i know, but im still shocked since warwick requires STEP for entrance, that means the average quality of candidates are better?... i still think warwick is better for maths... imperial looks as if its gotten 3rd by reputation rather than the actual quality of its department...

oh well, theres always postgraduate at oxbridge, that'll show imperial xD
Reply 1272
i know i know, but im still shocked since warwick requires STEP for entrance, that means the average quality of candidates are better?... i still think warwick is better for maths... imperial looks as if its gotten 3rd by reputation rather than the actual quality of its department...

oh well, theres always postgraduate at oxbridge, that'll show imperial xD

Imperial is a very good university, why do you think them being ranked highly is unlikely? You seem like you don't actually know that much about it..

(Also, Oxford doesn't require STEP does that make their candidates lower quality? )
Reply 1273
Original post by ultimate mashup
The Independent's 2012 Complete University Guide has just been made available on their website.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

So are there any surprises or was it just what you expected?

As per this -

Original post by ultimate mashup
Top 20 = Excellent
Top 30 = Good
30 - 60 = OK/Average - room 4 improvement
60 - 70 = Below Average - not great
Less than 70 = *****

..oh no, Manchester is suddenly good instead of okay :P

I think League tables are made to humour the folks on TSR :P
Original post by Mithra
Imperial is a very good university, why do you think them being ranked highly is unlikely? You seem like you don't actually know that much about it..

(Also, Oxford doesn't require STEP does that make their candidates lower quality? )

i know imperial is a very good university
i didn't say it was unlikely.... im saying that their maths department isn't as good as warwicks so it deserves fourth.

for cambridge you need STEP + interview
oxford have their own entrance exam + interview
warwick you need STEP
imperial you don't need anything, just A's in every module (easier than STEP i can assure you)... they have an interview, but it isn't nearly as intense as an oxbridge one... (a few mates of mine told me they only ask a few relatively basic questions)
therefore the quality of warwick candidates are better than imperials

actually its clear you don't know much about it.

this university table is well off anyway.... if you look further down the list it places nottingham above UCL for mathematics.. something to lol at. :smile:

warwick > imperial for mathematics IMO.

imperial is however better for all other departments.. (except law & finance)
imperial has gotten third (on a bullcrap league table) by name in this case

disagree all you like.. :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1275
i know imperial is a very good university
i didn't say it was unlikely.... im saying that their maths department isn't as good as warwicks so it deserves fourth.

for cambridge you need STEP + interview
oxford have their own entrance exam + interview
warwick you need STEP
imperial you don't need anything, just A's in every module (easier than STEP i can assure you)... they have an interview, but it isn't nearly as intense as an oxbridge one... (a few mates of mine told me they only ask a few relatively basic questions)
therefore the quality of warwick candidates are better than imperials

actually its clear you don't know much about it.

this university table is well off anyway.... if you look further down the list it places nottingham above UCL for mathematics.. something to lol at. :smile:

warwick > imperial for mathematics IMO.

imperial is however better for all other departments.. (except law & finance)
imperial has gotten third (on a bullcrap league table) by name in this case

disagree all you like.. :rolleyes:

I can disagree all I like because I'm right and you're wrong :p:. There's a reason people refer to 'COWI', all four are very good, with differences between them fairly small. I don't know why you have decided Warwick is so much better than Imperial, you've even bolded that it is only your opinion so I'm not quite sure why you are so offended by a league table putting Imperial above it.

As always anyway, with the weightings and statistics they have chosen that is what comes out, you cannot 'disagree' with it logically. They haven't arbitrarily decided it 'by name' whatever that means.

Why does the method of choosing people to accept define quality of department or course anyway?
Original post by Mithra
I can disagree all I like because I'm right and you're wrong :p:. There's a reason people refer to 'COWI', all four are very good, with differences between them fairly small. I don't know why you have decided Warwick is so much better than Imperial, you've even bolded that it is only your opinion so I'm not quite sure why you are so offended by a league table putting Imperial above it.

As always anyway, with the weightings and statistics they have chosen that is what comes out, you cannot 'disagree' with it logically. They haven't arbitrarily decided it 'by name' whatever that means.

Why does the method of choosing people to accept define quality of department or course anyway?

i underlined 'IMO' because, guess what.. its my opinion... im going there next year and i felt like backing my university for my subject, maths..

the best courses are oversubscribed... therefore higher entry requirements..
thats how it usually works

i may have come across strongly in my first post, but what im trying to say is that if imperial had the same 'name/reputation' as warwick, all their maths candidates would pick warwick over them, no candidates = crappier department

yeah you're right though, COWI owns... its like arguing that oxford is better in general than cambridge.. no-one wins :smile:

oxbridge have the edge on imperial and warwick for maths... for the time being :colone:

but still, to cap off... i prefer warwick and others don't :smile:

P.S: this league table has to be rubbish... nottingham CANNOT be better than UCL for maths, right? where did they pull that one out from?
and why is KCL so low for maths? lol
Does anybody know when the 2012 Times university table is published?
P.S: this league table has to be rubbish... nottingham CANNOT be better than UCL for maths, right? where did they pull that one out from?
and why is KCL so low for maths? lol

It's not necessarily rubbish; it's probably something to do with what it's measuring.

One of the reasons UCL scores incredibly highly in league tables is its huge research budget (I've seen it score higher than Oxford in some international tables purely for its research). This league table may not be putting the same emphasis on research as other tables. This league table puts more emphasis on student satisfaction so that's probably what has brought Nottingham up very high; everyone I know who's there hasn't got a bad word to say about it.

Or maybe Nottingham are just really good for maths? :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes. There they are.

/thread.