The Student Room Group

The "I'm Applying for GTP" Thread

I think GTPers deserve a thread too. Unless we just combine the two lol. But anyway who has applied? Anyone heard anything back? Did you have to find a school or not?

Subject: Maths

Universitys: South Bank and West London Partnership

School: An outstanding academy in London. So excited. Had the interview last week and they told me there and then that they wanted me. Very good times :smile:

Date Sent: 6/11/11

Scroll to see replies

Mine is a strange one. It's a consortium consisting of two schools. You apply to them through the TDA website and then they get back to you. So I technically didn't have to secure the school first, but then I suppose it's a more precocious position than securing a school first. I applied for a PGCE as well.

Date Sent: 1/11/11
Reply 2

Training Provider: Applied to Equalitas Teacher Training Services http://www.e-qualitas.org.uk
Apparently they start looking at submitted applications (via the TDA website) some time this month.

School: A state grammar in South West London (although the year would involve a few months at a comprehensive). I spent a week there teaching and observing earlier this year, and also happen to be a former student.

Applied: 12th October.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Woostarite
also happen to be a former student.

Are you sure you are allowed to do this? Every single place I've looked at says you cannot go back to a previous school within 5 years.
Reply 4
Original post by cat_2002_12
Are you sure you are allowed to do this? Every single place I've looked at says you cannot go back to a previous school within 5 years.

I'm a PhD student so am slightly older. I haven't been a student at that school since 2004. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah awesome :smile:
Wow PHD for a teacher - impressive lol
Reply 6
Totally agree about representing fellow GTP-ers!

Subject: Primary

Universitys: South Bank

School: Holy Trinity primary in Sloane Square.

I've got my interview at South Bank on 5th Dec....the info states that it consists of a written task, group discussion, and a short individual task focusing on the candidates ability to reflect on their experience. Just wondering if anyone else has also got an interview, or had any advice?? I know GTP places are like gold dust so am starting to feel a tad nervous! :s-smilie:

Good luck to everyone else applying! x
Reply 7
Original post by dani_mc
Totally agree about representing fellow GTP-ers!

Universitys: South Bank

School: Holy Trinity primary in Sloane Square.

I've got my interview at South Bank on 5th Dec....the info states that it consists of a written task, group discussion, and a short individual task focusing on the candidates ability to reflect on their experience. Just wondering if anyone else has also got an interview, or had any advice?? I know GTP places are like gold dust so am starting to feel a tad nervous! :s-smilie:

Good luck to everyone else applying! x

Yeah Ive got an interview on Dec 13th for Secondary Maths. I have to do a written task before hand, a presentation, a written task when I get there, an individual interview and a group discussion. TERRIFIED!!!
Original post by Woostarite

Training Provider: Applied to Equalitas Teacher Training Services http://www.e-qualitas.org.uk
Apparently they start looking at submitted applications (via the TDA website) some time this month.

School: A state grammar in South West London (although the year would involve a few months at a comprehensive). I spent a week there teaching and observing earlier this year, and also happen to be a former student.

Ahh, another Tiffinian I see - I went to the girls' school. (sorry, have been stalking your website - am also about to start observation at the school you went to before Tiffin! Crazy)

More generally - I am applying for the Southfields Community College Secondary History course. They're slightly different in that they sort the school placement out for you once you've been accepted.

Not too hopeful about it, it's v competitive, but we shall see.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 9
Hello all!

Subject: Mathematics
University: Reading University

School: A comprehensive school just outside of Reading. I did a placement there last year and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Applied: 24th October, interviews are expected to be held in January if I'm selected!!
Literally sent my GTP Primary application for Nottingham Trent Uni half an hour ago. I went to a session they had where they were talking to ethnic minorities about teaching, they have funds to try and recruite ethnic minorities, so im hoping that fact will play a factor lol. Ive always wanted to be a teacher but all these people who are doing it for the sake of it are taking places of people who always wanted to do it :frown: if i dont get in i will cry cos i have applied for pgce as well and if i dont get in for one i dont have a back up plan and i really want to do it :'(
Hi everyone,

Training Provider: Hopefully Chester

School: An infants school in Derbyshire

I'd love to know what sort of experience everyone has before they applied? I'm a little worried about my application as I have over two years voluntary experience (including running a french club, assisting SEN events and in the 'nurture room' weekly) but no paid experience with children and everyone I've heard of to get a GTP place have been a TA before hand. What does everyone think is a suitable amount of experience?

Would love to hear your thoughts :smile:

Good luck everyone!!
I saw GTP and got excited about G proteins, transport into the nucleus, catastrophe of microtubules... you've dissapointed me
Reply 13
Original post by BeccaButtons
Hi everyone,

Training Provider: Hopefully Chester

School: An infants school in Derbyshire

I'd love to know what sort of experience everyone has before they applied? I'm a little worried about my application as I have over two years voluntary experience (including running a french club, assisting SEN events and in the 'nurture room' weekly) but no paid experience with children and everyone I've heard of to get a GTP place have been a TA before hand. What does everyone think is a suitable amount of experience?

Would love to hear your thoughts :smile:

Good luck everyone!!

I thought that when i first applied - i'd done a few week long placements and voluntary roles but had no continuous TA-esque classroom experience. When i arrived to my interview I was even more worried after listening to some of the other candidates who all seemed far more qualified than i did. Found out on Weds that i've been accepted onto the course! I think what they're looking for more than anything is a good attitude that shows you have demonstrated a desire to work with children. This doesn't necessarily have to be in a school environment (although this obviously helps!) The experience you've had sounds perfect, and it's definitely something you can build on at interview. Good luck! x
Reply 14
Had my interview yesterday and just been offered a place - I had no TA experience and am still completing my degree so don't be put off. I just wrote to lots of schools and 2 got back to me
Reply 15
can someone kindly PM me with an answer...

Hi, i am thinking of doing combined honours Sport Studies with Education Studies (75% to 25%)..
I know that i want to become secondary school teacher and go on the route of a GTP instead of a PGCE..
I heard that GTPs are very competitive so you have to stand out from others..

Now, would it give me a better chance to be accept to do a GTP if i do education studies with my sport studies??
I've read somewhere that to be accepted in GTP, you need to have a lot of experience in schools and knowledge about schools, education system etc..

So would doing education studies with my sports studies help me??

Thanks.
Reply 16
can someone kindly PM me with an answer... or post an answer here (:

Hi, i am thinking of doing combined honours Sport Studies with Education Studies (75% to 25%)..
I know that i want to become secondary school teacher and go on the route of a GTP instead of a PGCE..
I heard that GTPs are very competitive so you have to stand out from others..

Now, would it give me a better chance to be accept to do a GTP if i do education studies with my sport studies??
I've read somewhere that to be accepted in GTP, you need to have a lot of experience in schools and knowledge about schools, education system etc..

So would doing education studies with my sports studies help me??

Thanks.
Congratulations dani_mc and cat _2002_12 for getting on to the courses! I've sent off my application and now just waiting to hear back. How do they get back to you? I know it's different to applying through GTTR.
I'm so nervous but also have an interview at Huddersfield for a PGCE on the 5th so I have a few options. So excited I can hardly wait! I've also been able to get paid TA work since last posting and this has helped me gain in confidence. I just hope my application was strong enough!!
:biggrin:
Hi! I'm not sure what to do...

I've been offered a place on the GTP at both the Institute of Education and at London South Bank for September 2012, and I'm not sure which offer to accept.

On the one the hand, the Institute has the best reputation, so I'm inclined to go with them, but on the other hand, LSBU would award me with a PGCE certificate and 60 Master level credits at the end of my GTP year, which would be very useful if I ever wanted to teach overseas (very likely) since the GTP isn't recognised internationally, whereas the PGCE is.

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 19
South Bank!!! Reputation means nothing, ur hardly in the uni anyway so rli doesn't matter and you are gnna feel so annoyed if one day you realise you want that PGCE. Tbh if it's likely you will want to teach abroad surely there is no contest?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending