The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by berlingo

just need to step up a gear with my Access course, as most Unis seem to be upping their requirements, since i started this whole process

anyone know if you will look daft turning up to interview with a small suitcase, as im going to travel up by train, and stay the night before?

B

I've done the Access course as a mature student for entry and yes they've upped the requirements from last yr. I've had bit of a battle to get them to accept it as its not the normal Access to Science they recommend. However, got an interview for Derby 18 Jan, anyone else going?

As long as its not a kids Trunki animal one you should be fine! I'm sure they undertand that people will have to travel to interviews, they may even have a room set aside for it?
Original post by vicky70
I've done the Access course as a mature student for entry and yes they've upped the requirements from last yr. I've had bit of a battle to get them to accept it as its not the normal Access to Science they recommend. However, got an interview for Derby 18 Jan, anyone else going?

As long as its not a kids Trunki animal one you should be fine! I'm sure they undertand that people will have to travel to interviews, they may even have a room set aside for it?

Derby seem to have ridiculously high entry requirements compared to all my other options. I have got 5 interviews in January and by far Derby has the highest entry requirements and the longest interview process. Some of my other interviews are only 15 minutes long (with a short written exercise).

As far as I'm concerned Derby isn't a prestigious university (it's the old Derby Technical College) and, whilst I haven't heard anything bad about its health courses, I can't find any reports that would suggest it stands head and shoulders above the rest. I do like the campus and its facilities (particularly the library) but I'm not particularly enamoured with the location - especially the prospect of getting Leicester as a placement!

So I can't make up my mind whether it's just a psychological game (to make you think it's a better uni than it actually is) or they genuinely have a lot of high calibre applicants.
Ye I have heard a lot of places are putting there grades up. Liverpool are putting up there offer from BCC to BBB in 2012- that is straight from the admissions tutors mouth too. Best get my grades this year then eh! :smile:
Reply 423
UCS want 30 merits and 15 distinction - preferably in science based subjects

then its a morning of tours and talks. a one hour maths/english assessment and finally a 1/2 hr interview

if i make it through all that, i think i can cope with anything that the course will throw at me

B
Original post by razzmatazz rach
If you have any questions about Liverpool as a city feel free to ask since I am originally from there and live there all my life until I moved away fro uni.

There are a few people on our course who travel in and they have said for the first few weeks they did feel left out especially during freshers week but now they have all made friends who live on or near campus and usually spend the night there after a night out. I have a few friends who spend the night at mine and get the bus in the morning to save taxi fare.

Also joining a club or team will help to make friends, I have made a lot of friends through karate.
Also in Carlise there are only 25ish students compared to the 45 in Lancaster so I think it will be easier to make friends up there.

Carlisle students can get placements in Carlisle, Dumfries, Northumbria (North Tyne or Wansbeck), South Tyneside and Sunderland. They do take into account where you live and if you get a bursary to cover travelling expenses when deciding your placement. This might help with making your decision about uni's and living at home etc.

I have an interview at Bangor too in February, did you have one there? Was it just really the same as Cumbria but with a maths and english test at the start?
Original post by JordanUK
I have an interview at Bangor too in February, did you have one there? Was it just really the same as Cumbria but with a maths and english test at the start?

I had an interview at Bangor in the first time I applied to uni for 2010 entry so it might have changed since then, it sounds like it has since I didn't have to do a maths or english test.

When I went it was written part and a group interview. The written part was about why you wanted to do radiography so I just rewrote my personal statement. The group interview was all the normal questions but you had to try and fight to get your point across but not seem to pushy. Also at one point everyone in the group got a question on a piece of paper to answer and after you said your answer the rest of the group got to add their opinions in.

There are also a tour of the uni which was really quick because there isn't much to see.
Original post by dreaminchicken
You will make friends and on nights out I'm sure they won't mind you crashing at theirs. I live off campus, quite a way away from Lancaster but as I'm a mature student it doesn't really bother me not living in halls and going out every night as I've had that experience before. I won't lie, you will probably find it hard at first but after a week or two you'll be fine I'd imagine.

Weigh up the pros and cons. If you live at home and were lucky enough to get your placement near your home it would save you a fortune in having to possibly pay rent for accomodation that you won't be using on placement.

How long after your interview did it take them to get back to you?
Reply 427
Original post by razzmatazz rach
If you have any questions about Liverpool as a city feel free to ask since I am originally from there and live there all my life until I moved away fro uni.

There are a few people on our course who travel in and they have said for the first few weeks they did feel left out especially during freshers week but now they have all made friends who live on or near campus and usually spend the night there after a night out. I have a few friends who spend the night at mine and get the bus in the morning to save taxi fare.

Also joining a club or team will help to make friends, I have made a lot of friends through karate.
Also in Carlise there are only 25ish students compared to the 45 in Lancaster so I think it will be easier to make friends up there.

Carlisle students can get placements in Carlisle, Dumfries, Northumbria (North Tyne or Wansbeck), South Tyneside and Sunderland. They do take into account where you live and if you get a bursary to cover travelling expenses when deciding your placement. This might help with making your decision about uni's and living at home etc.

Thankyou, this really helped! :smile:
Reply 428
Original post by berlingo
UCS want 30 merits and 15 distinction - preferably in science based subjects

then its a morning of tours and talks. a one hour maths/english assessment and finally a 1/2 hr interview

if i make it through all that, i think i can cope with anything that the course will throw at me

B

top tip just be yourself at the interview. because you sound believable when your are n't nervous. i had my interview at ucs a few weeks ago and it really went well. so if u have any questions. i am happy to answer them
Reply 429
Got an interview for teesside uni, woop woop! Anyone else?
Original post by JordanUK
How long after your interview did it take them to get back to you?

A few days, I think they got back to most people pretty quickly with a yes or no :smile:
Reply 431
Original post by zion1
top tip just be yourself at the interview. because you sound believable when your are n't nervous. i had my interview at ucs a few weeks ago and it really went well. so if u have any questions. i am happy to answer them

Hi Zion1, UCS just sent me an email for the interview( I applied for Adult Nursing )
and was wondering what are the tests like...sorry for the silly question but I am a mature student and have forgotten a few things .....:redface: and wanted to know what to revise.....thx a lot!
Original post by dreaminchicken
A few days, I think they got back to most people pretty quickly with a yes or no :smile:

Ekkkk, I'm soo nervous!
Reply 433
Original post by tsveti
Hi Zion1, UCS just sent me an email for the interview( I applied for Adult Nursing )
and was wondering what are the tests like...sorry for the silly question but I am a mature student and have forgotten a few things .....:redface: and wanted to know what to revise.....thx a lot!

hello mate. if your interview is anything like mine then. you'll have a numeracy and literacy test both 20 mins each. they are quite basic but they use negative marking so it's possible to score minus marks.

you might have an overview of the course and a tour of campus. then individual interviews in the afternoon. they last between 30-60mins. mine lasted almost an hour but a certain gal was done in 10mins.

the questions are not tricky at all but you need to do your research because you have two senior lecturers trying to assess both your clinical and academic suitability.
the lecturers were very accommodating and obviously know that you are nervous but try and stay calm and answer every question honestly, show a genuine interest and the knowledge of what you are getting into. you should be fine.
remember by the time they shortlisted you for the interview they think you have the potential .
all the best and you should be fine
Reply 434
Thank you, having some sort of an inside makes me feel a lot better!
I think that the interviews are similar obviousely there will be differences but still....:smile:
Did you get a reply from them?
Wish you all the best:smile:
Reply 435
yes i was offered a place so can't wait to start.
Reply 436
Original post by maturestudy
Derby seem to have ridiculously high entry requirements compared to all my other options. I have got 5 interviews in January and by far Derby has the highest entry requirements and the longest interview process. Some of my other interviews are only 15 minutes long (with a short written exercise).

As far as I'm concerned Derby isn't a prestigious university (it's the old Derby Technical College) and, whilst I haven't heard anything bad about its health courses, I can't find any reports that would suggest it stands head and shoulders above the rest. I do like the campus and its facilities (particularly the library) but I'm not particularly enamoured with the location - especially the prospect of getting Leicester as a placement!

So I can't make up my mind whether it's just a psychological game (to make you think it's a better uni than it actually is) or they genuinely have a lot of high calibre applicants.

Yes they do seem to have a high entry requirement compared to others. I did the interview there last year so know what to expect. Maybe they are just picky with their entrants, I don't know? Unfortunately they are my only choice so I don't have any comparisons.
Original post by vicky70
Yes they do seem to have a high entry requirement compared to others. I did the interview there last year so know what to expect. Maybe they are just picky with their entrants, I don't know? Unfortunately they are my only choice so I don't have any comparisons.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Did you get in and if so, how is it there? If not, are you going to apply again this year?
Reply 438
:rolleyes:
Original post by J3551CA
I've just received a interview letter from Birmingham and it's on the 11th January. I am going to be nervous for this all over xmas. What kind of questions will they ask me? Im really busy with assignments but should I read some radiography books to give me some knowledge? :confused:

I got an interview there same day aswell :biggrin:
Original post by yeebz93
:rolleyes:

I got an interview there same day aswell :biggrin:

Not heard anything from Birmingham yet but have Interviews at Cumbria and Salford. Did you get your Birmingham invitation via UCAS Track or snail mail? Merry Xmas everyone!

Latest