The Student Room Group

M3 Jan 2012 Edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Damn it. Worrying about my A*, again.... :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by QuangHa
Damn it. Worrying about my A*, again.... :frown:

Don't worry it can't be above 70. People will make silly mistakes and lose a mark or two (it just happens), some will fail it completely because of lack of preparation and understanding and some just gave it a good go after a solid day of covering the module from scratch, still a variety of candidates with slightly higher GB I wouldn't worry too much you will definitely get an A* :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by dude345
Don't worry it can't be above 70. People will make silly mistakes and lose a mark or two (it just happens), some will fail it completely because of lack of preparation and understanding and some just gave it a good go after a solid day of covering the module from scratch, still a variety of candidates with slightly higher GB I wouldn't worry too much you will definitely get an A* :smile:

I really want to rate this post up. Sr, fail to do so, just gave u a thumb-up in ur answers post already. Thnx, anw, very much :redface:
Reply 23
Original post by QuangHa
What was it about? Is it something with v=10/x+6?

I've got 0,0125 and direction toward 0 for acceleration, and time travel is something like, well 17.8s. Ring a bell?

I got the same answer, but this question took lot of time. I haven't seen any question previously in which velocity is a function of displacement.
Reply 24
So I'm one of the only people to think it was by far the worse M3 exam out of all? I did M3 straight after my M2 exam (which was very easy). I guess I just revised all the wrong stuff for M3...
Reply 25
Hoping for 75/75, but can't ensure if i will get it or not. Actually i practiced only the june 2011 paper, but still my opinion is that the exam was quite easy except 1 or 2 questions.
The troublesome question were:
The kinematics question, this gave velocity in terms of displacement, something i hadn't seen before. However i managed to get the answers as 0.0125 directed towards C and answer for part b as 17.8s. However i made multiple attempts for part b and didn't cut all my attempts, it was in the final attempt that i found the correct answer. I think in edexcel a-level maths it is allowed to make multiple attempts for a question.
The other question was the integration question. I know the question was extremely simple but it's part a required long calculations which was time consuming.
Reply 26
Original post by Plastonick
So I'm one of the only people to think it was by far the worse M3 exam out of all? I did M3 straight after my M2 exam (which was very easy). I guess I just revised all the wrong stuff for M3...

To be honest, M3 wasn't difficult. I did M2 in june 2011, so don't know about the yesterdays exam.
In M3, the question set were all very simple and straight forward, except the kinematics question which was tricky because it gave velocity in terms of displacement.
Reply 27
Original post by dude345
Q1:
lambda = 41.3952
Q2:
a) 1.8 ms/2 towards C
b) 1.3747 ms
c.) time = 0.137s
Q3
a.) -1/80 ms/2
b.) 17.8s
Q4.
a.) show that... no need for an answer
b.) omega = 4.04 rad/s
Q5.
a.) show that force = ... blah blah
b.) 9 marks differential equation where the velocity at height R above the surface was root 5gR/6 (i dont remember that one)
Q6.
a.) show that... blah blah (8 marks)
b.) costheta = 0.25 therefore v = root0.25gl or something
c.) 15/128
Q7
a. show that blah blah
b. 70.5 degrees
c. tan beta = 0.3, beta = 16.7 degrees

all of top of my head so I dont remember the exact figures

Slightly easier than previous papers with a few 'traps'

GB ------>> Very Very Rough Guess (it may vary +/- 4)

100UMS - 75
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS - 63
70 UMS - 55

All similiar answers but i got omega as 7/2 in question 4b, could you remind me what the question was?????
(edited 12 years ago)
How many marks was question 6c? I forgot the ball still has a horizontal component of velocity at its max height !!
Eep, looks like I only got 45/75 :colone:
Reply 30
Yes I think omega has to be 3.5 as radius was (0.8 + extension) not just 0.8,
looking at 100 UMS
Reply 31
Original post by praharsh
looking at 100 UMS

That's not radius, but the length of the string.

Radius was 1.2sin60.
How many marks was question 6c? I forgot the ball still has a horizontal component of velocity at its max height !!
Reply 33
looking at 100 UMS

Can you indicate me which question are you talking about? Just can't remember it.
Reply 34
Original post by Plastonick

I thought there were a lot of non-standard questions, like the kinematicssone with V in terms of x (instead of t), and having 2 9 markers and an 8 seemed pretty harsh. Tbf I only did a few practice papers so can't be sure about it in comparison, but i thought it varied from bog standard to really frickin wierd between questions :P I'm pretty chuffed looking at those answers- I made up the method to some of them (mainly grav and kin) and looks like I got the right answer so finger crossed :P I reckon the grad boundaries will be a bit lower than predicted though so fingers crossed!
Reply 35
Ok yes that makes sense, i took the fixed point as the centre idk why!! :frown:
gota settle for A*, good thing i scored well in m4 m5
Original post by dude345
Q1:
lambda = 41.3952
Q2:
a) 1.8 ms/2 towards C
b) 1.3747 ms
c.) time = 0.137s
Q3
a.) -1/80 ms/2
b.) 17.8s
Q4.
a.) show that... no need for an answer
b.) omega = 4.04 rad/s
Q5.
a.) show that force = ... blah blah
b.) 9 marks differential equation where the velocity at height R above the surface was root 5gR/6 (i dont remember that one)
Q6.
a.) show that... blah blah (8 marks)
b.) costheta = 0.25 therefore v = root0.25gl or something
c.) 15/128
Q7
a. show that blah blah
b. 70.5 degrees
c. tan beta = 0.3, beta = 16.7 degrees

all of top of my head so I dont remember the exact figures

Slightly easier than previous papers with a few 'traps'

GB ------>> Very Very Rough Guess (it may vary +/- 4)

100UMS - 75
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS - 63
70 UMS - 55

These answers seem very familiar. :smile:
Reply 37
Ok yes that makes sense, i took the fixed point as the centre idk why!! :frown:
gota settle for A*, good thing i scored well in m4 m5

you've already done m4 m5? y u doin m3 now?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by iluvmaths
you've already done m4 m5? y u doin m3 now?

Maybe retaking M3 from previous sessions after doing M4,M5 in june, don't judge him :-)
Reply 39
Original post by CharlieAdam1

It was 4 Marks,

One for the actual answer

One for method used (energy/resolving)

Two accuracy marks for right angles and figures

Quick Reply

Latest