The Student Room Group

Are the number of GCSE's that I am taking under average?

I am just wondering if I will have less GCSE's than your average person.

The GCSE's which I will have are:
- Mathematics
- English Language
- English Literature
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Biology
- Statistics
- Physical Education
- Drama

Now, that is only 9 full GCSE subjects.

I will also have:
- Religious Studies, Short Course (Half a GCSE)
- Preparation for Work in Life (Pointless waste of time)
- ICT OCR

How many GCSE's will/do you have?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think anywhere between 8 and 12 is pretty standard. Just work hard to get good grades in them, that's all that matters :p:
Reply 2
I have 10, just because i did long course religious studies.. Im assuming by the fact youv listed the sciences seperately means your doing triple science rather than a double or single award science?
Original post by Lollyage
I think anywhere between 8 and 12 is pretty standard. Just work hard to get good grades in them, that's all that matters :p:

It's just that I've seen people on here with 11-13, and it worried me a bit. I'm doing well, all A*'s, a couple of A's and a B (Damn you English Literature).

Original post by just george
I have 10, just because i did long course religious studies.. Im assuming by the fact youv listed the sciences seperately means your doing triple science rather than a double or single award science?

I glad I didn't have to d long course R.S, I'm much happier I've not had to do any R.S this year at all! And yes, I took Triple Science.
Reply 4
I'm also doing ten, due to the full RE GCSE.
Well I am doing 11 GCSEs, 1 AS, 1 FSMQ. And other talented people in my school who don't do an AS will have either 14 or 15 GCSEs. Only abot 30 will have 14 and about 5-10 will have 15. But, I think 10 is average so 9.5 is fine.
Original post by GreenLantern1
Well I am doing 11 GCSEs, 1 AS, 1 FSMQ. And other talented people in my school who don't do an AS will have either 14 or 15 GCSEs. Only abot 30 will have 14 and about 5-10 will have 15. But, I think 10 is average so 9.5 is fine.

I got your mistake this time :wink:

But yes, I also have an FSMQ, but still, that is much less than what you have just stated. I wonder why I am only doing 9.5 and an FSMQ, considering the fact that I am in the Top 3 Academically able students in my school? Yet around 5-10 people in your school will have 15?
Reply 7
Original post by CharlieBoardman
It's just that I've seen people on here with 11-13, and it worried me a bit. I'm doing well, all A*'s, a couple of A's and a B (Damn you English Literature).

I glad I didn't have to d long course R.S, I'm much happier I've not had to do any R.S this year at all! And yes, I took Triple Science.

hehe, i had the same number of lessons whichever i did, so did the long course.. didnt do any work mind :smile: triple science is good, your fine with that many gcses, no need for any more :smile:

But yes, I also have an FSMQ, but still, that is much less than what you have just stated. I wonder why I am only doing 9.5 and an FSMQ, considering the fact that I am in the Top 3 Academically able students in my school? Yet around 5-10 people in your school will have 15?

At our school we did a few GCSEs early like Statistics in year 10 and ICT in year 9, and obviously Science in year 10 so maybe that is why?:colondollar: Grammar Nazi hehe! It was a typographical transcription error - what can I say, a guy of even my calibre is prone to them. Don't know what that last sentence was meant to mean - I started using big words and it got fun!:biggrin:
Reply 9
I do 13 in all, which is idiotic. Along with that I'm doing a couple of AS's, also at our school if you do two languages (excluding english) you have to do a short course in a third language GCSE. Overall I do 13 and a half GCSEs and 2 AS levels
Reply 10
I am doing 9.5.
At our school we did a few GCSEs early like Statistics in year 10 and ICT in year 9, and obviously Science in year 10 so maybe that is why?:colondollar: Grammar Nazi hehe! It was a typographical transcription error - what can I say, a guy of even my calibre is prone to them. Don't know what that last sentence was meant to mean - I started using big words and it got fun!:biggrin:

I also did Stats in Year 10. What ICT course did you do? I am doing the ICT OCR course, where you either get a Fail, Pass, Merit or Distinction. Is this still a GCSE or not?

Well, you have pleasantly highlighted my grammatical malfunctions over the past couple of days. So I only thought it to be fair to return the favour! I have activated my Hawk eyes now, be warned!! :wink:

I also believe that a guy of your caliber should not be spelling caliber incorrectly :wink: gott'cha again....!

Feels great when you construct a sentence which sounds highly intellectual doesn't it :biggrin:

Original post by BenWood!X
I do 13 in all, which is idiotic. Along with that I'm doing a couple of AS's, also at our school if you do two languages (excluding english) you have to do a short course in a third language GCSE. Overall I do 13 and a half GCSEs and 2 AS levels

See, this is what I mean. That is much more than what I am doing.

They are probably including BTEC GCSE equivalents. They could get getting 3-4 GCSEs for doing one BTEC subject. A lot of schools inflate their GCSE results that way.
I'm only studying 9 GCSE.

with pointless DIDA. (worth "3" HAHAHAH GCSE)
and a BTEC Worth one.

If you were predicted a "B" in a language they made you take NVQ...
I'm doing 12 GCSE's. Some of my friends are doing 8, some are doing 14.
I also did Stats in Year 10. What ICT course did you do? I am doing the ICT OCR course, where you either get a Fail, Pass, Merit or Distinction. Is this still a GCSE or not?

Well, you have pleasantly highlighted my grammatical malfunctions over the past couple of days. So I only thought it to be fair to return the favour! I have activated my Hawk eyes now, be warned!! :wink:

I also believe that a guy of your caliber should not be spelling caliber incorrectly :wink: gott'cha again....!

Feels great when you construct a sentence which sounds highly intellectual doesn't it :biggrin:

See, this is what I mean. That is much more than what I am doing.

Yours isn't a GCSE but ours was. Btw calibre is the English spelling. Caliber is an American spelling- both are fine though, some more so than others. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/calibre
Reply 16
generaly you need 5 A*-C grades to progress to further education though the norm is to do 8 - 10 gcse's
Original post by Suzanathema
They are probably including BTEC GCSE equivalents. They could get getting 3-4 GCSEs for doing one BTEC subject. A lot of schools inflate their GCSE results that way.

No, no one in my school does BTECs. When I say 15 GCSEs I mean 15 actual GCSE subjects.
Yours isn't a GCSE but ours was. Btw calibre is the English spelling. Caliber is an American spelling- both are fine though, some more so than others. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/calibre

I hate pointless courses.
Ah, you learn something new everyday! I always associated 'Calibre' with military only, not as the same as 'caliber'.
I hate pointless courses.
Ah, you learn something new everyday! I always associated 'Calibre' with military only, not as the same as 'caliber'.

Btw no one in my school does BTECs. When I say 15 GCSEs I mean 15 actual GCSE subjects. Just to let you know. And those that do 15 will generally have it alongside the Addmaths FSMQ.

Quick Reply

Latest