The Student Room Group

Pharmacy applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3660
Original post by Bright
The Kings and UCL offer holders which did you choose and why?

Having the same trouble as you! not sure which to decide. Any1 with advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bright
The Kings and UCL offer holders which did you choose and why?

you haven't chosen? :smile: I picked UCL but I think i told you why, which one are you leaning towards?
Reply 3662
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
you haven't chosen? :smile: I picked UCL but I think i told you why, which one are you leaning towards?

Nope not yet and leaning more towards UCL Might see you isA!:smile:
..what did you pick for insurance?
hello everyone! :smile:
I'm currently in AS year, and i want to do pharmacy in university REALLY BAD!
In my AS JANUARY exams a got a B in chemistry, B in biology and a C in history
and hopefully at the end of this year that will be AAB or ABB or BBB depends on how hard i work. I'm also going to sort on my work experience as i know a few people so that won't be a big problem

do you think when i apply for the course the uni's will consider me
And also are there any tips on how to revise?
very much appreciated :smile:
Original post by azeem riaz
hello everyone! :smile:
I'm currently in AS year, and i want to do pharmacy in university REALLY BAD!
In my AS JANUARY exams a got a B in chemistry, B in biology and a C in history
and hopefully at the end of this year that will be AAB or ABB or BBB depends on how hard i work. I'm also going to sort on my work experience as i know a few people so that won't be a big problem

do you think when i apply for the course the uni's will consider me
And also are there any tips on how to revise?
very much appreciated :smile:

Hey,

The key to being successful is to have the minimum predicted grades the uni needs. Even if you get ABB in AS, make sure your teachers predict you AAB. Your grade are good considering they are your first AS exams. You can start researching the uni's you like and make sure you attend open days.
Original post by Freiheit
Hey,

The key to being successful is to have the minimum predicted grades the uni needs. Even if you get ABB in AS, make sure your teachers predict you AAB. Your grade are good considering they are your first AS exams. You can start researching the uni's you like and make sure you attend open days.

hey
thanks for the advice.
I've done some research about uni's and i and i have a few in mind that i would like to go to.
do recommend any uni's that i should look into
hey
thanks for the advice.
I've done some research about uni's and i and i have a few in mind that i would like to go to.
do recommend any uni's that i should look into

I think the type of environment you enjoy living in is a major factor because it's 4 years. Some people prefer large cities (I am one of those people) some people prefer small town/cities. Personally, I would recommend Nottingham although its harder to receive an offer from them and UCLsop.

Larger cities:
Nottingham
UCL school of Pharmacy
Kings CL
Cardiff
Manchester
Aston

Smaller cities:
Bath
Reading
Brighton
UEA

You can read more on:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Pharmacy_Degree#Entry_Requirements
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Freiheit
I think the type of environment you enjoy living in is a major factor because it's 4 years. Some people prefer large cities (I am one of those people) some people prefer small town/cities. Personally, I would recommend Nottingham although its harder to receive an offer from them and UCLsop.

Larger cities:
Nottingham
UCL school of Pharmacy
Kings CL
Cardiff
Manchester
Aston

Smaller cities:
Bath
Reading
Brighton
UEA

You can read more on:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Pharmacy_Degree#Entry_Requirements

do uni's look at your GCSE results and if they do could that make or break your chance of going to your desired uni?
do uni's look at your GCSE results and if they do could that make or break your chance of going to your desired uni?

I didn't even take GCSE's I was in different non-UK school system so it shouldn't matter but you should make sure you fulfil their requirements because the competition for Pharmacy will continue to increase.

Hey, my application was a bit different as I'm a mature student and applied with kind of alternative qualifications but to be honest even for me I don't think GCSEs played a big part. You'd think they would be a clear indicator since I didn't have straight forward AAB or ABB at A level but it seems to be that whatever you've done since seems to trump your previous qualifications. So long as you meet the unis minimum requirements at GCSE I shouldn't think you'd even be asked about them. I got like 9 Bs, a coupla A/A*s and a C in Maths! So not amazing - But have still got places at every interview. I just had to do a Maths test for my firm.
So if there are any gaps in GCSE grades just make sure you can justify them or prove yourself otherwise. I don't think it's like applying for medicine where they expect you to have always excelled in everything.
They mainly look at your science and Maths for obvious reasons but if your grades weren't amazing for those and they ask just make sure you tie in your A level study with them and say how far you've come.
I suspect the more popular and prestigious schools potentially could be picky about GCSEs like Nott, UCL/LSOP, Bath, Manchester or Cardiff. Just apply for a variety of your favourites and be prepared for selling yourself in interviews should they ask :smile:
Goodluck! Just make sure you get that work exp done! It'll make more of a difference to your app than GCSEs and will give you a REAL experience of Pharmacy hopefully :biggrin:
Hii does anyone know if pharmacy applicants are eligible for NHS bursaries or DoH bursaries?? Because we have to do a pre-reg course.. not so sure so any help would be great, thanks!!
Original post by Inspire12
Hii does anyone know if pharmacy applicants are eligible for NHS bursaries or DoH bursaries?? Because we have to do a pre-reg course.. not so sure so any help would be great, thanks!!

I don't think so, as the Pre-Reg year is a requirement by the accrediting body. Not by the NHS!

You would have to double check though! :h:
Original post by Doctor.
Welcome back :redface: where you been? :tongue:

Damn road-workers messed up my virgin media line :frown:
Original post by Jin3011
Damn road-workers messed up my virgin media line :frown:

That's pretty funny :P. Lol I thought you were saying you went on holiday or something :lol:
Original post by Doctor.
That's pretty funny :P. Lol I thought you were saying you went on holiday or something :lol:

Wish I did go on holiday, but I'm jobless & broke:redface: I'm currently volunteering at an accountancy firm as admin - I'm actually here now, bored out my mind. But I seriously need some experience and a reliable job reference so I guess I have to stick it out a little longer:tongue:
Original post by Jin3011
Wish I did go on holiday, but I'm jobless & broke:redface: I'm currently volunteering at an accountancy firm as admin - I'm actually here now, bored out my mind. But I seriously need some experience and a reliable job reference so I guess I have to stick it out a little longer:tongue:

Accountancy firm sounds... interesting :colone:

Fair enough, I should be getting some experiences but I haz exams!

My GCSE's were crap to be honest. got 1A*, 1A, 7B's and 1C. Did no work at all and got distracted by the wrong crowd. At the start of year 12, they all dropped out and hence i could really knuckle down and focus on A-levels.

And I got interviews from all my choices, Nottingham, Bath, UEA, Reading and Hertfordshire. In particular Nottingham and Bath who have high academic expectations of their incoming students. The point I'm expressing, is the fact that i even got interviews from them, which goes to show that GCSE's aren't strongly taken into account. My only rejection from nottingham was down to my interview performance on the day admittingly. You need to make sure English Language and Maths are C or above.

Are you in year 12 at the moment?
(edited 11 years ago)
Firmed King's :biggrin:
Best start working hard to get those grades!! :smile:

Anyone else firmed King's?
Ugh anybody else having problems with student finance? I tried to register my dad for a customer reference but it says he may already be registered, but he's not because I am the first from my family to be registering from my family, although i had someone from my family register for student finance about 10 years ago... so does this count? Help!!!
Reply 3679
I don't know which uni to firm Manchester or UEA! I am leaning towards Manchester as it is a russel group uni with a great reputation. On the other side UEA has one of the best pharmacy courses so I really don't know which one to firm. So I thought I could ask you guys for your opinion. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending