The Student Room Group

AS Aspects of narrative exam 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Flyteryder
Are these your whole answers, or parts of answers extracted from full answers? :smile:

Whole answers.
Reply 81
Original post by ash9002
Really stuck for ideas on symbolism for tennyson and hardy poems :frown: anyone got any? Would be much appreciated!

Tennyson I'd talk about the Lady of Shalott's tower :smile: great one for context and debate too :smile:
Reply 82
Anybody got tops tips for getting an A ???? I really need that difference between the A and the B Grade !! Plus - are the boundaries really weird. I looked on AQA and it said that anybody between 63 and 84/84 got 120/120 UMS !!!! It seems so strange :s-smilie:
Original post by AbsolutePotOfKurry
Erm.. i'm a n00b at quoting..

I'm pretty sure it does, and even if it wasn't your main point, it could potentially be like an 'add-on' so to say in the explanation.. perhaps the language used by a particular voice is central. For example, in the Kite Runner there are a lot of arabic words integrated into their speech such as 'Agha' and 'Jan' which are terms of endearment that reflect the culture they have (as well as the hierarchy of cultures, the personalities of characters etcetc) and perhaps wouldn't be so effective when translated... You might not have studied this but I hope you can apply it xD I'm hoping that answered your vernacular Q :colondollar:

As for openings, it's usually left up to the candidate. Don't go crazy like Chp5 or something, but openings generally mean the first stanza, the first 10 lines (depending on length of poem) or the first chapter :smile:

Did your AS paper get double marked before you got your result?

That answered my question really well thank you :smile: Plus your T.K.R point was brillant. I was just panicking that talking about vernacular would be going on tangent, my speciality :colondollar: I didn't get my AS paper remarked but my teacher got it back in September and we went through it together. I was micro-analysing in Section A so I couldn't get many marks and completely misunderstood the narrative gap question in blind exam panic. Hopefully this time I'll be a little closer to my B goal.
Original post by Dodecahedron
That answered my question really well thank you :smile: Plus your T.K.R point was brillant. I was just panicking that talking about vernacular would be going on tangent, my speciality :colondollar: I didn't get my AS paper remarked but my teacher got it back in September and we went through it together. I was micro-analysing in Section A so I couldn't get many marks and completely misunderstood the narrative gap question in blind exam panic. Hopefully this time I'll be a little closer to my B goal.

Ah yayyy I'm glad I helped.
I go on tangents too but I just had a mock back, and considering A2.. i think the easiest thing to do is just answer the Q. It sounds silly, but just keep going back to the Q.. especially make sure topic sentences are directly answering the Q, then at the end of the para say and this (blablabla) [answer Q]
haha.. it gets the marks..

Oh I got mine back.. I was not happy :/ the first person gave it 68 which was 120UMS.. then it was double marked and the 2nd put it down to 35.. which was only 74 UMS. My teacher said it happened a lot cause the examiners were overgenerous and when looking at the papers they were actually a lot lower than what was given.. but still harsh. But I did accidently do more symbolism than descriptive language hahaha...I'm aiming for an A but need 60 in this paper to get it! :frown:
Reply 85
After sitting reading through this thread its safe to say im crapping it. The exam is in 7 days and we've only covered setting imagery structure and characters on 3/4 texts all of which we haven't finished studying. I have no idea what to do to prepare for the exam im doing Dubliners, The road, rime of the ancient mariner and browing poems if anyone could give me so idea's i would be so grateful cause right now i don't think have a hope in hells of passing this exam :'(
Reply 86
Original post by lucyburns
After sitting reading through this thread its safe to say im crapping it. The exam is in 7 days and we've only covered setting imagery structure and characters on 3/4 texts all of which we haven't finished studying. I have no idea what to do to prepare for the exam im doing Dubliners, The road, rime of the ancient mariner and browing poems if anyone could give me so idea's i would be so grateful cause right now i don't think have a hope in hells of passing this exam :'(

Ooooh... A fellow The Road studier; I hate how almost no one else seems to be doing it.... there's so little revision material/ study support available... Definitely leaving it for the section B question!
Does anybody know what the named Hardy poem was in January 2012, in Section A?
Reply 88
Original post by Flyteryder
Does anybody know what the named Hardy poem was in January 2012, in Section A?

The Voice was part A, and the theme of disappointed love was part B
:afraid: I'm doing Great Gatsby, Mariner and Auden poetry too but Kite Runner as my other novel. Panicking because I really don't think I know them well enough and I can never make my essays fluent enough in exams. Only consolation is a good coursework mark so should hopefully help if things go wrong :yep:

also I'm not doing Great Gatsby in section A... I don't know Roman Numerals and knowing me I'd count wrong and end up writing about the wrong chapter. Very almost happened in my mock and just not a risk I'm prepared to take :sadnod:

... :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AbsolutePotOfKurry
Ah yayyy I'm glad I helped.
I go on tangents too but I just had a mock back, and considering A2.. i think the easiest thing to do is just answer the Q. It sounds silly, but just keep going back to the Q.. especially make sure topic sentences are directly answering the Q, then at the end of the para say and this (blablabla) [answer Q]
haha.. it gets the marks..

Oh I got mine back.. I was not happy :/ the first person gave it 68 which was 120UMS.. then it was double marked and the 2nd put it down to 35.. which was only 74 UMS. My teacher said it happened a lot cause the examiners were overgenerous and when looking at the papers they were actually a lot lower than what was given.. but still harsh. But I did accidently do more symbolism than descriptive language hahaha...I'm aiming for an A but need 60 in this paper to get it! :frown:

If it makes you feel better I got lower than 35 and I came out of that exam feeling like owned that paper :colondollar:

I think I will stick with your advice of making points explicit to the examiner. I was just going to ask seeing as you know symbolism pretty well, if it came up in June what would you put down for T.K.R?

My friend and I were discussing it over lunch and we were thinking of the symbolic significance of the kite, the symbolism of Baba being depicted as a bear etc. Are these on the right lines? Sorry to pester you again just worried for Wednesday :s-smilie:
also - in section B, I know making links between the texts shouldn't be the focus of the question, but if I find a link that doesn't relate to the question (and literally can't find any others that do relate) is it still worth writing? Even if the point I'm going to make about the text after giving the link does relate to the question?
Reply 92
Original post by ktlaurenroe
:afraid: I'm doing Great Gatsby, Mariner and Auden poetry too but Kite Runner as my other novel. Panicking because I really don't think I know them well enough and I can never make my essays fluent enough in exams. Only consolation is a good coursework mark so should hopefully help if things go wrong :yep:

also I'm not doing Great Gatsby in section A... I don't know Roman Numerals and knowing me I'd count wrong and end up writing about the wrong chapter. Very almost happened in my mock and just not a risk I'm prepared to take :sadnod:

... :colondollar:

I'm doing Gatsby and Auden too :biggrin: want to share notes etc?
Reply 93
Has anyone got any ideas of what can possibly come up in section B? I've been looking at past papers and stuff and I've realised they can be very broad. My teacher and I came up with a small list of things that may be asked:
-foreshadowing
-contrasts and parallels
-narrative time
-tone of voice of speaker
-symbolism or motifs
-beginning of narrative texts
-journeys
-settings (not places)
Anyone got any other ideas to add to this list? It will make it easier for revision!
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone have any decent Birdsong quotes? We were never taught it, and we never read the book in class so we never got any notes.
Original post by pennyy
I'm doing Gatsby and Auden too :biggrin: want to share notes etc?

Sure :h: I actually haven't typed any notes up or anything yet but I'm planning to at the weekend so I could send you some then?
Reply 96
Sure :h: I actually haven't typed any notes up or anything yet but I'm planning to at the weekend so I could send you some then?

Perfect, thank you so much :biggrin: I'm currently trying to write an essay for how is the story told in chapter 2, any ideas what to put for language? I have a couple of band 6 essays for other chapters if you want them :smile:
Original post by pennyy
Perfect, thank you so much :biggrin: I'm currently trying to write an essay for how is the story told in chapter 2, any ideas what to put for language? I have a couple of band 6 essays for other chapters if you want them :smile:

I have a few things that may help? :h:

Spoiler

Hope those helped! And that'd be awesome, thank you if you can :ahee:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
Hi guys,
I'm doing this exam on 'The Great Gatsby', 'The Kite Runner' and poetry from Auden and Hardy.
I'm feeling fairly confident on Gatsby, but struggling on how/what to revise for the poetry?!
Anybody have any ideas?!
Reply 99
I have a few things that may help? :h:

Spoiler

Hope those helped! And that'd be awesome, thank you if you can :ahee:

thank you so much! I've attached one I did for Chapter 3 :smile: could I possibly ask you for help on Auden's poetry? I'm lost, and have barely any notes for O where are you going, if I could tell you, and O what is that sound!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending