The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Can guests stay overnight at RHUL?

This is really bugging me, because i keep reading that overnight guests are not permitted, whcih is a shame as my boyfriend would lives 3 hours away and i dont want him paying for accomodation. Is this true ? as it reli made me sad lol :frown:
any info be great!

:smile::smile:
Who would find out? I had my American friend sleep on my floor at Brunel for 3 weeks and no-one ever found out. They had the same rule.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
I know just kinda annoying haha :smile: but thanks :biggrin: x
Reply 3
I'm at RHUL. In every accomodation but founders you're given a swipe card, looks like a credit card. You swipe this to get into the building and your room. There is no reception or anything. I'll take photos in a minute for you. You literally swipe the card and as many people as you like can come through the door. Then swipe into your bedroom and they stay. If the fire alarm goes off you all go outside and wait, there's no register or anything. Once the fires sorted you walk back in - again uncounted.

My flatmate has a boyfriend who lives in accomodation quite far away, he has stayed here every single night since the start of term. I have also had 3 people stay for a full week once. Nobody notices or cares. They just say no guests for insurance purposes. Don't worry!!!

In founders security watch you enter the building but people swipe 20 people for a 'room party' and security just watch through a glass screen. Do they care - no!

It's 100% relaxed. TBH it couldn't be more relaxed. Nobody gives a monkeys! Have 20 people sleeping in your room nobody will say anything!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
aww thanks im alot happier now! :biggrin: x
Reply 5
What's been said above. My (female) flatmates always have their boyfriends around, and I've had some friends stay over before. It's fine.
Reply 6
Confirming all again. My housemate's boyfriend lived in founders all year-and he had a house elsewhere in Egham. Not once did he get caught. If it's a week where there's a room inspection just make sure you hide any blow up beds and you're up and dressed before they come in and you'll be fine. They advertise the inspections well in advance though so you shouldn't have any problems.
Reply 7
A friend of mine had her boyfriend over when the inspectors came round. They knocked on her door whilst she and her boyfriend were having sex- when she heard the inspector say, "room inspection!" she thought it was a joke and just carried on! When they knocked again she realised that this wasn't the case, haha.

Anyway, the inspector came into her room, with my friend wearing just a towel and her boyfriend partially hidden under the covers, and left one of the 'your room is satisfactory' slips with her, and that was that. Not sure if she actually saw my friend's boyfriend (the curtains were drawn so it was dark in the room) but hey, she clearly didn't care if she did. When my friend told us all this, we couldn't believe it!
Reply 8
Original post by llacerta
A friend of mine had her boyfriend over when the inspectors came round. They knocked on her door whilst she and her boyfriend were having sex- when she heard the inspector say, "room inspection!" she thought it was a joke and just carried on! When they knocked again she realised that this wasn't the case, haha.

Anyway, the inspector came into her room, with my friend wearing just a towel and her boyfriend partially hidden under the covers, and left one of the 'your room is satisfactory' slips with her, and that was that. Not sure if she actually saw my friend's boyfriend (the curtains were drawn so it was dark in the room) but hey, she clearly didn't care if she did. When my friend told us all this, we couldn't believe it!

My flatmate's boyfriend was there for one inspection, housekeeping just took a quick look around and left.
Reply 9
if you apply for founders, will your boyfriend be able to use the bathroom/shower facilities since its single sex and obviously he's a boy?
Reply 10
Original post by akneedshelp
if you apply for founders, will your boyfriend be able to use the bathroom/shower facilities since its single sex and obviously he's a boy?

Founders isn't just for women - there are men staying in it too. Your boyfriend can walk up/down a floor(s) to where the male facilities are.
Reply 11
I lived in Wedderburn last year and my boyfriend stayed at least 3 times a week I would have thought. He was there once during the inspection but the inspector didn't say anything, they give you a boring lecture during the first week about how you risk getting kicked out of halls if you're caught with overnight guests but in my flat of 8 there was atleast 12 people staying at all times. Don't stress about it!
Reply 12
Original post by akneedshelp

As has been said, he can just walk to a mens' floor.

The only issue might be that only Founder's residents are allowed in the building after a certain time (11PM, I think). If you're both already inside at that time then there's no problem, but the one time I tried to go inside Founder's after that time Security was checking the College cards of every single person who tried to get inside. If your card didn't validate as a residents' card, then they wouldn't let you in even if you were with a resident.
Just be careful that if you're in Reid you don't pull out the bed and leave it there for housekeeping to find, they don't like that!
Original post by lareneg
As has been said, he can just walk to a mens' floor.

The only issue might be that only Founder's residents are allowed in the building after a certain time (11PM, I think). If you're both already inside at that time then there's no problem, but the one time I tried to go inside Founder's after that time Security was checking the College cards of every single person who tried to get inside. If your card didn't validate as a residents' card, then they wouldn't let you in even if you were with a resident.

I never saw them do that, whenever I was there after 11 so long as you were with a resident who was using their card to get in they seemed happy enough with any number of people entering at the same time.

Quick Reply