The Student Room Group

Decision About Postgrad Study... Any Advice?

Hello all,

I had an offer from the University of Sheffield to study a full time Management (MSc) masters program in September 2012, providing I receive a 2:1 on my current undergraduate course.

After deliberating about my decision for three months, I eventually decided to decline the offer. Coming to the end of my final year at University, I felt that I was bored with education, and that I just wanted some time away from essays and exams, and that it was always something I could do in the future. Some aspects of the course seemed boring too, but I figured it would only be for a year. I was a little worried too about the course, as the majority of the applicants are international, so I was concerned that I may feel left out at points, as I'm quite a shy individual.

The other day, I was thinking about my decision to decline the offer, and I was wondering if it was the wrong thing to do. So much so, that I e-mailed them, and asked if I was able to change my offer from declined to accepted. They said it would be possible, but I'd have to be 100% sure that this was my final decision.

The thing is, I really have no idea what to do. On one hand, I'd like to do my masters, get it over and done with, and have another qualification to my name, and feel that I'd really achieved something with all the hard work that I would be putting in... but on the other hand, it would be nice not to go into education again in September, and find a job or perhaps go travelling, but then I don't know if I'd be motivated enough to go back into education.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to do, or what they think I should do from what I've said. I really feel like I'm at a crossroads, but have no idea where I'm heading. I don't know if it's just because I feel like I'm a bit in limbo at the minute, and that heading back into education feels the right thing to do... but if I want to spend time working and travelling... who knows when I'll get to do the opportunity or have the money to do it again, or even want to go back to education again.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks!
Reply 1
My 2c worth is that it sounds like this course is something you think you should do, rather than something you really want to do. Plenty of people go back to studying after taking a gap year travelling and working (i did :smile: ). Personally, I'd suggest you take some time out to decide what it is you really want to do. You may decide to do it, or you may discover another master's and/or another uni would suit you better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey,

first of all I am a physicist and am not quite sure about the job market in economics (Management prospects) but I think you should definitely go for the Masters program. :smile:
I mean it´s one year. That´s not a long time at all and you will have better job prospects with that degree. I am quite sure about that!!!
I mean traveling is fine! That´s why I attended a summer school in China for two month in the university´s holiday period in my country and applied to study in the UK for my PhD.
Maybe you could ask the director of the Masters or your proposed supervisor if there is a possibility to do some kind of internships abroad during your Masters or maybe there are some interesting partner institutions which you could consider to join for your dissertation. Maybe you can do your Masters dissertation in cooperation with a future employer....
Anyway, if I were in your shoes I would definitely go for that degree :wink:

You can always take a year off after the Master´s and go for some internships abroad or something like that. That´s also something you can put on your CV afterwards.

Maybe a good alternative is to do your whole Masters somewhere abroad.
Have you already considered that?

A friend of mine was in the same situation and quit studying after his Bachelor. He was quite unhappy with working and returned to University after two years. He found it very hard to go on with the education after the "study-gap".

At the end of the day it´s your decision and I think you should decide what´s best for you and what feels right for you. You should be happy with your career path. That´s the most important thing.

Cheers

Original post by DamMac
Hello all,

I had an offer from the University of Sheffield to study a full time Management (MSc) masters program in September 2012, providing I receive a 2:1 on my current undergraduate course.

After deliberating about my decision for three months, I eventually decided to decline the offer. Coming to the end of my final year at University, I felt that I was bored with education, and that I just wanted some time away from essays and exams, and that it was always something I could do in the future. Some aspects of the course seemed boring too, but I figured it would only be for a year. I was a little worried too about the course, as the majority of the applicants are international, so I was concerned that I may feel left out at points, as I'm quite a shy individual.

The other day, I was thinking about my decision to decline the offer, and I was wondering if it was the wrong thing to do. So much so, that I e-mailed them, and asked if I was able to change my offer from declined to accepted. They said it would be possible, but I'd have to be 100% sure that this was my final decision.

The thing is, I really have no idea what to do. On one hand, I'd like to do my masters, get it over and done with, and have another qualification to my name, and feel that I'd really achieved something with all the hard work that I would be putting in... but on the other hand, it would be nice not to go into education again in September, and find a job or perhaps go travelling, but then I don't know if I'd be motivated enough to go back into education.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to do, or what they think I should do from what I've said. I really feel like I'm at a crossroads, but have no idea where I'm heading. I don't know if it's just because I feel like I'm a bit in limbo at the minute, and that heading back into education feels the right thing to do... but if I want to spend time working and travelling... who knows when I'll get to do the opportunity or have the money to do it again, or even want to go back to education again.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
it's hard to advise without knowing what your first degree is and what your medium/long term goals are

personally i wouldn't bother with msc management directly after undergraduate education. if you are interested in management get some business experience on a grad scheme or, if you are numerate, do acca. then do an mba once you have actual relevant business experience and know you enjoy it.

my personal view is that most msc finance/management courses are designed by universities to get in high fee paying overseas students who want a uk uni on their cv. but if you have a random undergrad degree and want to demonstrate some interest in business to potential employers it might help with that.
Reply 4
I just wanted to say that the longer you leave it, the harder it is to go back. Once you get into full time work, it becomes really tough to justify giving up your salary and security. You also lose confidence. I'm not saying go straight back in. But after ten years, say, it's very hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending