The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are the following a 'good choice' to get into IB (perhaps technology/analyst or whatever the most mathematically heavy division is);

Mathematics and Physics MSci Warwick
Physics MSci Warwick
Mathematics and Physics MSci Durham
Mathematical Physics MSci Nottingham
Natural Science MSci Cambridge

Would they all be suitable for IB? I realise Cambridge/Warwick are slightly in front of Nottingham/Durham, but do the latter still remain competitive? Or are they a dead-loss, at which I will end up in accountancy :frown: ....
Original post by Doobzz
Medicine ?

Yes, but why?
Original post by TomasK
Surely 6/8 weeks in FO at 2nd tier.

On second thoughts..I don't even think it's 2nd tier, maybe 3rd?

Original post by Sagacious
Are the following a 'good choice' to get into IB (perhaps technology/analyst or whatever the most mathematically heavy division is);

Physics MSci Warwick

Would they all be suitable for IB? I realise Cambridge/Warwick are slightly in front of Nottingham/Durham, but do the latter still remain competitive? Or are they a dead-loss, at which I will end up in accountancy :frown: ....

Technology is back office and not very mathematically orientated(had an interview for a Tech role), so I wouldn't be 'aiming' for there. Why don't you apply for Imperial or UCL, if you're already intent on getting into IB?. Cambridge/Warwick/Durham seem to be the better choices, might be harder from Nottingham.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Technology is back office and not very mathematically orientated(had an interview for a Tech role), so I wouldn't be 'aiming' for there. Why don't you apply for Imperial or UCL, if you're already intent on getting into IB?. Cambridge/Warwick/Durham seem to be the better choices, might be harder from Nottingham.

I would prefer to stay outside of London whilst at university.

Also, UCL demand an A*A*A. I would rather go Warwick (A*AA).

I'm unsure on whether Imperial actually offer the Mathematics and Physics course...

I feel for IB, Mathematics and Physics would be a good option because it would allow me to take mathematics modules that may be of use for IB, yet I don't have to spend as much time on all the useless (yet interesting) proofs that aren't useful for IB. Instead, I can apply some maths to Physics and increase my computer/research skills.

Would I be right in thinking like this?

PS: Would a masters in Maths and Physics suffice for a Quantitative Analyst role? It looks really interesting (and a lot of maths!). Or would I require a PhD? Do you know much about quants and how long it takes to gain the experience required to be able to become one?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sagacious

Physics MSci Warwick

In relation to quant positions, the most complex mathematical positions require a PHD in maths minimum, so if you want to be in very complex mathematical positions (within the quant analyst and structuring divisions) then you will need a PHD in maths. From here the level of maths needed drops - ie: you get other positions in the quant and structuring divisions where you can get by with an MSc, or even a BSc in maths etc. So you need to think what level of maths you actually want. If we drop down the level of maths again, then you get some positions in trading where you really need a maths background; of course, trading, quant analyst, and structuring roles have various differences between them, so think about those differences instead of just the level of maths. Generally though, if you go very heavy on maths, some positions are VERY heavy on maths; the three divisions i mentioned (quant analyst, structuring, some trading positions) are the most mathematical etc.

In terms of universities, Cambridge and Warwick are obviously the better two. Warwick maths and physics may be more mathematical than NatSci at Cambridge depending on the courses you take within the degree. So Warwick may be better if you're set on pretty mathematically heavy positions. Durham is getting better these days and could be a target in a few years, so I would go there over Nottingham, if you don't really mind which you go to - if you prefer Nottingham then go there though.
For anyone in the know, in terms of pre-university internships/work exp what would look better on the CV out of the following.. 3 weeks at DB in a BO role or 6/8 weeks in FO at a second tier bank.

Depends on which second tier it is, but generally it's much better to have front office experience (if that's the division you want to be in long-term) than middle office.
Original post by crbprice
Would a BA in geography (focussing more on human geogaphy) from King College London.. Be a degree that could get me a job in the city - banking/finance/stockbroking

Yes. You would struggle a bit if applying to very competitive positions - IBD, S&T etc. Still achievable though if you're completely set on it.
For anyone in the know, in terms of pre-university internships/work exp what would look better on the CV out of the following.. 3 weeks at DB in a BO role or 6/8 weeks in FO at a second tier bank.

surely FO as you'll actually be learning about FO roles? And its pre uni anyway?
Original post by funkydee
surely FO as you'll actually be learning about FO roles? And its pre uni anyway?

Seems like that's the consensus. In hindsight it was a bit of a silly question. Just sceptical, because it's at Mitsubishi Securities, which I didn't even know had an IB division until a few weeks back.. Just wondering if 3 weeks at DB would make it easier if I were to apply for a SW there next year or one of the other BBs..Basically question of whether DB's brand value would help more, considering that Mitsubishi may not really be known for IB..
Seems like that's the consensus. In hindsight it was a bit of a silly question. Just sceptical, because it's at Mitsubishi Securities, which I didn't even know had an IB division until a few weeks back.. Just wondering if 3 weeks at DB would make it easier if I were to apply for a SW there next year or one of the other BBs..Basically question of whether DB's brand value would help more, considering that Mitsubishi may not really be known for IB..

Mitsubishi is well known. Always remember that it's the banks and not the general public who are doing the hiring. Within banking Mitsubishi is known.

Connections at the big banks might get you a spring week, but then you'll find it harder to pull a summer internship and graduate job, unless you're very good - and even then, you may get stuck in MO. I would stick with Mitsubishi if you want FO.
As has been added above Mitsubishi is well known by anyone that's involved in finance and whether or not it is by others is largely irrelevant. I'd go for FO if thats where you want to be.
Reply 8591
Does anyone know what the general opinion is for Economics and Finance from University of Exeter within finance?
Reply 8592
MSc International Healtlh Management, Imperial

Vs.

MSc Financial Management, Durhaam Uni

For a banking or finance career
I've never been obsessed with IB but I like to keep my options open. I'm applying for university this october for geography. In terms of unis, are these good choices, do you think? Bear in mind some unis dont offer geography (such as Warwick). Which ones do you think are the better ones? (I know I don't have the best subject):

Cambridge (BA)
Durham (BA)
Bristol (MSci)
Nottingham (BA)
LSE (BA)

Also, is the prospect even realistic or should I forget it? I'm not expecting FO btw, I'd be happy with anything.

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8594
Original post by Bulbasaur
I've never been obsessed with IB but I like to keep my options open. I'm applying for university this october for geography. In terms of unis, are these good choices, do you think? Bear in mind some unis dont offer geography (such as Warwick). Which ones do you think are the better ones? (I know I don't have the best subject):

Cambridge (BA)
Durham (BA)
Bristol (MSci)
Nottingham (BA)
LSE (BA)

Also, is the prospect even realistic or should I forget it?

Thanks.

I hear Cambridge is quite alright, could do worse.
Reply 8595
Hey guys my careers centre was of little help on this issue, hoping for some input from you guys please! My goal is management/strategy consultancy (preferably strategy). I know its extremely competitive. Would the following degrees be suitable to get into the top 4 consultancies?

MPhil Environmental Economics and Law (Uni. Cambridge)
BA (Hons) International Business (Ex-poly mid-table uni) (got 1st class honours and finished #1 with a 79% average)

Do I stand a realistic chance? :s-smilie: Any help appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Akkuz
Hey guys my careers centre was of little help on this issue, hoping for some input from you guys please! My goal is management/strategy consultancy (preferably strategy). I know its extremely competitive. Would the following degrees be suitable to get into the top 4 consultancies?

MPhil Environmental Economics and Law (Uni. Cambridge)
BA (Hons) International Business (Ex-poly mid-table uni) (got 1st class honours and finished #1 with a 79% average)

Do I stand a realistic chance? :s-smilie: Any help appreciated.

Ask them directly when you get to Cambridge. MB and B will visit within the first few weeks of Michaelmas term. Make sure you prioritise getting the schedule from the Careers Centre at Stuart House, because McKinsey in particular often visit in the first one or two weeks of term, with application deadlines at the end of Oct iirc. but there will be several opportunities in the term to meet them, you need to take them all up. I suspect with that academic profile they will want to see something else that sets you out, entrepreneurial activity, fluency in a useful language etc, but ask them directly.
Reply 8597
Original post by threeportdrift
Ask them directly when you get to Cambridge. MB and B will visit within the first few weeks of Michaelmas term. Make sure you prioritise getting the schedule from the Careers Centre at Stuart House, because McKinsey in particular often visit in the first one or two weeks of term, with application deadlines at the end of Oct iirc. but there will be several opportunities in the term to meet them, you need to take them all up. I suspect with that academic profile they will want to see something else that sets you out, entrepreneurial activity, fluency in a useful language etc, but ask them directly.

Thanks, I will definitely do that! I do have some work exp. at a reputable firm and fluency in another language so I hope that'll help. I do understand that the top 4 are ridiculously competitive. If I can't squeeze into the top 4 then I'll look at some other top/mid-tier consultancies.

Went to Cambridge today for the first time..blown away!
Reply 8598
I'm going to apply for Economics next year, and I was wondering what you guys would say would be the best uni for that after Oxford, LSE, UCL and Warwick? (Other than Cambridge, which I'm not even going to try for)
Original post by Mtice
I'm going to apply for Economics next year, and I was wondering what you guys would say would be the best uni for that after Oxford, LSE, UCL and Warwick? (Other than Cambridge, which I'm not even going to try for)

Nottingham
Bristol
Durham

Latest