The Student Room Group

Law Vs. Philosophy

This poll is closed

What is a better A level?

Law 33%
Philosophy67%
Total votes: 15
Which one is better for a degree in law??
Reply 1
Didn't do either. Personally I'd take law. Why? Because a lot of the content overlaps with degree content. This a) makes it easier, meaning you get potentially better grades at degree level as you spend less time learning, more time doing further reading, b) means you can focus on how the university system works, i.e. the way questions are asked in exams, rather than just the content which will help you the whole way through, c) the university year is about 6 months, the school year is much longer - two years spent doing an A-level gives you a long time to get to grips with law, d) you'll have an idea whether law is right for you to take to degree level.
They're both utter rubbish. Take a proper A Level.
Reply 3
Don't take law at A level. I am in exactly the same position as you and I've spoken to a couple of sixth form colleges about this. Universities consider Law to be a soft subject at A level, whereas they regard Philosophy at the same level as things like English Lit and History. Be aware though, Philosophy is bloody difficult and if you don't enjoy thinking through logic problems, debating and writing arguments then it'll be hell for you. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 4
Personally, I haven't done A level law, so I'll just paraphrase what my criminal law tutor says about it - "In A level law, you spend 1 year doing something which we do in 1 week"

So yeah, pretty much a useless subject, but it's a perfectly acceptable 3rd A level if you apply to a law degree.
Reply 5
Original post by mwells1996
Don't take law at A level. I am in exactly the same position as you and I've spoken to a couple of sixth form colleges about this. Universities consider Law to be a soft subject at A level, whereas they regard Philosophy at the same level as things like English Lit and History. Be aware though, Philosophy is bloody difficult and if you don't enjoy thinking through logic problems, debating and writing arguments then it'll be hell for you. Hope this helped :smile:

If the OP doesn't enjoy that, then he shouldn't be thinking about doing a law degree!
Reply 6
For A-level?

Philosophy hands down

Quick Reply

Latest