The Student Room Group

Double First/Triple Starred first

Do any of you know anyone that's got such a degree?
How can you get yourself in a position to be studying for 2 degrees? Is it extremely rare for people to do 2 degrees simultaneously or for any anyone to get a triple starred first? Is anyone on course for a trippled starred first (be honest)?

I have nothing else to do at the moment other then ask stupid questions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't you get these at Cambridge just by changing Tripos??
Reply 2
I always thought a double first meant getting a first in Part 1 and Part 2 of the Tripos...
It's a starred first in both parts of the tripos, not two separate subjects, though of course if you change Tripos then it's two separate subjects. My supervisor has one. A triple starred first doesn't exist - unless your subject has a part III, like Maths, I think...I could be wrong though
Reply 4
Hahahah, oh god, it's funny because I'm doomed. Maybe I'll get a starred 3rd...
Reply 5
It says otherwise in this wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification
under the first class honours bit

Maybe its inaccurate
Reply 6
Epicurus
It says otherwise in this wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification
under the first class honours bit

Maybe its inaccurate

Uh... from the wikipedia page you linked:

A "Double First" can refer to first class honours in two separate subjects, e.g. Classics and Mathematics, or alternatively to first class honours in the same subject in subsequent examinations, e.g. subsequent Parts of the Tripos at the University of Cambridge.

Emphasis mine.
Reply 7
To be fair i was referring to the former comment rather than the latter which you have highlighted.
xx_ambellina_xx
A triple starred first doesn't exist - unless your subject has a part III, like Maths, I think...I could be wrong though
You don't get 1st, 2nd etc in PArt III maths, it's fail, pass, merit, distinction, so a triple stared first isn't possible for maths.

I know a few people who got in the top 10 every year, there is usually a bunch in every year for almost every subject.
AlphaNumeric
You don't get 1st, 2nd etc in PArt III maths, it's fail, pass, merit, distinction, so a triple stared first isn't possible for maths.

I know a few people who got in the top 10 every year, there is usually a bunch in every year for almost every subject.

I thought so, but it was the only subject I could think of with a part III. My mistake!
Reply 10
I don't believe a 'triple first/starred first' exists, although technicaly I suppose it is possible. As far as cambridge is concerned, a double first does, as people have said, refer to a first in parts I and II of the tripos. While there is not generally accepted to be such a thing as a triple first/starred first, because the sciences and maths have a part III it's certainly is possible to get something which it would make sense to call a triple first. Off the top of my head I can only think of one person that has, but there's probably others - one of the former chairs of the CSLD, currently studying for a PhD got a starred first every year for physics. Though as he modestly explained to me "the good thing about science subjects, as opposed to humanities is that if you answer every question correctly they can't not give you a starred first".

AlphaNumeric

Oh dear. Yes, that might be the case for Natsci. Though to be best of my knowledge Physics (and Chemistry?)'s fourth year is a part III (otherwise you would be able to do the trick of refusing your BA and thus remain an undergraduate student).
Reply 11
Maybe you could say you got a tripple starred first if your subject has 1a, 1b and 2, or 1 2a and 2b, and you got starred firsts in all parts.

Or maybe if your subject had part 1 and part 2a and 2b, but you transfered to another subject after 2a which also had a 1 year part 2 (or even a 2 year part 2 would work), and you got starred firsts in all bits. This way you'd have starred firsts in part 1 and 2 of one subject, and a starred first in part 2 of a totally different subject.

Does anyone know if you get a first in part 1 and a 2.1 in part 2, can you still say you officially got a first in your degree?

Oh yeah, and technically, you could get a tripple starred first if you did your normal degree and got starred firsts in both parts, then delayed graduation so you could do part 2 in management, and got a starred first in management...when you graduate, you'd have done 3 full and separate parts, and have achived starred firsts in them all.
Reply 12
Troy :0)
Maybe you could say you got a tripple starred first if your subject has 1a, 1b and 2, or 1 2a and 2b, and you got starred firsts in all parts.

No. This happens often (as you'd imagine - as nearly all courses have de re three parts) and in both cases what you have there is a double starred first, because it is a starred first for part I and a starred first for part II. I have the feeling that technically a first for both part IIa and IIb is not a double first, but as the terms are (to my knowledge) not official, and it's a hell of an achievement, it's not for me to tell them what they can and cannot call their result.

Or maybe if your subject had part 1 and part 2a and 2b, but you transfered to another subject after 2a which also had a 1 year part 2 (or even a 2 year part 2 would work), and you got starred firsts in all bits. This way you'd have starred firsts in part 1 and 2 of one subject, and a starred first in part 2 of a totally different subject.

Does anyone know if you get a first in part 1 and a 2.1 in part 2, can you still say you officially got a first in your degree?

You could say it, but it wouldn't be correct. The only real grade you get is that which you recieve for the final year of your part II (II, IIb or in some rare cases of refus de sejour IIa) though there is a long tradition in Cambridge (and possibly in the other place, I don't know) of calling your grade a double-first if you recieved a first for your final year of part I (I or Ib). If you get a 2.1 in part II/IIb, then you got a 2.1, regardless of what you got in first year (though I'm not aware of laws relating to ambiguity in CVs so there is nothing to stop you saying you 'got a first from Cambridge', so long as you do not state that your degree was a 1st class degress as, technically, it wasn't.

Oh yeah, and technically, you could get a tripple starred first if you did your normal degree and got starred firsts in both parts, then delayed graduation so you could do part 2 in management, and got a starred first in management...when you graduate, you'd have done 3 full and separate parts, and have achived starred firsts in them all.

Hmmmm.... I'd be tempted to say that what you had there was a double starred first and a seperate starred first, but it's (pardon the pun) largely an academic matter as the nomenclature is unofficial, however systematic.

Let us lay it out at as a couple of tables. To simply matters, 2.1s and 2.2s etc are simply rendered '2'.

I II
2 2 - 2nd
1 2 - 2nd
2 1 - 1st
1 1 - Double 1st

Ia Ib II
2 2 2 - 2nd
1 2 2 - 2nd
2 1 2 - 2nd
1 1 2 - 2nd
2 2 1 - 1st
1 2 1 - 1st (though some might call it a double 1st, as there was 'a' first in part 1).
2 1 1 - Double 1st.
1 1 1 - Double 1st.

I IIa IIb
2 2 X*- 2nd
2 2 2 - 2nd
1 2 2 - 2nd
2 1 2 - 2nd
1 1 2 - 2nd
2 1 X - 1st
2 2 1 - 1st
2 1 1 - 1st / Double 1st (depending on your definition - see discussion above. I would say technically not, but if anyone wants to call it a double 1st they've earned the right to do so).
1 2 1 - Double 1st
1 1 1 - Double 1st

I believe this exhausts the interesting combinations. Notice that support is given for the idea that Ia 1st, Ib 2nd, II 1st does not equal a double first by the fact (which I suspect would be generally agreed) that a 1st at IIa does not make a 1st overall. This is conducted in complete ignorance of the ins and outs of specific tripos, and it may indeed turn out that for some subjects IIb is simple a thesis year and that a 1st from IIa very much does make a 1st overall.

*(Here X denotes an exam not taken - though it might be controversial as some might say that doesn't count as a full part II. I include it for the record as it is not unheard of for people in a I, IIa IIb tripos to not sit the IIb though in the only case I know of the individual had transfered from a Ia Ib II tripos for part II and as such had completed three years).
Reply 13
Duncan, have you finished your exams by any chance?:p:
Hmm, I was thinking a similar thing...

I also know someone who's on course for a double starred first in History. Pretty much a genius...
Reply 15
When I came to Cambridge my aim in life was to get a Double First. Now my aim in life is to someday be a Mod on TSR. How things change...
Reply 16
What, like changing from a "nerd" to a "geek"? :biggrin:

I'm at the nerd stage, and hopefully wont progress further:p:
FadeToBlackout
Hmm, I was thinking a similar thing...

I also know someone who's on course for a double starred first in History. Pretty much a genius...

I can only think of two people who have done that - Orlando Figes and Quentin Skinner.
Reply 18
Yes JsMill your thinking is identical to that of the wikipedia article which also states that Neal Ascherson was the only person to get a triple starred first. Although from this forum, it is evident that getting a triple starred first is not possible.
Reply 19
If a triple starred first is impossible, then I'm about as likely to get that as I am to get a double-starred first, or a double first for that matter. :biggrin:

Latest