The Student Room Group

Help! Fsh, Lh And Oestrogen!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone!

I am a little bit confused about FSH, LH and Oestrogen. The Biology B AQA syllabus has the following information about them:-

FSH causes the ripening of the egg and is released by the pituitary gland. It also stimulates oestrogen production.
LH is also produced by the pituitary gland and it causes the egg to be released at about the middle of the menstrual cycle.
Oestrogen is produced in the ovaries and stimulates the pituitary gland to produce more LH. It also inhibits the further production of FSH.

The bits in bold are the bits that I am stuck on. I don't quite understand how it works. if FSH stimulates oestrogen production and oestrogen inhibits further FSH production, in a way they contradict each other. FSH causes oestrogen to be released but oestrogen stops FSH from being released.

Please help!
Many Thanks.
Reply 1
Yep. Thats right.

FOLP, stands for Fsh which stimulates Oestrogen which stimulates LH which stimulates Progesterone.

Oestrogen inhibits FSH, and Progesterone inhibits FSH and LH. Do you have an AQA summary revision book. It explains it well in there.
Reply 2
Basically, it doesn't happen at the same time. FSH is produced which then stimulates oestrogen production. Oestrogen is produced, which then inhibits further production FSH. Sort of cause and effect.
Reply 3
It's classic negative feedback. If oestrogen didn't inhibit fsh, you would get continual production of fsh and oestrogen

Latest