The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year

Just wondering what people who applied for medicine did during their gap year if they took one. (Sorry if this has already being posted)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied deferred, going to do a year of volunteering and studying and ambulance work in Israel

there is already a thread on this from a few days ago http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=525858
Reply 2
Am on a gap year, UCL 08 i worked untill i got a place at med school, and just booked flights to go backpacking for 4 months. I hated the idea of a gap year, but it has been amazing. all my friends who went uni are jelous... i think
Seconded. I really didnt want to take one, and now am delighted - tis the best thing ever! Going travelling for a few months aswell soon so is all fun! Oh i worked till i got my offer too (UCL aswell ironically).

Where you going duckin?
Reply 4
DO you think taking a Pre-med gap year would help your application?
Because i would love a year of Vulenteering
It may well help with the application, but i think you should really want to do a gap year (i had to cos i got all rejections). It will help you more as a person (really sorry about how reader's digest that is) than your application. Besides you most probably wont have time to take a gap year once you have qualified, and so pre-med is the best time! If you make most of it, it is awesome..

Vulenteering sounds like a laugh.
Reply 6
Vulenteering sounds like a laugh.

in a good or bad way?

Also, i do want to take a gap year, but im curious to know that if i dont get into oxbridge, would a whole years of work expirience change their decision?

and also is it easy to apply for a gap year?
I always wanted to do a gap year and i certainly don't regret my decision. I'm yet another going to UCL in September.

Most unis look 'favourably' on people taking a gap year and say that people who take them tend to compare well to school leavers. It does give you an opportunity to get some more work experience in too, although I have heard from some people that there isn't much point in going overboard as it will (hopefully) be what you are going to do for the rest of your life. Regarding the ‘volunteer abroad in an Indian hospital’ type gap year placements, I can't see the point. Granted you would get to see more and it may be interesting to get some idea of what healthcare is like outside the context of the NHS, but you will pay a lot for the privilege. I looked into it but decided I may as well stay in England where at least I speak the language so can to talk to the patients and ask them if they want another cup of tea.

Work for at least part of the year and get precious monies for when you go to uni! I'm only going away for a month because its not only the actual expense of travelling, but also the lost income while away. Say (hypothetically) you earn £1000/ month and you spend £1000/ month on your gap year travels, over a one month holiday you would be down £2000 compared to working or £8000 for a 4 month gap year. Quite a difference, and when on a 6yr course (at london prices!) i cant justify the extra cost. I really would LOVE to go away for a long time tho.

edit
HeRaT

and also is it easy to apply for a gap year?

Just tick the 'deferred entry' box on the UCAS form.
Reply 8
davidthegreat

Just tick the 'deferred entry' box on the UCAS form.

:smile: thanks

Yes unfortunatly money dosnt grow on trees :mad:
Reply 9
if i got accepted into another course like mechanical engineering, but decided i want to do medicine, could i tick deferred entry then do the gap year of work experience and then apply to medicine, so if I don't get in i can go back to mechanical engineering, or will the medicine unis see i'm down for deferred entry and just reject me?
Original post by schooled
if i got accepted into another course like mechanical engineering, but decided i want to do medicine, could i tick deferred entry then do the gap year of work experience and then apply to medicine, so if I don't get in i can go back to mechanical engineering, or will the medicine unis see i'm down for deferred entry and just reject me?

as far as i know you can't apply for uni again if you are already holding a deferred place, you'd need to decline the deferred place and completely reapply (if that makes sense, i haven't worded that well)
Reply 11
can i cancel the deferred entry during my gap year before i apply?

by the way do you think i should apply, i mean i dont even know if its what i really want.
I havent found anything else that i really want to do..Medicine has always been in the back of my mind as an option i will seriously consider. But now i dont want to be in the situation where i take a gap year then dont get in and im out of uni for 2 years..that will be embarrasing and i will kill myself. So some advice please? [;

by the way do you think i should apply, i mean i dont even know if its what i really want.
I havent found anything else that i really want to do..Medicine has always been in the back of my mind as an option i will seriously consider. But now i dont want to be in the situation where i take a gap year then dont get in and im out of uni for 2 years..that will be embarrasing and i will kill myself. So some advice please? [;

do you have all the grades and stuff you'd need?
perhaps arrange some work experience first, maybe some volunteering work in a caring environment so that you can find out if that's really what you want to do?

i think you have to contact the university you have a place at to get out of doing that course, or maybe you can do it on ucas i have no idea!:dontknow:

also...its too late to apply this year for medicine, so you'd have to wait until next year, then wouldn't actually enter the course until 2013 so that would be essentially two gap years :redface:
I'm still in the hating taking one stage but I'm in a gap year working every minute of every day.
Hopefully though if I do get one getting an unconditional offer will make it alllll alright.
Reply 14
Original post by joemullally
I'm still in the hating taking one stage but I'm in a gap year working every minute of every day.
Hopefully though if I do get one getting an unconditional offer will make it alllll alright.

can i ask what you got for gcse's, alevels, and ukcat or bmat please? it would be really helpful to me
can i ask what you got for gcse's, alevels, and ukcat or bmat please? it would be really helpful to me

It's all on my profile. Click on my name it's under my about me. In one of the many spoilers.
I've also got all the ec's I did (and mentioned in my app) and which uni's I applied to for both years.
Reply 16
cheers,

one last question :biggrin:

if i get 3A's in a2 chem math physics
do you reckon i should apply to medicine for 2013 entry?
i'd have to take a gap year doing work exp
but do you think i should go for it or should i choose any course eg mechanical engineering and just stick to it?

If I were you I'd do work exp NOW as you'll need to write about it in your PS before you send off your UCAS form.
Reply 18

Hi! sorry i know this was posted agess ago but i'm in the exact same situation :s-smilie: i'm holding an offer from Imperial for Biochemistry but now i feel completely unsure of what i want and i've always wondered about medicine, i just wasn't ready to apply for it this year :/ I want to defer and take a year to think about it but i don't want to then decline it and not get in next year :s-smilie: how are things going for you now? have you decided anything for definite yet?
Reply 19
my school told me about a charity where you can go to africa and work as a GP for a medical gap year. (no degree or anything needed) google it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending