The Student Room Group

Tips on how to speak posh/good english

Any tips? How do you do it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Keep posting on this! - Its helped me I usd to tlk lyk dis baree befo i synd up buh since i hav I've been talking/typing like this =)
Reply 2
Take elocution lessons.
dhokes
Take elocution lessons.

Great minds...(shame I was too slow)
Hang about Oxford for about a week.
Reply 5
I'm sure you can take lessons on how to speak with a PR accent which is preferred if you're going to want to be a TV journalist at the BBC. (I could be wrong here, I'm fairly certain about it though).

Other than that though, practice!
Reply 6
Make sure you enunciate eg. remember that often has a t in it so say it, if it ends in -ing make sure you say it like that, don't forget the g or in some cases and a k :s-smilie:
Ain't is not a proper word. I don't care who argues, you are supposed to say isn't. (As you may have guessed I dislike how people destroy the english language simply by speaking)

Little things like that make you sound a lot better.
Watch Stephen Fry and copy him?
Watch my pastor and speak like him.
Reply 9
theseeker
Any tips? How do you do it?

Well, avoid the Black Country.
Peeple says us speeks funny, was telling our babby that t'other day.
Rounded vowels, emphasis more and don't use contracted words.
Make sure you say 'oooh' and 'ahhh' (not in an orgasmic way) before you start a sentence.

Also, pretend that you're constipated.
Don't use "weren't" and "wasn't" interchangably. 'Anything' and 'nothing', not 'owt' and 'nowt'. There is a 'd' in the middle of 'didn't, it's not 'di't', and wa'eh' is actually said 'water'. These are all the ones I inflict on people, and probably the reason two people this week have said "Oh, you're from the North!" after only one sentence.

Then again you're from London, so I don't know how many of those you actually do anyway. I think accent's a big part of it though; I'd never think of Jarvis Cocker, for example, as posh even though I can't remember ever hearing him use bad English.
Reply 13
Put a hot potato in your mouth before talking.
dhokes
Take elocution lessons.

I really thought there was a bug on my screen then!! :yep: :p:

And yeah I get alot of stick because I'm from a rough part of Essex and I do sound very common. People assume you're thick which is really annoying, I wouldn't change the way I talk though. Sod everyone else :yep:
Reply 15
do not be lazy and skip letters of words.
talk how you would write it down properly.
use big long fancy words :ninja:

obviously, i'm not really posh since my above sentence contained words with merely only 2 syllables. Ah well. :getmecoat:
Get a rich, posh man to take you under his wing and transform you from a lowly street seller to the beautiful, eloquent lady that you've always dreamed you'd be. You might have to sing, though.
Pfffft stuff the awful posh accent, speak how you would naturally :yy:
Reply 19
BrightGirl
Pfffft stuff the awful posh accent, speak how you would naturally :yy:

This. Posh accents can be so dull. I'm loving being up north.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending