The Student Room Group

TSR Horse Owners' Society Thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Aw, she sounds lovely. No I haven't, will go and have a look :smile: Yeah, I tend to feel 'safer' on the bigger ones than I do on the ponies! :lol: Not sure why..
Original post by Magic_
Hi guys :smile: I'm also new to this thread.

I have two youngsters and am looking into getting a third (older) horse.

My first youngster is rising two. He's a fully registered with the Dartmoor pony society and he's a little sweetheart! :biggrin: He can be very naughty (he got into the chicken coop the other day, how no-one knows!) but generally he has a heart of gold. He's bay with a white diamond on his nose and a white sock. Unfortunatly the white is classed as excessive (or so I've been told) so showing is out! He is going to be a ride and drive pony when he is old enough!

My second youngster is rising one. He is a registered Welsh D colt. He is bay with a white blaze and has paces to die for! He has nice high stepping action and holds his head up well. He is most definitely going to go into the show ring and hopefully will do well.

I've personally been riding for about eight years but I stopped for a while as I had an accident on a riding school horse (needless to say I've only been back at a riding school once since the accident and that was like four-five years after the accident). The horse was a grey TB (I haven't ridden a grey TB since either). Basically what happened was the instructor was getting everyone to canter up the straight and rejoin the back of the group. The horse I was riding was being a little s**t and wouldn't go into canter so said instructor decided the best thing to do was crack the whip behind her back legs. Horse went into a mad panic and bolted towards the back of the school (the school was post and rail fenced but dropped down into quite a large dip). She was going to jump but luckily at the last minute she decided not to. Horse stopped dead, I went out the side door and narrowly avoided smacking my head on the fence. Anyway I got up and was made to get back on said horse (yeah I know you're supposed to). I got back on and finished the lesson. After that lesson, I didn't ride for ages. I got my own pony (a Welsh A) and then took on a Welsh B. I rode a TB for a bit but didn't do anything above walk and trot. Welsh A was sold when I got too big for him and the B was returned to his owner.

I cantered for the first time last summer (rode other ponies in between but never cantered on them) since I had my accident on a 14hh ex polo pony. Now, I've got the bug back which is why I'm looking for something to ride alongside my youngsters :biggrin:

I also am into Natural Horsemanship. I am interested in Monty Roberts' work and have even had an RA out to one of my previous horses (Recommended Associate).

I will post pictures when I can download them!

Your Youngsters sound gorgeous!! :biggrin:
Aww no - sorri to hear about your accident :frown:
I dont have any fear whatsoever when it comes to Horses, so I'm not so good at understanding how ppl lose confidence :redface: Though I've been told I'm fairly good at restoring their confidence :biggrin:
I've been Riding since I was 4 months old (I used to lay in the Saddle of our fantastic ID Gelding :biggrin:) and have had many accidents :redface:
When I was 10 my Horse at the time (a very headstrong Gypsy Vanner 3 yr old) had an issue with headshaking. I thought He'd stopped so I bent down to check the girth and bam.... there was blood everywhere :/ I was upset because I thought I'd hurt Him, then found out it was me :redface: I spent that night and the rest of the following day with a bag of frozen peas on my nose, needless to say my nose is considerably bigger than perhaps it should've been - didnt put me off though :tongue: lol.
The very same Horse and I were doing schooling in the mud patch we had to Ride in and He tripped, somersaulted over my head. I was thrown to the ground beside Him and was out of it for a few seconds, then I could hear but couldnt see and when my sight came back all I was met with was my Horse rolling on His back in front of me - I seriously thought my time was up. Thankfully He was so brave, and though it would've been easier for Him to have rolled over and squished me, He forced Himself over, Saddle and all, and got up to check if I was ok :smile: I truly Love that Horse, He's now with a fantastic Family who've promised me They'll never sell Him :smile: I would've kept Him but I was tiny and He was huge at the time, it got to the point where my Parents couldnt Ride Him and because I was so tiny I couldnt control Him safely :redface:
I've been thrown off over Jumps and into Jumps - usually bareback :tongue:
I've fallen off for Horsies spooking, through being bucked off, have Ridden Horses who've reared so high They've almost fallen over etc etc - the Joys of Horse Riding :redface: :tongue: hehehe.
I dont tend to fall off often anymore, I seem to have learnt the ability to cling on no matter what - I always Ride ppl's problem Horses and have always done so, I Love helping the Horses understand I'm not going to hurt Them :biggrin:

Good Luck finding a new Horsey!! :biggrin: If you need a hand looking please ask!! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 62
^ Yeah, see now I'm older, I have no fear. How weird is that? I tend to just get on with it now :biggrin: I think the most embarrassing moment ever was when I was riding a Welsh A bareback and he spooked, I fell off! :lol:

I'm really hoping that my D will do well in the show ring. He should do, his dam got fourth in her first ever county show and his sire (who has now unfortunatly passed away) did pretty well from what I've seen on the internet. So fingers crossed.

I think I'm going to look for an Irish Draught or a cob type. I like the chunky monkeys :biggrin:

Have you guys seen the new POLITE range? It's great! As soon as I get a pony, I can ride, I will definitely be buying lots of the POLITE range so people can see us. I hate hacking out without floursecents(sp) because I know someone who fell off their horse whilst hacking out. Horse made it back home without the rider. It was made harder for the search and rescue team to find the rider as it was a cold, wet, windy, dark day and the rider was wearing dark clothing. When the S&R team eventually found her, they told her off for not wearing flourscents (bearing in mind the horse was covered in flourescents) because if she had been wearing something, then they would have found her quicker. Luckily it all had a happy ending but I hate it when I see riders out in the dusk (or fog) on a dark coloured horse, wearing dark coloured clothing with no flourescents!

ETA: Plus, with the POLITE range you get to look like a police officer without getting into trouble because it's been endorsed by the police. Here's the link to Equi Safety's website.

http://www.equisafety.com/cat/CatIndex.asp?d=1&s=7

It's great, isn't it? :biggrin:

Thanks, I will definitely shout if I need a hand :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Magic_
^ Yeah, see now I'm older, I have no fear. How weird is that? I tend to just get on with it now :biggrin: I think the most embarrassing moment ever was when I was riding a Welsh A bareback and he spooked, I fell off! :lol:

I'm really hoping that my D will do well in the show ring. He should do, his dam got fourth in her first ever county show and his sire (who has now unfortunatly passed away) did pretty well from what I've seen on the internet. So fingers crossed.

I think I'm going to look for an Irish Draught or a cob type. I like the chunky monkeys :biggrin:

Have you guys seen the new POLITE range? It's great! As soon as I get a pony, I can ride, I will definitely be buying lots of the POLITE range so people can see us. I hate hacking out without floursecents(sp) because I know someone who fell off their horse whilst hacking out. Horse made it back home without the rider. It was made harder for the search and rescue team to find the rider as it was a cold, wet, windy, dark day and the rider was wearing dark clothing. When the S&R team eventually found her, they told her off for not wearing flourscents (bearing in mind the horse was covered in flourescents) because if she had been wearing something, then they would have found her quicker. Luckily it all had a happy ending but I hate it when I see riders out in the dusk (or fog) on a dark coloured horse, wearing dark coloured clothing with no flourescents!

ETA: Plus, with the POLITE range you get to look like a police officer without getting into trouble because it's been endorsed by the police. Here's the link to Equi Safety's website.

http://www.equisafety.com/cat/CatIndex.asp?d=1&s=7

It's great, isn't it? :biggrin:

Thanks, I will definitely shout if I need a hand :biggrin:

Awww :tongue: hehehe. My most embarassing fall was when I was Riding the Yard Owners' little Shetland Pony, He refused to canter so someone creeped up behind us and made a 'scary noise' - He didnt like said 'scary noise' and charged off!! I rolled off His backside - I was like 12 and Riding in a Lungeing pad as they'd accidentally locked the Saddle away, and my Friends had come over to watch me Ride that day :redface: :tongue: lol!!
Your Section D sounds lush - Good Luck with the Showing!! :biggrin: My 3/4 Sec D, 1/4 Arab is really Showy, I'm hoping He'll like doing Showing though that'll be the start of His Dressage and Jumping Career as opposed to being a Show Horse, though all His Family are posh Show Horses :biggrin: I've been there and done that Showing, it's full of bitchiness and a lot of it is who you know that determines how far you get, but your Sec D sounds loverly so should hopefully do well!! :biggrin:
It is great!! I always Hack out in fluorescents :biggrin:
I've heard of the POLITE Range but I'll definately have to have a look!! :biggrin:
You're Welcome, I shall keep an eye open for a chunky monkey for ya :tongue:
Reply 64
The POLITE range is great! Even got checkered hat bands for us and checkered flourescent boots for the pones. The best thing about the POLITE range is that that the boots, neckstraps and the hat band are all adjustable so you can buy one and adjust it so it fits an 13.2hh pony and then adjust it after to fit a 16.2hh! :smile:

That's the thing that puts me off showing, but I guess its horses, there's always going to be something bitchy about it. I've had my fair share of bitchyness on yards and in riding schools so I'm not too bothered about the bitchyness. I will get a picture up soon of my boys, I promise! :smile:

Thank you! :smile: Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had an embarrassing fall off of a tiny pony! :lol:
(edited 13 years ago)
32329550.jpg

my lovely Nazi :wink:

please, don't mention his big belly, he already knows about it :biggrin:
Original post by abracadabra.
32329550.jpg

my lovely Nazi :wink:

please, don't mention his big belly, he already knows about it :biggrin:

What big belly?? :tongue:
Awwww, He's loverly :biggrin:
Me & Nakeeta (my arab) tried our first solo ride yesterday (without my boyfriend & his Irish Cob Billy) and she was being so good, was going really well, my non-horsey mum was walking with us, then these two horses came charging up the the wall of their field and one of them tried to mount the wall :eek: Nakeeta took one look at them, hopped about a bit, then bolted up the road :rolleyes: leaving non-horsey mum in our dust not knowing what on earth to do! Silly old me lost a stirrup and all! :tongue: managed to get it back and pull her up reasonably quickly but needless to say we WONT be riding down that road alone again!
Original post by Pheebs1201
Me & Nakeeta (my arab) tried our first solo ride yesterday (without my boyfriend & his Irish Cob Billy) and she was being so good, was going really well, my non-horsey mum was walking with us, then these two horses came charging up the the wall of their field and one of them tried to mount the wall :eek: Nakeeta took one look at them, hopped about a bit, then bolted up the road :rolleyes: leaving non-horsey mum in our dust not knowing what on earth to do! Silly old me lost a stirrup and all! :tongue: managed to get it back and pull her up reasonably quickly but needless to say we WONT be riding down that road alone again!

Oh my gosh!! What a palava :eek:
Well done for sorting it out though :tongue: hehehe.
Yeah, perhaps not such a good idea to Ride down that lane alone again!! :tongue:
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
Oh my gosh!! What a palava :eek:
Well done for sorting it out though :tongue: hehehe.
Yeah, perhaps not such a good idea to Ride down that lane alone again!! :tongue:

I couldnt believe it lol. So unlucky that it was the first time we braved it alone too. Silly mare :rolleyes:
I couldnt believe it lol. So unlucky that it was the first time we braved it alone too. Silly mare :rolleyes:

Awww, Nakeeta wasnt a silly Mare - it was the naughty Horsey mounting the fence's fault :tongue: lol.
Awww, Nakeeta wasnt a silly Mare - it was the naughty Horsey mounting the fence's fault :tongue: lol.

Haha very true :tongue: shook me up a bit though! Charging down a road with one stirrup is NOT advisable :tongue: just wish there were a few more people to ride with, as my boyfriends a bit lazy and we have our own field, so not at a yard. And the people from local yards seem a bit cliquey :cool:
Haha very true :tongue: shook me up a bit though! Charging down a road with one stirrup is NOT advisable :tongue: just wish there were a few more people to ride with, as my boyfriends a bit lazy and we have our own field, so not at a yard. And the people from local yards seem a bit cliquey :cool:

I guess I'm fortunate where I keep my Horses as we have lots of ppl to Ride out with :biggrin: Though you could look at is as you and Nakeeta will have a stronger bond/ more trust in eachother because of it - a couple of Horses at our Yard have become attached to my Horsies because we Ride out together so often, whoops :redface:
Yeah, some ppl can be like that - likewise if you visit some local shows etc, there's always oppurtunity to make some Horsey Friends who might be happy Hacking out with you :biggrin:
I guess I'm fortunate where I keep my Horses as we have lots of ppl to Ride out with :biggrin: Though you could look at is as you and Nakeeta will have a stronger bond/ more trust in eachother because of it - a couple of Horses at our Yard have become attached to my Horsies because we Ride out together so often, whoops :redface:
Yeah, some ppl can be like that - likewise if you visit some local shows etc, there's always oppurtunity to make some Horsey Friends who might be happy Hacking out with you :biggrin:

Hehe unfortunately Nakeeta gets a leeeetle bit too excited at shows and tends to rear :tongue: i could always take Billy though :smile:
Hehe unfortunately Nakeeta gets a leeeetle bit too excited at shows and tends to rear :tongue: i could always take Billy though :smile:

Awww :tongue: hehehe - It's always good for experience going to Shows though :biggrin:
My Horsies have been known to be rather naughty @ Shows - I almost got thrown off the Show Ground once because my gorgeous Girlie was making so much noise with all Her calling :redface: lol.
Awww :tongue: hehehe - It's always good for experience going to Shows though :biggrin:
My Horsies have been known to be rather naughty @ Shows - I almost got thrown off the Show Ground once because my gorgeous Girlie was making so much noise with all Her calling :redface: lol.

Hehe naughty naughty! I dont know, Ive never done showing before im such a "happy hacker" haha not sure Im quite there yet :biggrin:
Hehe naughty naughty! I dont know, Ive never done showing before im such a "happy hacker" haha not sure Im quite there yet :biggrin:

Well I paid to be at the Show so was glad not be thrown off th eshow Ground :tongue: lol. I've Ridden many a naughty Ponio at Shows, I wouldnt tell You what some of the Horses I've Ridden used to get up to, might put you off Shows :redface: :tongue:
If you're a 'Happy Hacker' then you could just visit Shows to watch, get chatting to some of the local ppl with Horsies and find someone to Ride out with that way :biggrin:
Well I paid to be at the Show so was glad not be thrown off th eshow Ground :tongue: lol. I've Ridden many a naughty Ponio at Shows, I wouldnt tell You what some of the Horses I've Ridden used to get up to, might put you off Shows :redface: :tongue:
If you're a 'Happy Hacker' then you could just visit Shows to watch, get chatting to some of the local ppl with Horsies and find someone to Ride out with that way :biggrin:

Oh I always go to them! Just dont participate :tongue:
Reply 78
just thought i'd post a photo of me and my pony chelsea that was taken a few days ago, i know i've posted before, but i really really love this picture :smile:
Going to attempt to upload a pic of my arab nakeeta...
nakeeta.jpg

Did it work? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest