The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Again, is it really a surprise.

As usual quality commands high prices. (Generally speaking).
Original post by im so academic

OP: I'd wait until the prospectuses have been released for absolutely final confirmation of fees.

Prospectuses are being released for many universities already, just leaving the fee details out.
Original post by fluteflute

Original post by fluteflute
Prospectuses are being released for many universities already, just leaving the fee details out.

Oh really. That's quite awkward.
Reply 43
Queen Mary were talking about £7.8k as necessary to continue the same quality before Xmas. However I get the feeling now that they'll probably follow the rest into £9k. Exeter has already gone £9k and QMUL is a 1994 university like Exeter and there is little difference in their quality, so I'd expect them to follow roughly the same line.

We're heading for a massive showdown between the government and the universities because the government keeps saying that if every university goes for £9k then further cuts will be necessary to afford the student loans it'll bring on. God knows what's going to happen next.

Oh really. That's quite awkward.

Certainly Oxford and Cambridge have. I also have a 2012 prospectus for Aberystwyth.
Original post by chrislpp
QUB is not worth £9000.

Dear god I absolutely loathe the place, the students around it and the businesses that treat you like **** even though the students bring them the majority of their income. There's like 3 decent clubs and bouncers can be hit and miss......

QUB, the only thing you graduate with is a First in pretentiousness which is soon thrown back in your face considering most graduates work in the surrounding shops as cashiers unless they were top of their class. Belfast went down the ****ter a long time ago.

Why you giving out to me i didnt set the fees...
Reply 47
Not Ex-poly = 9k

Ex-poly = not 9k

It's going that way it seems.
Is it fair to assume that all 1994 and Russell group unis will be charging 9K? I mean, if Essex is, it must surely be a given.
Reply 49
Original post by Mombasa Raha
Is it fair to assume that all 1994 and Russell group unis will be charging 9K? I mean, if Essex is, it must surely be a given.

More than likely, it seems to be the way it's going. Essex and Exeter have both gone that way and they're hardly UCL's or Oxbridge.
Original post by ajp100688
More than likely, it seems to be the way it's going. Essex and Exeter have both gone that way and they're hardly UCL's or Oxbridge.

Original post by Mombasa Raha

More or less. Essex and Surrey do have slightly different circumstances since they are very dependent on foreign students (almost 50% at essex), which will be cut with the student visa. Also, the only reason Essex is able to punch far above its weight in the RAE is because of Economics, Sociology and government, all of which are dependent on grants from the ESRC which are being rapidly withdrawn. Both essex and Surrey have big plans for expansion as well, so the income must be solid.

I can't see UEA, Lancaster or any other higher ranking uni charging less, since it would mean that they appear to offer a poorer quality education.
Reply 51
Original post by spidergareth
More or less. Essex and Surrey do have slightly different circumstances since they are very dependent on foreign students (almost 50% at essex), which will be cut with the student visa. Also, the only reason Essex is able to punch far above its weight in the RAE is because of Economics, Sociology and government, all of which are dependent on grants from the ESRC which are being rapidly withdrawn. Both essex and Surrey have big plans for expansion as well, so the income must be solid.

I can't see UEA, Lancaster or any other higher ranking uni charging less, since it would mean that they appear to offer a poorer quality education.

Indeed if you look through the 1994 there's only a handful of universities I can see that might avoid taking the leap to £9k. Namely Birkbeck, Goldsmiths and Reading. Other than that I think they're going to move en masse. I certainly think my uni might as it has about 35% foreign students and it's strengths are more on the soc sci and humanities side than hard sciences.

Makes me glad I only paid £3.2k.
Indeed if you look through the 1994 there's only a handful of universities I can see that might avoid taking the leap to £9k. Namely Birkbeck, Goldsmiths and Reading. Other than that I think they're going to move en masse. I certainly think my uni might as it has about 35% foreign students and it's strengths are more on the soc sci and humanities side than hard sciences.

Makes me glad I only paid £3.2k.

Even then, I don't really think they will do purely because of the aforementioned quality issue. Take a subject like History or english lit, both of which Goldsmiths and Reading outrank essex on in terms of entry requirements and league table rankings. If the degree at essex cost more, I think people would view Reading and Goldsmiths offerings as inferior.

I think it beoming increasingly clear that we are heading towards a binary system: Older unis charge 9k, ex-polys (with the exception of Oxford Brookes and a few others) charge 6k.
Reply 53
Original post by spidergareth
Even then, I don't really think they will do purely because of the aforementioned quality issue. Take a subject like History or english lit, both of which Goldsmiths and Reading outrank essex on in terms of entry requirements and league table rankings. If the degree at essex cost more, I think people would view Reading and Goldsmiths offerings as inferior.

I think it beoming increasingly clear that we are heading towards a binary system: Older unis charge 9k, ex-polys (with the exception of Oxford Brookes and a few others) charge 6k.

Could well be, although I think we might see more differentiation amongst the polys, there are so many of them and varying quality I think they'll price much differently. Their role has always been to improve access to higher education and thus they're not as concerned with reputation as the traditionals. I wouldn't be surprised for a couple outremers to go and price at £5k as an experiment and see where it goes. Kinda like how Leeds Met. had degrees for £2k under our current fees system.

I certainly don't think the quality of education at places like London Met. is worth £6k in this day and age and if they price at that then I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of them getting closed down or reverting to HE colleges.
Queen Mary were talking about £7.8k as necessary to continue the same quality before Xmas. However I get the feeling now that they'll probably follow the rest into £9k. Exeter has already gone £9k and QMUL is a 1994 university like Exeter and there is little difference in their quality, so I'd expect them to follow roughly the same line.

We're heading for a massive showdown between the government and the universities because the government keeps saying that if every university goes for £9k then further cuts will be necessary to afford the student loans it'll bring on. God knows what's going to happen next.

Should be... interesting, to say the least. :cookie:
Reply 55
Is it fair to assume that all 1994 and Russell group unis will be charging 9K?

Yeah its going that way. In my naivety i thought only the Russel group's and a couple 94's like Durham and Loughborough would charge the full wack - Now Essex is going for 9 k, wtf?
I saw an article on Birkbeck's website; they've expressed the need to charge as much as they can i.e somewhere between £6,000 and £9,000.

Source: http://www.bbk.ac.uk/mybirkbeck/finance/fees-information/major-changes

I believe it's fair for the Russell Group and 1994 Group Universities to charge the top amount, the majority of them are world leading institutions. They also risk devaluing their brand if they charge much less than £9,000.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
The statistics will show year on year what the trend is like for students and whether they avoid the 9k unis of not.
Manchester has announced their 9k fees. Inevitable really.

>>http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/news/display/?id=6856
Reply 59
Aston are hoping to charge 9k too. Nothing's final until we hear if the unis have met the criteria that allows them to charge that. Tbh I think it should go on the rep of the course at the uni/the uni in general.

Quick Reply

Latest