The Student Room Group

Film and Television Production 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm applying for UWS (Ayr)

My main choice was to travel to Coleraine (I'm from Belfast) but they won't offer me any entry point apart from 1st year because I'm lacking 1 out of the 4 Distinctions they want from my 2nd year of my HND (even though I have 7 distinctions over the 2 years plus I have 4 more merits than they want and overall only have 2 passes out of 19 units.

UWS is offering me entry into 3rd year based upon my practical experiance. My HND was almost all practical based so I have plenty on my showreel.

I'm not too keen on travelling across the water but I have family in that part of Scotland so I'd rather go there than across to England.

I hear the University may not be one of the best but I believe University is what you make it and to be honest it's the best option for me considering University of Ulster are up thier own asses!
Hey guys, I'm in first year at Herts, and i wished some people had been on studentroom last year to talk about film and tv, so here we go!

Choosing Herts was the best decision I have made! I did a gap year and worked in a pub for a year beforehand. I knew i loved art and drama, and I love film and want to make it!

So I applied to Southampton Solent, Sheffield Hallam, Bournemouth (wiltshire college) and Leeds met also. I was accepted to all and Hertfordshire was the last one I visited, and the one i knew very little about.

The bad stuff:

Hertfordshire, and the town of Hatfield, are DEAD other than the university. Seriously. but with tens of thousands of students, there are plenty of people. It's one of those 'make your own fun' type places. Some people find that there aren't enough places to go out, and they get bored. My advice? Choose Roberts Way cheapest accommodation and have the best of both worlds as a student. i get a great night's sleep, but have big parties with no security!
That's literally all I can think of in terms of bad.

The good stuff:

It's 75% practical. Even for the academic side, it's a lot of fun. Good subject. I'm currently writing an essay on Channel Four.
It's really busy, and at the end of the day if you give a damn about getting into the industry, expect to be worked hard. Mondays are the only theory 10-6.30 (with breaks). Tuesdays are post production with final cut pro and fab editing suites. Weds are with an independant filmmaker. Weds are camera/sound/studio/gallery training. (This is first year intro to everything) Thursdays are production!

The lecturers are on IMDB. The course leader has done editing on Kickass, Harry Potter, Scott Pilgrim, and loads more. They use twitter and respond quickly to e-mails, and are really helpful. I got work experience for Dave channel within two months just by having contact with the lecturers. We were on the Wright Stuff the other day. It's so close to London that you get so many trips, it's exciting!

And finally, we have just finished a television entertainment project, and here is the set I got to design and we all built it :smile: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=f3tbts&s=5

If anyone has ever done something like drama and put on a production, that awesome feeling you get at the end where you see what you've produced? Yeahhhhh that's what right now is like for me and my coursemates :smile:

I would love feedback, happy to answer questions also.
Reply 22
That's a cool review for Herts. Kind of wish I put it down as a choice now. *doh*
Reply 23
Original post by halsmith
Hi Guys,

I'm from down in Cornwall and have applied for:

AUCB - Film Production (which I have an interview for on the 19th Dec)
Bournemouth Uni - Television (which I have an interview for on the 20th Dec)
Hertfordshire/Hatfield Uni - Film and TV (which I have a conditional offer for)
Falmouth - Film
Newport - Film and Video

I applied for Bournemouth Television Production Course too and also have an interview on the 20th December !
:smile:
Reply 24
Original post by GE12345

Original post by GE12345
I applied for Bournemouth Television Production Course too and also have an interview on the 20th December !

Oh, that's cool! :smile: Might see you there! What are you bringing? :smile:
Reply 25
Oh, that's cool! :smile: Might see you there! What are you bringing? :smile:

Yeah! :smile: I'm bringing a portfolio with some productions made in school and outside of school...you?
Can you guys help me with my showreel? How many different productions do you have in it? And do you show enough of each story to make it obvious what is it about or interlink them all in editing?
Reply 27
Original post by GE12345

Original post by GE12345
Yeah! :smile: I'm bringing a portfolio with some productions made in school and outside of school...you?

Yeah, I'm bringing a portfolio with Art, Photography and written work in :smile: Also if anybody wants to check out my online portfolio which I have recently added a showreel to, check out the link:

http://www.halsmith.co.uk

Any feedback would we wonderful! :smile:
Yeah, I'm bringing a portfolio with Art, Photography and written work in :smile: Also if anybody wants to check out my online portfolio which I have recently added a showreel to, check out the link:

http://www.halsmith.co.uk

Any feedback would we wonderful! :smile:

Wow. That is so professional. Do you really need university? You could just send that to companies (Honestly, I think you could)
Are you paying for the domain?
I really love your showreel and how it works well with the music. Wasn't too sure about the bit where you could see that you were filming the TV but I guess that makes more sense in the whole film.
I really love it and now I am so scared that I am going to fail with you in the same interview group O.O
Good Luck! They'd be crazy not to take you.
Reply 29
Original post by MissBlueskys
Wow. That is so professional. Do you really need university? You could just send that to companies (Honestly, I think you could)
Are you paying for the domain?
I really love your showreel and how it works well with the music. Wasn't too sure about the bit where you could see that you were filming the TV but I guess that makes more sense in the whole film.
I really love it and now I am so scared that I am going to fail with you in the same interview group O.O
Good Luck! They'd be crazy not to take you.

You are too kind! I paid for like a 1 Year hosting and domain plan, but it might be cool to keep the website as an ongoing thing.
Thankyou! Yeah, I know which shot you mean, but it was actually part of a music video, so I thought I'd stick it in there :smile:
People have different strengths! There is nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 30
Hi guys!!!
I'm applying for BA DFTV- Digital Film and Television for 2012 at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, and I would REALLY like to know if anyone here is applying to RCS too ! Does anyone know anything for this course? because it seems interesting on the website, but I cannot find information anywhere else, and I cant go to an open day, at least for now.. PLEASE, at least for the conservatoire itself, has anyone been to an open day? how is it like? good luck to all of you!
and THANK YOU! x
Reply 31
Applied to Winchester (conditional offer), Lincoln (conditional), Central Lancashire, Chester (conditional) and Stirling :smile:
Reply 32
for the best courses in media look at www.skillset.org ... skillset means that the industry recognise the course as being one of the best for that subject

i am hoping to do television production my choices are

1 - Southampton Solent (Skillset Course)
2 - Bournemouth (Skillset Course)
3 - New Buckinghamshire
4 - Bedfordshire
5 - Canterbury Christ Church (because its near me)

If anyone has similar choices message me :smile:
Reply 33
How did everyone get on at the Bournemouth television production interview on the 20th?
Reply 34
got conditional for TV Production.(Bournemouth Uni)
Reply 35
Hey guys, I now have conditional offers for:

Film Production - Bournemouth Arts (3 Year Course)
TV Production - Bournemouth Uni
Film and Video - Newport
Film and TV - Hertfordshire

Still need to hear back from Falmouth Uni, but the man at the interview did tell me that he would 'Be very surprised' if I didn't get an offer. But I am still waiting for a reply. It's not really my first choice anyway.
Hey guys, I now have conditional offers for:

Film Production - Bournemouth Arts (3 Year Course)
TV Production - Bournemouth Uni
Film and Video - Newport
Film and TV - Hertfordshire

Still need to hear back from Falmouth Uni, but the man at the interview did tell me that he would 'Be very surprised' if I didn't get an offer. But I am still waiting for a reply. It's not really my first choice anyway.

Did AUCB change your Year 0 to Year 1 recently? They did that to me but I already put is as insurance. What one is your favourite?
Reply 37
Original post by MissBlueskys
Did AUCB change your Year 0 to Year 1 recently? They did that to me but I already put is as insurance. What one is your favourite?

Yeah they did, I wasn't sure about it when AUCB offered me a Year 0 but now they have offered me a Year 1 it's definitely my top choice.

That sucks, can you not change it now? What's your top, Newport?
Yeah they did, I wasn't sure about it when AUCB offered me a Year 0 but now they have offered me a Year 1 it's definitely my top choice.

That sucks, can you not change it now? What's your top, Newport?

Yeah Newport is my Firm, I really love it but if I had been offered Year 1 at AUCB earlier I might had gone there. My fault for replying real quick :biggrin: Anyway I am dying to go now. College seems so much more long.
Reply 39
Anyone doing Media Production at Winchester? I've put it down as my firm :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending