The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

The Official Sussex FIRMERS 2012 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by brightonlad89
The changes are quite big and have been controversial (people hate change!!), but if you haven't been used to the old system you're unlikely to be phased by it. The new system is in line with most other universities' year format.

I don't know anyone personally in their UG doing combined Law and Business but with Joint Honours Students (and I assume the same for Law and Business), they do the core modules in their 2 subjects and miss out on electives. So you'll be doing the same amount of work, just less choice in what modules.

Thank god lol I was panicking about having to do two amounts of work , Ahh you've been a big help
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by youngzwavey
Thank god lol I was panicking about having to do two amounts of work , Ahh you've been a big help

Yeah, thankfully nothing like that! Your workload should be pretty much the same as with single honours as you're doing the same number of modules.

The only major difference is in the final year where some joint honours students do 2 dissertations... or none at all... depending on their courses' preferred assessment type. But, even then, the amount of work involved is always similar. My one dissertation plus one thesis was the same in wordcount as those who did 2 dissertations. It all evens out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Can I ask a potentially major question? I've heard mobile phone reception is sketchy at best on campus and I'm due for an upgrade just before September so which is the best network provider to go with in terms of singnal?
Getting my priorities right you see! ;-)
Reply 23
Yeah, thankfully nothing like that! Your workload should be pretty much the same as with single honours as you're doing the same number of modules.

The only major difference is in the final year where some joint honours students do 2 dissertations... or none at all... depending on their courses' preferred assessment type. But, even then, the amount of work involved is always similar. My one dissertation plus one thesis was the same in wordcount as those who did 2 dissertations. It all evens out.

i actually can't thank you enough, waiting for the law department to reply to my email was worse than watching paint dry.
Original post by Ocean_Rox
Can I ask a potentially major question? I've heard mobile phone reception is sketchy at best on campus and I'm due for an upgrade just before September so which is the best network provider to go with in terms of singnal?
Getting my priorities right you see! ;-)

I'm on Vodafone and reception has never been a problem anywhere on campus. Same I've heard with friends on o2. A housemate on Orange occasionally had the odd spell of no reception which she seemed to be able to rectify with a network on/off button click so nothing she seemed to worry about. A friend on T-Mobile on the otherhand had awful reception and, on campus, the only way to get hold of him was to call his landline. He switched to Vodafone because of this. Not sure about 3.
Reply 25
Firmed Business and Management Studies few weeks ago! and today chose the Room Preferences ...
1. Brighthelm 2. Swanborough 3. Northfield 4. Lewes court 5. Lewes court en-suite 6. Stanmer Court 7. East Slope 8. Park house 9. Park Village 10. off campus... I just hope it will be one of the TOP5 :P

Any other international student in here? :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by thefunktopus69
Economics BSc -Still need to do housing thing though!

Hey

I've also firmed Sussex for Econ BSc , have you received any letters or emails from Sussex yet about accommodation etc

Good luck everyone for the June exams :biggrin:
Reply 27
I'm on Vodafone and reception has never been a problem anywhere on campus. Same I've heard with friends on o2. A housemate on Orange occasionally had the odd spell of no reception which she seemed to be able to rectify with a network on/off button click so nothing she seemed to worry about. A friend on T-Mobile on the otherhand had awful reception and, on campus, the only way to get hold of him was to call his landline. He switched to Vodafone because of this. Not sure about 3.

Thanks for that, that's great info. What about TV reception? Is it true there is next to none? I'm thinking of bringing my TV anyway for my console and DVD's (if needed) but am I really going to miss TV?
Reply 28
Thanks for that, that's great info. What about TV reception? Is it true there is next to none? I'm thinking of bringing my TV anyway for my console and DVD's (if needed) but am I really going to miss TV?

good question, i need to know too, sigh poor mobile reception ie no tmobile 3g and now no tv :'( this must be a bad dream
Original post by itrader
Hey

I've also firmed Sussex for Econ BSc , have you received any letters or emails from Sussex yet about accommodation etc

Good luck everyone for the June exams :biggrin:

I just checked and I haven't -I think they said late March or something.

Yeah good luck to you to -how many you got?

My insurance is Kent -what's yours?

Originally Posted by brightonlad89

At the open day I got full 3G on 3, I may have even got H (the higher speed thing). 5 bars as well.
(edited 11 years ago)

I'm not sure about TV signal as I brought my TV for DVDs and consoles but not for live TV. One thing to keep in mind is that your accommodation will be a separate ''address'' (as a sole tenant contract) from others in your house and so you won't be able to split a TV licence amount with anyone.

For example, I was in 6 Park Village and Room C. This was a sole tenancy so even if the guy in the room next to mine, 6D, had a TV licence that wouldn't cover mine-- unlike most 'normal' housing scenarios. So I figured it wasn't worth it for the sake of 9 months (and 3 of those months will be holidays).

Most people just watched iPlayer etc on their laptops, which is legal without a licence as long as you aren't streaming anything live. The licencing people do hound the accomodations excessively though, so I definitely wouldn't try dodging. But personally, a TV licence I think is a bit of a waste of money when it'll only cover your room. But, ifyou really want to, you could always try it and see if it works before you commit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by youngzwavey
good question, i need to know too, sigh poor mobile reception ie no tmobile 3g and now no tv :'( this must be a bad dream

Just to add that my mate's poor T-Mobile reception was before the days Orange and T-Mobile joined forces and so their on-campus signal may have improved.
Reply 32
Just to add that my mate's poor T-Mobile reception was before the days Orange and T-Mobile joined forces and so their on-campus signal may have improved.

ahh thats reassuring now, its 2012 there isnt an excuse for these companies to give poor signal
Reply 33
Firmed Sussex for Biomedical Science! Anymore biomed hopefuls?
Reply 34
firmed sussex for BA geography and international development :smile:.
just doing my accommodation thingymabob now, everyone appears to be putting 10 choices? do you have to fill out all 10 because i have only put 4, as they are the only ones i want, which are:
1. swanborough
2. northfield
3. lewes court phase 2
4. brighthelm

anyone else a geography person and/or thinking of going for similar accommodation? :smile:.
Reply 35
Original post by TazC
Firmed Sussex for Biomedical Science! Anymore biomed hopefuls?

sortof, im a medical neuroscience lady :smile: hello!
Reply 36
I'm not sure about TV signal as I brought my TV for DVDs and consoles but not for live TV. One thing to keep in mind is that your accommodation will be a separate ''address'' (as a sole tenant contract) from others in your house and so you won't be able to split a TV licence amount with anyone.

For example, I was in 6 Park Village and Room C. This was a sole tenancy so even if the guy in the room next to mine, 6D, had a TV licence that wouldn't cover mine-- unlike most 'normal' housing scenarios. So I figured it wasn't worth it for the sake of 9 months (and 3 of those months will be holidays).

Most people just watched iPlayer etc on their laptops, which is legal without a licence as long as you aren't streaming anything live. The licencing people do hound the accomodations excessively though, so I definitely wouldn't try dodging. But personally, a TV licence I think is a bit of a waste of money when it'll only cover your room. But, ifyou really want to, you could always try it and see if it works before you commit.

Ah great. Thanks for that. I think I will bring my TV anyway and then see how it goes from there. :smile:
Original post by lindsay1
just doing my accommodation thingymabob now, everyone appears to be putting 10 choices? do you have to fill out all 10 because i have only put 4, as they are the only ones i want, which are:
1. swanborough
2. northfield
3. lewes court phase 2
4. brighthelm

anyone else a geography person and/or thinking of going for similar accommodation? :smile:.

You don't have to by any means, it just means if your top 4 are full, you still have preferences beyond that. A girl I knew in first year got put into East Slope, her 8th choice, but she applied later than she should have. People every year are turned away from accomodation because there just isn't enough so the earlier you apply the better. I got into my first choice but sent back the form literally the day after I received it.
Reply 38
You don't have to by any means, it just means if your top 4 are full, you still have preferences beyond that. A girl I knew in first year got put into East Slope, her 8th choice, but she applied later than she should have. People every year are turned away from accomodation because there just isn't enough so the earlier you apply the better. I got into my first choice but sent back the form literally the day after I received it.

I sent my form BEFORE I was sent it somehow. Sussex PLEASE give me Brighthelm :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by lindsay1
1. swanborough
2. northfield
3. lewes court phase 2
4. brighthelm

I'm a BA Geography person! What's your insurance?

Quick Reply

Latest