The Student Room Group

Transformed myself from plain-jane to plain-pretty,but people don't seem to like it?

So I am 20 years old and all my life untill recently, I was a plain jane - plain-Jane locks,wore glasses, absolutely no makeup,boring clothes,hardly dress up.But recently,I thought I'd have a makeover and have started wearing make up and doing my hair and stuff.It's not a huge transformation, all I've really changed about my previous looks is that I now wear bold jewellery, have started to wear makeup(ONLY mascara and lip gloss),put on contacts and try different kind of clothes that suit me.

Anyway, a lot of people have complimented me and say I look much better and that I look really nice(at home,college,everywhere), but it seems a lot are against my 'transformation' though they all agree that I look "amazing".My sister and aunt said that I look so beautiful that I should tone it down.Also, that there's no point cause I'm already pretty so I don't need make up since I'm a 'natural beauty'.The only thing they believe I should do is just my hair and change my dress sense.

Also, people keep asking me "why are you wearing jewelery?" "who are you trying to impress?" "how come you want to look pretty now?" "you've become vain" "what's the point of making yourself look nice now?" "You were already pretty even if you looked simple" Also, my sister joked "you look beautiful, now I will tell people you're my sister" but on the other hand she's saying that I shouldn't transform myself but she says it's cause I annoy her cause I ask her about make up and stuff all the time now lol

Also, yesterday my dad kept looking at me and he asked me "where did you go today" I told him I'd been nowhere then he said I look really smart and pretty but he prefers it when I don't dress myself up.He said I'm pretty as I am and he's worried that if I go out like that I might "not come back for the night" whatever he meant by that :/(no I wasn't dress slutty or anything). But he is overprotective.

But the thing is both my younger sisters have always been into fashion and always dress up.But now I have started to do the same people are not comfortable with it? why is that? They like it, but then they don't like it? if you get me.

It is kinda affecting I always think maybe I should just go back to my old boring geeky self and that it's not me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
If you feel good , keep doing what you're doing. Remember it's your life , make yourself happy don't worry about whatever anyone is saying. Sounds cliche but it's true ! :smile:
Samantha Brick's daughter?
Reply 3
I would say just go with whatever you feel comfortable with because at the end of the day it is your confidence / self-esteem that is going to benefit from this, no-one elses.
Reply 4
Pics or it didn't happen.

What is your point?

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in and do not fall in with the herds. Sod everyone else.
Reply 5
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s

First thing that I thought of :tongue:
Reply 6
Jealousy. For some reason in our society, whenever people transform themselves physically, for example by losing weight, people (mainly women) feel uncomfortable and threatened by it.

If it's making you feel happier and more confident in yourself, continue with it.
To be quite frank, they sound a little intimidated. You never know how people feel about you. Maybe they've always felt you were beautiful and took comfort in the fact that you never really cared about beauty and now that you do, it bothers them.
Brush the comments off if you're happy with the way you look.
Reply 9
Original post by Nucleolus
Jealousy. For some reason in our society, whenever people transform themselves physically, for example by losing weight, people (mainly women) feel uncomfortable and threatened by it.

If it's making you feel happier and more confident in yourself, continue with it.

Yeah... same happens with guys and building muscle and stuff too. Bodybuilding's about the one hobby that you'll be criticised for wanting to further.
Not all Jane's are plain..
Reply 11
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s

Hell no :eek: can't stand her!

Hope I didn't sound arrogant or anything :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that I don't feel like myself, it's hard to explain.Like it's different the way people react to me now maybe cause they not used to it , I'm not saying women hate me or "i'm the most beautiful woman ever" :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Screw what people think!
Reply 13
Do whatever makes you happy- they'll accept it sooner or later. :smile:
Original post by sarah124
So I am 20 years old and all my life untill recently, I was a plain jane - plain-Jane locks,wore glasses, absolutely no makeup,boring clothes,hardly dress up.But recently,I thought I'd have a makeover and have started wearing make up and doing my hair and stuff.It's not a huge transformation, all I've really changed about my previous looks is that I now wear bold jewellery, have started to wear makeup(ONLY mascara and lip gloss),put on contacts and try different kind of clothes that suit me.

Anyway, a lot of people have complimented me and say I look much better and that I look really nice(at home,college,everywhere), but it seems a lot are against my 'transformation' though they all agree that I look "amazing".My sister and aunt said that I look so beautiful that I should tone it down.Also, that there's no point cause I'm already pretty so I don't need make up since I'm a 'natural beauty'.The only thing they believe I should do is just my hair and change my dress sense.

Also, people keep asking me "why are you wearing jewelery?" "who are you trying to impress?" "how come you want to look pretty now?" "you've become vain" "what's the point of making yourself look nice now?" "You were already pretty even if you looked simple" Also, my sister joked "you look beautiful, now I will tell people you're my sister" but on the other hand she's saying that I shouldn't transform myself but she says it's cause I annoy her cause I ask her about make up and stuff all the time now lol

Also, yesterday my dad kept looking at me and he asked me "where did you go today" I told him I'd been nowhere then he said I look really smart and pretty but he prefers it when I don't dress myself up.He said I'm pretty as I am and he's worried that if I go out like that I might "not come back for the night" whatever he meant by that :/(no I wasn't dress slutty or anything). But he is overprotective.

But the thing is both my younger sisters have always been into fashion and always dress up.But now I have started to do the same people are not comfortable with it? why is that? They like it, but then they don't like it? if you get me.

It is kinda affecting I always think maybe I should just go back to my old boring geeky self and that it's not me.

As long as you're doing it for your own benefit. There is no problem with you deciding what you want to wear or how you want to look. People will get used to whatever choice you make, and if they don't like it tough. The only person who should get a say on what you look like is you.
Take this from a 17 year old who takes about 5 seconds to do her hair every morning! I chose to wear contacts because I didn't like how I looked like with glasses. So after wearing glasses all through secondary school and suddenly getting contacts, people did comment, but I just payed attention to the compliments! Self confidence is the best thing. If you feel confident enough to not wear a face full of make up, then that's brilliant and good for you. You're a rarity, so embrace it!

Essentially, wear what you want. If you like how you look now, then let them get used to it. You're indelibly you, so just make the most of it! :biggrin:
I think that people are just confused by the sudden change. Maybe you are doing this because you were probably always interested or just because we're human and we change. But when you think you know someone so well and all of a sudden they change( not saying for the worst ) it's a little confusing and always takes some time to get used to. Although, I'm pretty sure you only changed on the outside because you don't sound vain at all, I think they're just a little thrown off as to why the sudden change.

Keep it up. Just let them know this is you now. You're in your prime and trying new things.
Reply 16
Lime green jello
Original post by sarah124
x

Don't let what they say affect you. I've been through the exact same thing and it does effect other people more than it affects you because while you feel the difference and feel the increase in confidence, they see the difference so they make it into something it shouldn't be. In a lot of cases people don't want to see that it's making you happy because they're jealous - they're blinded by their jealousy and it scares them. It's as simple as that.

If you're happy then leave it at that. The worst thing you can do to yourself is change yourself back just because others don't like the new you. It's their problem - not yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending