The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

When will we know the result of Desmond Tutu Financial Award ???????????????????????????
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 661
How many contact hours are at Computer Science with Management?
Original post by usernamevoid
Thanks Emma but a closer look suggests that the fee rates are for 2011 and not 2012/13 entry. :frown:

Hi usernamevoid!

Looks like the 2012/13 fees haven’t been released yet. The new fee schedule should be very similar to 2011/12, so I suggest you use this as a guideline and keep checking the link I sent you where the new fee schedule will be posted. :biggrin:

Good luck with the application!
Emma
Original post by maxcartwright
Thank you! Two more questions if that's all right. Should the statement be focused on why I dropped out previously or why I should br given equal priority this time around? Also, would it be better to email them a scanned statement than mail it?

Hi maxcartright :smile:

I would say it is important to include both. They will want to know why you dropped out previously and if you have any extenuating circumstances then it is important to mention this especially if you can provide any proof. It is also important to make them aware that you are an overseas student. I don’t think it matters whether you email or mail it, but email will probably be faster in terms of you getting a response.

Good luck with everything!
Emma
Original post by yp2
I am planing of buying a plane ticket early on and I was wondering what are the term dates for the 2012/13 academic year. (similar to http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/music/study/induct/dates.aspx perhaps?)

Hello!
Registration week is 17 21 September, see http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/ImportantDates.aspx. There will also be a few days of orientation for students who are new to the UK (this will be from 12-14 September). Hope this helps :smile:

Emma
Original post by usernamevoid
When will we know the result of Desmond Tutu Financial Award ???????????????????????????

Hi usernamevoid!

I have just checked with the Student Funding Office, and you should hear by the end of May. :smile:

Emma
Original post by King’s College London
Hi usernamevoid!

I have just checked with the Student Funding Office, and you should hear by the end of May. :smile:

Emma

Thank you very much Emma :tongue:
Original post by AceS4

Hi AceS4!

I will contact the department about this and get back to you. In the meantime you can find out details of how the course is structured on our online prospectus: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/index/name/computer-science-with-management/alpha//header_search/computer+science+with+management

Best wishes :smile:
Emma
Original post by doubleAA
Hi

Wondering if anyone knew whether Kings offered a bursary to nursing applicants on top of the nhs bursary and student loan I know they offer myKings bursary to all applicants that recieve maintanance grants and seeing as we don't does that mean we are not eligible.

Just wanted to know as I was informed Buckinghamshire and Middlesex university offer bursary/grant of £1000 pound on top of everything nursing students are elidgable for. Just wanted to know if it was something that all universities offered and whether Kings offers it.

Many Thanks

Hi doubleAA

Thank you for your message. :smile: The School of Nursing does not offer an ‘automatic’ bursary on top of the NHS bursary, but you are eligible to apply to any additional funding that is available to all King’s students. The King’s Living Bursary which I think you are referring to is currently only available to home students who are in receipt of the maintenance grant, see http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/stufund/2012-13/bursaries-sships/kings-living2012.aspx. For more information on King’s funding schemes generally visit http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/stufund/index.aspx.

I hope this helps :biggrin:
Emma
Reply 669
Hi KCL,

I hold an offer for Politics of the International Economy but was unable to attend either open day due to being abroad. I was wondering, however, if I could still receive the documents that are usually handed out in open days. The course is particularly new so I would like to learn as much about it as possible.

Please let me know if you need any private details, since I can provide them to you in a PM.

Thanks in advance.
Hi KCL, I'm thinking of making King's my firm from pharmacy, but I will be away for the start of the course; the start date is 1st September, I am in France until the 6th.

Will this muck things up? I really want to be there for freshers :/
Me again, a couple more questions:

1) Does King's decide on where people are placed in accomadation based on their interests, like UCL does?

2) Are pets a definate no in accomadation (I have a snake)

Thank you for your help
Original post by skay
Hi KCL,

I hold an offer for Politics of the International Economy but was unable to attend either open day due to being abroad. I was wondering, however, if I could still receive the documents that are usually handed out in open days. The course is particularly new so I would like to learn as much about it as possible.

Please let me know if you need any private details, since I can provide them to you in a PM.

Thanks in advance.

Hi skay!

Thank you for your message! I think the best option would be for me to ask the department to contact you directly. I will PM you separately and you can send me your personal details. :biggrin:

All the best,
Emma
Original post by loochester
Me again, a couple more questions:

1) Does King's decide on where people are placed in accomadation based on their interests, like UCL does?

2) Are pets a definate no in accomadation (I have a snake)

Thank you for your help

Hi loochester :smile:

I just thought I would answer your questions on one go!

The actual start date for registration week is 17 September, see http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/ImportantDates.aspx. Apparently UCAS holds 1st September as a start date for every university, but our official registration week starts on 17 Sept, so good news that you won’t miss anything!

In terms of accommodation, we select where people are placed based on a computerised ballot system, as we only have a limited number of spaces available. The ballot works on how you rank your preferences and whether they you are a priority applicant (e.g. your first time in higher education and from outside the M25). For further details on the accommodation application process visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/index.aspx. Unfortunately pets are not allowed at any of our residences.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Emma
Hi KCL,

First, thank you for answering my last question. Second, could you confirm me if King's College Hall is really unavailable for september 2012 entry?
Third, are there still places available for Stage III in the english pre-sessional courses and if yes, what is the deadline to apply?

Thanking you in advance,
Nicolas
Reply 675
Hi skay!

Thank you for your message! I think the best option would be for me to ask the department to contact you directly. I will PM you separately and you can send me your personal details. :biggrin:

All the best,
Emma

Hi Emma,

I sent you an email. Please let me know if you need any further personal details.

Original post by AceS4

Hi AceS4!

I have spoken with the department, and the typical number of contact hours for Computer Science with Management are as follows:
Year 1: 363
Year 2: 252
Year 3: 227

In your first year you will have about 14 contact hours per week which breaks down as 9 hours of lectures (3 x 3 hour sessions), 2 hours of practical (1 x 2 hour sessions) and 3 hours of small group tutorials (3 x 1 hour sessions).
Hope this helps! :smile:
Emma
Original post by mister_blue
Hi KCL,

First, thank you for answering my last question. Second, could you confirm me if King's College Hall is really unavailable for september 2012 entry?
Third, are there still places available for Stage III in the english pre-sessional courses and if yes, what is the deadline to apply?

Thanking you in advance,
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas :smile:

Thanks for your message! I can confirm that King’s College Hall will not be available from 23 June 2012. This is due to refurbishment work which will be carried out.

For the English pre-sessional courses there is no specific deadline to apply, but it is best to get your application in early, especially if you need to apply for a visa. I have just double checked with them and there are still spaces available.

All the best :biggrin:
Emma
Hi Nicolas :smile:

Thanks for your message! I can confirm that King’s College Hall will not be available from 23 June 2012. This is due to refurbishment work which will be carried out.

For the English pre-sessional courses there is no specific deadline to apply, but it is best to get your application in early, especially if you need to apply for a visa. I have just double checked with them and there are still spaces available.

All the best :biggrin:
Emma

Thank you very much for these informations Emma. :smile:
Reply 679
Hi AceS4!

I have spoken with the department, and the typical number of contact hours for Computer Science with Management are as follows:
Year 1: 363
Year 2: 252
Year 3: 227

In your first year you will have about 14 contact hours per week which breaks down as 9 hours of lectures (3 x 3 hour sessions), 2 hours of practical (1 x 2 hour sessions) and 3 hours of small group tutorials (3 x 1 hour sessions).
Hope this helps! :smile:
Emma

thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest