The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 1 17th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Top Hats
If I open the paper and there is a bloody question about a bloody ping pong ball I will hunt down the Edexcel examination officer and play ping pong with his balls.

Just saying.

That question in the Jan paper was horrible!
Reply 41
would it be unadvisable to take AS physics without doing it at GCE level?
Reply 42
Original post by ShmangoBaby
And also, does anyone have any good revision notes?
Please post if you have any notes/links. Thanks!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35277448&highlight= check this link....I uploaded some notes i found on TSR... I don't have the original link....
Reply 43
Does anyone have the examiner report for January 2012 paper???
If I open the paper and there is a bloody question about a bloody ping pong ball I will hunt down the Edexcel examination officer and play ping pong with his balls.

Just saying.

lol yea they can get pretty annoying i hate it when there is some vague out of this world question and i come up with an 'amazing rocket scientist' answer nd when i flip open the mark scheme my answer is wrong and there is some easy simple answer
Reply 45
Original post by Salmonidae
That question in the Jan paper was horrible!

Whoever wrote that paper should be shot at dawn, and then afterwards be given a 4 mark question on, with reference to one of Newton's laws of motion, which was safest position to stand; in front or behind the gun.
Reply 46
Whoever wrote that paper should be shot at dawn, and then afterwards be given a 4 mark question on, with reference to one of Newton's laws of motion, which was safest position to stand; in front or behind the gun.

i find it amusing how im supposed to conclude that people get injured when hurled against eachother
Reply 47
Original post by 99llewellyn99
lol yea they can get pretty annoying i hate it when there is some vague out of this world question and i come up with an 'amazing rocket scientist' answer nd when i flip open the mark scheme my answer is wrong and there is some easy simple answer

I know exactly how you feel.
Original post by greenbeast

AS is GCE level.

Do you mean GCSE level? It will take more effort, but it is doable. You'll learn all of the equations and terminology anyway.

I had C1 and M1 maths exams today. I need the maths for university so I've spent all my time looking at that. I scored a middle-B in a mock test yesterday, so a little more prep and I should be golden. I'm only aiming for a C overall.
Reply 49
greenbeast

i think it would be wiser to do your o-levels first...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
can any one list all the thing we need to know in order to solve unit 1...
all the definitions practicals and everything..
it will help alot
Reply 51
when u get an answer like 1.83, and the marking scheme says 1.8.. is it wrong to right 1.83?
Original post by fifty_six
it will help alot

some whr up in the thread is a link open it it contains the specs
Original post by fifty_six
it will help alot

Here

Original post by Issa94
when u get an answer like 1.83, and the marking scheme says 1.8.. is it wrong to right 1.83?

not unless they asked you to round to 2s.f or 1d.p
Reply 55
Original post by 99llewellyn99

I agree, just did a question:
"A car us driven around a bend at a constant speed. Explain what happens to its velocity" and there's me trying to think of some super scientific answer and the actual answer is "Direction change, velocity change" for two marks.
Its an actual joke
Reply 56
Original post by greenbeast

Hello there,
If you mean GCSE - I believe there is no correlation between AS and GCSE physics.
For me, it was totally different.
I had done OCR physics at GCSE, and now I do Edexcel.
Sure I have little background knowledge, but in terms of getting the grades - AS level physics is more applied, whereas at GCSE it was all about memorising.

Go through some books in the library, and if it seems like something you'd enjoy, go for it!
But it isn't easy by any means.

Hope that helps,
Abeed
Did anybody do their AQA Maths Core 1 and 2 test today? I f so how did they find it?
Reply 58
Original post by Zhy
Can someone draw out the stress-strain graphs for the different types of materials in comparison to each other? (e.g. tough, hard, brittle, malleable, ductile, plastic, elastic, strong, stiff, durable)

Hei....Search on google... There are nice diagrams....
for example, check out the graph given on this page
http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Materials/Mechanical/Tensile.htm
Reply 59
Original post by babit
I agree, just did a question:
"A car us driven around a bend at a constant speed. Explain what happens to its velocity" and there's me trying to think of some super scientific answer and the actual answer is "Direction change, velocity change" for two marks.
Its an actual joke

Thats from movement around a circular track, hm?? displacement and velocity from 1.1 Motion

Quick Reply