The Student Room Group

What word class is something that quantifies an adjective? e.g 'incredibly' beautiful

I know an 'adverb' is something like ate 'quickly' but eat is from to eat which is a verb.

So what is, 'incredibly' beautiful? 'Extremely' dangerous? (beautiful and dangerous being adjectives)

Something that basically quantifies the level of the adjective? What is this called?
Reply 1
Adverb.
Reply 2
Really? I always thought an adverb was something that quantifies the state of the verb hence it kind of being like 'add verb'..

really this is the same for adjectives?????????????????????
Reply 3
adadjective.
Reply 4
Original post by 11:11
adadjective.

lol =/
Reply 5
Yeah, adverb is the term used to describe a word that modifies either a verb or an adjective (but not a noun).
Reply 6
Definitions:
Adjectives are words that describe nouns or pronouns. They may come before the word they describe (That is a cute puppy.) or they may follow the word they describe (That puppy is cute.).

Adverbs are words that modify everything but nouns and pronouns. They modify adjectives, verbs, and other adverbs. A word is an adverb if it answers how, when, or where.

Alright. I get it now. Lol

I can't be blamed, they teach you to analyse language so in depth at A-Level English that I'm just... over.. analysing.. meh
Intensifiers :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Intensifiers :biggrin:

That's what they do (some of them..."quite" and others like it don't really intensify as such).

In terms of form, they're adverbs of degree.
Reply 9
pre-modifier
Reply 10
It's called intensifier. Most definitely NOT an adverb.
Reply 11
An intensifier is an adverb.

Adverbs don't really quantify, they qualify.
Reply 12
Maybe you could just google this question. In one of the links there you will find that intensifiers are a subclass of adverbs unrelated to the class of word it is modifying but defined by how it modifies it. By intensifying (or diminishing) the modified word, strangely enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
They are 'degree adverbs'.

The adjectival phrase, 'extremely dangerous', is made up of the degree adverb + the adjective.
Adverbs to some extent.

Quick Reply