The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Original post by Zerforax
Probably only when you take the populations of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh which is 1.2bil to 1.5bil people.

I think cricket could do more to make itself more popular but that's just my opinion.

Unfortunately every other sport in the world just had the same idea.
Original post by py0alb
Unfortunately every other sport in the world just had the same idea.

*sigh* My point being that cricket has more scope and potential to exploit.

Football is the obvious benchmark with being played in almost every country even at an international level and with the amount of money made by clubs, UEFA and FIFA.

Sports such as baseball, Aus rules rugly, american football etc are only regional.

Sports such as F1 have too high a barrier of entry to develop further (though a number of countries are happy to host races) and are limit in numbers.

Other sports such as snooker, tennis and Rugby have not really developed further than their traditional rules and the former two are more individual sports.

Cricket has a slightly better geographical scope, from the Windes, to Africa and England, to the Oceania region and the asian sub-continent.

We can see that other middle east/asian countries like Iran, Afganistan are taking to the game, the Dutch and Irish have some popularity, there is probably more scope in Africa than currently. If cricket was able to crack China, it would easily spread to that region due to the potential money involved.

If China and India are involved, the sport would grow more in popularity from the sheer amount of money in the sport, with both having huge markets.

Snooker has been relatively flat since its heyday when colour tv first was invented but since the rise of Chinese players, it's had a significant bump with a number of prestigious tournaments being held in China too.
Reply 1862
Original post by Zerforax
*sigh* My point being that cricket has more scope and potential to exploit.

Football is the obvious benchmark with being played in almost every country even at an international level and with the amount of money made by clubs, UEFA and FIFA.

Sports such as baseball, Aus rules rugly, american football etc are only regional.

Sports such as F1 have too high a barrier of entry to develop further (though a number of countries are happy to host races) and are limit in numbers.

Other sports such as snooker, tennis and Rugby have not really developed further than their traditional rules and the former two are more individual sports.

Cricket has a slightly better geographical scope, from the Windes, to Africa and England, to the Oceania region and the asian sub-continent.

We can see that other middle east/asian countries like Iran, Afganistan are taking to the game, the Dutch and Irish have some popularity, there is probably more scope in Africa than currently. If cricket was able to crack China, it would easily spread to that region due to the potential money involved.

If China and India are involved, the sport would grow more in popularity from the sheer amount of money in the sport, with both having huge markets.

Snooker has been relatively flat since its heyday when colour tv first was invented but since the rise of Chinese players, it's had a significant bump with a number of prestigious tournaments being held in China too.

Baseball, rugby union, basketball, volleyball, ice hockey are all *arguably* as popular as cricket worldwide, although they have different core regions, and are all seeking to expand into new areas.
Don't care that Pak lost this test, umpiring was absolutely ****ing pathetic. Wrong decisions cost us the game.
All 20 wickets cannot be put down to Umpiring Decisions. Pakistan are simply too weak in their batting department and are prone to collapses. Other than Younis Khan, they have no experienced batsmen. I still do not understand why Mohammad Yousuf is not playing. Has he officially retired, or is he still in dispute with the PCB?
Reply 1865
Hopefully the next test match is ours...what are the chances
Original post by robotpenguin
All 20 wickets cannot be put down to Umpiring Decisions. Pakistan are simply too weak in their batting department and are prone to collapses. Other than Younis Khan, they have no experienced batsmen. I still do not understand why Mohammad Yousuf is not playing. Has he officially retired, or is he still in dispute with the PCB?

There were around 12 blatantly incorrect decisions in the match by Cricinfo's reckoning, of which 10 were against Pakistan.

We made 300 on a fourth day pitch in Sri Lanka, now that's a pretty fair achievement, and we would have done much better if not for the disgraceful umpiring.
So you think Pakistan's current batting line up is good enough?
And just for the record, I counted 6 dubious decisions, not twelve
Anyone going to Eng women vs Ind women!? :wink: :teehee:
So you think Pakistan's current batting line up is good enough?

The middle order is fine, 3-6 are good enough. The openers are in bad shape but we have to make the best of what we have. We missed Misbah in this match, though Ayub batted for 3.5 hours on debut, which isn't bad. Bringing back Yousuf is just short termist nonsense, Azhar has shown the ability to bat for long periods of time and Shafiq has shown that he's ready for a scrap, and has done well considering where and for whomever he bats. I can't imagine an unfit and rusty 38 year old who refuses to play domestic or county cricket to prove his worth would be any better.
for whom*
I wasn't suggesting he should come back, I was just wondering whether he was still available? I question the ability of Hafeez as an opener, and the ability of Taufeeq Umar. In my view, Hafeez is another Afridi, who gradually become a bowler who can bat a bit rather than visa versa. He should bat lower down the order, and allow someone younger to shape themselves. Pakistan are also quite dependent on Younis Khan and his ability to play long innings.

There were about 10 incorrect decisions against Pak, most of them of the top order batsman. As if our batsman aren't crap enough, the umpires we get turn out to be ****ing **** too.

Well if you're getting wrong decisions, blatantly of course it's going to lead to collapses. Umpiring was absolutely pathetic in this match and I'm not angry at all by Pak losing this match.

Just hope we rip them apart in the next 2 now.
Original post by ♥ ♥
Anyone going to Eng women vs Ind women!? :wink: :teehee:

I was actually tempted to go and watch it (as I live about 5 minutes away from the ground) but I decided to watch the tennis instead :smile:
Reply 1875
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/570131.html

This is getting beyond a joke... absolute bulls*** from the BCCI.
I wasn't suggesting he should come back, I was just wondering whether he was still available? I question the ability of Hafeez as an opener, and the ability of Taufeeq Umar. In my view, Hafeez is another Afridi, who gradually become a bowler who can bat a bit rather than visa versa. He should bat lower down the order, and allow someone younger to shape themselves. Pakistan are also quite dependent on Younis Khan and his ability to play long innings.

I did just say that the openers are in bad shape, everyone who knows anything about cricket knows that Pakistan haven't found a good opening partnership for 10 years at least. I do think Hafeez would do well lower down the order, but it would mean promoting Azhar, Younus and Shafiq (to 2, 3, and 4), Misbah would remain at 5 and Hafeez at 6. The trouble is, Hafeez has no heart for a scrap like Shafiq (which is what Pakistani number 6s need, because of our top order failures), so he'd be average at 6 anyway, and I'd rather Azhar become a quality 3 than tinker with his development by opening him, though he's practically an opener anyway.
Original post by Straight up G
I did just say that the openers are in bad shape, everyone who knows anything about cricket knows that Pakistan haven't found a good opening partnership for 10 years at least. I do think Hafeez would do well lower down the order, but it would mean promoting Azhar, Younus and Shafiq (to 2, 3, and 4), Misbah would remain at 5 and Hafeez at 6. The trouble is, Hafeez has no heart for a scrap like Shafiq (which is what Pakistani number 6s need, because of our top order failures), so he'd be average at 6 anyway, and I'd rather Azhar become a quality 3 than tinker with his development by opening him, though he's practically an opener anyway.

Sorry to interrupt, but I completely agree with you since Saeed Anwar left we have been a train wreck. Mohammad Hafeez looks like the most promising starter we have, which says a lot about the state of Pakistani cricket - this is sad seeing as it was always soo much fun watching the Pakistan games :/
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
There were about 10 incorrect decisions against Pak, most of them of the top order batsman. As if our batsman aren't crap enough, the umpires we get turn out to be ****ing **** too.

Well if you're getting wrong decisions, blatantly of course it's going to lead to collapses. Umpiring was absolutely pathetic in this match and I'm not angry at all by Pak losing this match.

Just hope we rip them apart in the next 2 now.

I don't think you will rip them apart. The weather coming up to the 2nd Test is shocking, which may limit play. Either way, Pakistan's bowling may be better than the Sri Lankans, but Sri Lankas batting is in a different class to the Pakistani batsmen
I don't think you will rip them apart. The weather coming up to the 2nd Test is shocking, which may limit play. Either way, Pakistan's bowling may be better than the Sri Lankans, but Sri Lankas batting is in a different class to the Pakistani batsmen

That's weird because only a few months ago did bad fielding well terrible fielding stop Pak beating them 2-0.

The batsman had no clue then...

Latest