The Student Room Group

Failed IB

Scroll to see replies

I would say the most important thing to do is not panic. There are thousands of people who have come out of school at 16 and not even done a levels/ib and got great jobs. Perhaps that would be an option if you can't resit. At the moment it probably seems like everything is against you but you could talk through your options with you IBC and see what's the best route to take. At my college, out of 43 ib-ers 22 failed and luckily the college are being really supportive. I'm sure if you have a chat with the school everything will work out.

Good luck!
Svefngenglar
Why exactly can't you retake some of your exams? Apart from multiple remarks, it seems to be the most feasible option.

Your IA grades are all carried over in case of retake. If the OP did do better, he would not improve as much as he's probably capable of. Another option is to find a new school to 1.redo the IB, or 2. A-levels, a school which is reputable of course. IB still has its problem with quality control.
Reply 22
look at the options of a foundation course.
google "hefp".
check out things like that.
Kash2
hi,
i got 21 points, and i was actually predicted 33
me and my best friend were predicted 33 and believe me or not, it was the highest in our class.
due to the fact that our school is a bit new to the IB, about 5 years, standards arent that well.

i got:
maths St: 3
eng HL: 4
business HL: 3
design and tech SL: 3
Film studies HL: 4
French ab initio: 4

EE: E
tok: D

i really can't believe my results, i had an official level 6 in orals for english. and i got a level 4!, i was predicted a 6 for it. plus, students that got levels 3 on their orals and were predicted 3s, have actually got same level as me.!!

there's a student who got 13 points and got a D for her EE..and i got an E?

okay, things don't stop there...the whole class failed to get a single diploma. the only one's who've achieved, or are near got 24 and 25...and they weren't awarded the diploma due to failing their chemistry which was level 2!!

our teachers are going to appeal for the whole class. and out of reading old threads i learnt that people have actually got 3-4 points increased at the end!..i was really angry when i saw someone getting a 42 and still crying about remarking!

my dad's so angry that he's calling my mum a biaatch (can't say the real world)...he's calling her that cuz she supports me..and he's calling me a ba********....i haven't really failed i guess...just failed to get the diploma

i needed 26 points to get my conditional offer...i called the uni and they said they'll get back to me....i said i was gutted cuz i was 3 points off diploma and 5 points off the offer....if i got the diploma, it woulda meant the world to me!!...and i actually thought, i was going to!!...i know i did well enough to get the diploma...its a horrible feeling.

and i can't do retakes...cuz i dun think i would be able to at all...please don't advise me to do that...cuz it won't be possible at all, and school won't be able to provide!

i can't do foundation year cuz i gotta pay 8000 pounds a year...and my parents can't afford that...i desperately need to get into that uni....im really scared...i just need a bit assurance that i might get a level-up or get into the uni....i'd be greatful...worst time of my life :frown:

i've thought about poison, but too wuss to take

I think the best thing for you do now is to retake the courses that are most important to you to get into that specific field in university. From what I see...I think that you should retake possibly Film Studies HL, French ab initio, and Design and Technology SL. This would be the best way to increase your marks and help you succeed. You could redo English HL, but I would not recommend it. Hope that helps. :redface:
Reply 24
wo. I didn't realise so many people failed the IB? It's our schools first year of IB, so I get most of my information about it from TSR and well, everyone on this site seems to be doing pretty well do say the least...

Kinda scary - we didn't have any proper mocks this year, and the ones we did have, even I could tell that teachers were being far too lenient. So this thread has been a bit of a reality check...

OP - well, you're in a pretty unfortunate position. The only options I can think of are:
a) beg unis to let you in anyway
b) what was your insurance offer? Could you go there, or were you're grades too low for them, also?
c) repeate a year, either taking fast track A level (in subjects you've already done at IB, so hopefully you'll be able to do them in a year)
d) retake IB exams
e) retake IB (probably not particularly appealing...)

f) What course are oyu applying for? Could you take a foundation year? Or some other further education acess scheme? I'm not sure how they work, or what available, but could oyou do something like that?
g) This may sound a little odd - but have you considered an overseas university? You say you've moved around a lot, so the idea probably isn't as daunting. I don't know how UK universities compare to overseas unis, but instead of having to find a uni with your right course, which will accept your grades, simply due to the extra choice you've got by going international, hopefully there should be a university somewhere that would suit? I don't know :s-smilie: - that was just a little thought.
Reply 25
parents wont let me take retakes...and i can't waste another year...believe me or not...and i wont take foundation year....just outta personal pride....cuz i know im no **** student....im one of the bright ones whose really unlucky....im just waiting on the uni's reply....otherwise im gonna beg my ass off....well, my confidence is back apparantly...but then again, only i gotta fix it, cuz i got myself into it....
Reply 26
Ok, I can understand you may have that sort of perosnality where you don't want to dent your pride, but that's just a ridiculous reason not to do something. If you're bright, you'll understand that it's one year out of your life, and could potentially be the only way to get into the university of your choice.

And anyway - who said that a foundation year was for idiots?? Most of the people I know who are planning on taking a foundation year are more intelligent than me - in fact, among the most intelligent in our school. The reason they're taking it, is because they don;t have all of the correct subject at IB/A level which they need for their course.

On is thinking about it to get onto a chemical engineering course, because she doesnt have the current science HLs, and another is using it to get into medicine as again, he doesn't have the correct HLs. I should imagine a lot of people on foundation years are also there because they haven't had the opportunity to take the usbjects they need ot the correct level. Internationals whose education system isn't correct preperation for the UK course? Are they all stupid? And what about mature students who are intelligent enough to get accepted into university, but just need to brush up on their existing skills which they may just have forgotten?

"I'm no **** student...im one of the bright ones whose really unlucky" doesn't work for me, tbh. If you are that bright, and not a "**** student" you wouldn't have gotten those grades to start with. You cant use your school as an excuse. You're 17/18. I think by now you're old enough to take responsibilty for your own actions.
Reply 27
wow, im just shocked but after browsing through this forum i've discovered a lot of schools just like yours. Could it be that IB is (purposefully) screwing your school over? I mean when you guys did the past papers and looked over the markschemes you would have realized your position (and did something about it)
It could be the teachers as well...since there are some teachers that I know that are really bad in explaining the hardcore details of the IB syllabus. I really think that we should give him a chance to speak and see if it is really the school's fault or it is because of his laziness. I know that I did worse than expected because of my laziness and my "summer is coming" mood. :frown:
If you give me your father's number I will ring him and make him know how much of a ****ing ****** he is for verbally abusing his family. If he does not listen I could hire some thugs to make him come to reason.
Seriously though, get the school thugs to beat some sense into him. In fact, report his ass to the police.

OP, it is NOT your fault. It is the terrible school you go to. My school had 5 years of operating the IB and we got scores in the 40 and very few fails. Your school is INCOMPETENT.
If you do not opt for retakes then, quite frankly, it is your own fault. It is like a patient who refuses to take his medicine, and then dies. I would have no sympathy for someone like that.
5 years of IB O.O
we only just started our first year o.o
Reply 31
What I heard from my IBC, it's not necessarily true...
I asked for this matter as I have to resit Maths HL in this Nov (or next May) and he encouraged me to take it in this Nov since coursework for Maths HL is changing from next year. So its largely depends on subject. I think its applicable to Science subjects as well.

I think its kinda off-topic but for those of you who are thinking to re-sit the exam, and DON'T want to waste your time on completing your coursework (provided that your IA was a decent work), why not re-taking it in this Nov?

talespirit
Your IA grades are all carried over in case of retake. If the OP did do better, he would not improve as much as he's probably capable of. Another option is to find a new school to 1.redo the IB, or 2. A-levels, a school which is reputable of course. IB still has its problem with quality control.
Reply 32
afua12
Ok, I can understand you may have that sort of perosnality where you don't want to dent your pride, but that's just a ridiculous reason not to do something. If you're bright, you'll understand that it's one year out of your life, and could potentially be the only way to get into the university of your choice.

And anyway - who said that a foundation year was for idiots?? Most of the people I know who are planning on taking a foundation year are more intelligent than me - in fact, among the most intelligent in our school. The reason they're taking it, is because they don;t have all of the correct subject at IB/A level which they need for their course.

On is thinking about it to get onto a chemical engineering course, because she doesnt have the current science HLs, and another is using it to get into medicine as again, he doesn't have the correct HLs. I should imagine a lot of people on foundation years are also there because they haven't had the opportunity to take the usbjects they need ot the correct level. Internationals whose education system isn't correct preperation for the UK course? Are they all stupid? And what about mature students who are intelligent enough to get accepted into university, but just need to brush up on their existing skills which they may just have forgotten?

"I'm no **** student...im one of the bright ones whose really unlucky" doesn't work for me, tbh. If you are that bright, and not a "**** student" you wouldn't have gotten those grades to start with. You cant use your school as an excuse. You're 17/18. I think by now you're old enough to take responsibilty for your own actions.

lol, i really don't need to argue back point for point...the reason being, i think your dictionary says that, bright means academically gifted only

and yes, i am taking responsibility, i messed up, im bearing this, but i don't deserve this is what i meant to say by that...

just think a lil before you got all offensive on me, ma dear
Reply 33
josepharthur
If you give me your father's number I will ring him and make him know how much of a ****ing ****** he is for verbally abusing his family. If he does not listen I could hire some thugs to make him come to reason.
Seriously though, get the school thugs to beat some sense into him. In fact, report his ass to the police.

OP, it is NOT your fault. It is the terrible school you go to. My school had 5 years of operating the IB and we got scores in the 40 and very few fails. Your school is INCOMPETENT.
If you do not opt for retakes then, quite frankly, it is your own fault. It is like a patient who refuses to take his medicine, and then dies. I would have no sympathy for someone like that.

thanks for being supportive ma friend...i hope i could whoop him up...grr....but yea, i messed up, im takin it like a man...that's the only way, but i definitely don't deserve this
Reply 34
Kash2
lol, i really don't need to argue back point for point...the reason being, i think your dictionary says that, bright means academically gifted only

and yes, i am taking responsibility, i messed up, im bearing this, but i don't deserve this is what i meant to say by that...

just think a lil before you got all offensive on me, ma dear

I'm not argueing with you - I'm just passing on some information that may be useful to you. If you don't want constructive replies, don't ask for advice.

I don't understand your grammar. Someone who is "bright" is intelligent. Therefore, if you really are the bright student you say you are, you would be intelligent enough to either be able to come out with grades higher than that to begin with, or be intelligent enough to figure out earlier that you needed to do something about it.

And I did think before I posted. Everything I wrote is relevant, and could help you in your situation.

I have a sneaking suspicion you came on here looking for sympathy, rather than any help.
Reply 35
afua12
I'm not argueing with you - I'm just passing on some information that may be useful to you. If you don't want constructive replies, don't ask for advice.

I don't understand your grammar. Someone who is "bright" is intelligent. Therefore, if you really are the bright student you say you are, you would be intelligent enough to either be able to come out with grades higher than that to begin with, or be intelligent enough to figure out earlier that you needed to do something about it.

And I did think before I posted. Everything I wrote is relevant, and could help you in your situation.

I have a sneaking suspicion you came on here looking for sympathy, rather than any help.

lol, what good is sympathy gonna do me tho??....and according to me, bright means talented m'dear.....its not grammar btw...its called vocabulary!!...look there's no point arguing....and besides...im not here to take any jack **** criticism....i just need advice
Reply 36
Is it possible to remark an exam and then retake that same exam in November?
Reply 37
Absolutely, if you are not pleased with your score after a re-mark
grishicles
Is it possible to remark an exam and then retake that same exam in November?
Reply 38
101 Cynicism
Seriously, IB is never easier than A levels. But that's not the point.

OP, hang in there. Try to focus to get your priorities straight, beg to unis, make appeals, it'll work out.

IB is a LOT harder than A-levels. I mean come on... local students in Hong Kong totally diss what they call the "UK GCE system". They think it isn't worth taking, because it is really easy. But they respect IB diploma students. How could you so blatantly say that "IB is NEVER easier than A-levels"? HL IB subject content = A-level content. But we take 3x SL's as well, AND ToK+EE AND 150 hours of CAS.
Reply 39
That's fair comparison. But apart from the level of difficulty, we cannot deny the fact that acceptance ratio (esp. for top-notch unis) of A-Level students is still much higher than that of IBers :frown:

Aegilia
IB is a LOT harder than A-levels. I mean come on... local students in Hong Kong totally diss what they call the "UK GCE system". They think it isn't worth taking, because it is really easy. But they respect IB diploma students. How could you so blatantly say that "IB is NEVER easier than A-levels"? HL IB subject content = A-level content. But we take 3x SL's as well, AND ToK+EE AND 150 hours of CAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending