The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
woweee
Hi, I recently passed the assessment for a part time job as a customer assistant, and I have a few questions about the induction/training which I start tomorrow!:

1- how many people usually do it at the same time? Like are you all in a group doing the same thing?
2- What should I wear? She said I’d be given my uniform tomorrow, but do you actually wear it? (what if it doesn’t fit?!)
3- Is it usually 2 or 3 days? After the interview she said it was just Monday and Tuesday, but then I got a letter with Saturday on as well..
4- What do you actually do?!

When I did it, it was a group of 6 people.

Wear smart-casual. A shirt, smart trousers (unless you are a girl or cross-dresser, then improvise). Do not wear your M+S uniform on the first two days of training, unless you are told otherwise.

The training itself is 2 days. This is very general training and covers things like manual handling, customer service, till training. The last day you will actually be training in the department you go to. For me, this was foods. I was taught about date checking, putting stock out etc. You will be on the shop floor for the first time that day as well, so will need to wear your uniform. (If your training is the same as mine.)

The training is mostly lots of videos. Fire safety, customer service. You'll get a tour of the store, manual handling training (how to lift heavy stuff/move big things.) Customer service will be drilled into your head. If you are going to be till trained, you will get to play on some of the real tills behind the scenes. You'll sort out hours, you'll get told information about the discipline policy, fill in lots of forms. You'll be told about the sickness and absence policy etc. Essentially for the first two days you will be a sponge absorbing M+S policies. The Saturday training you will be told how to do the relevant practical things (could be putting food out/till if you're on foods; or maybe something EVEN MORE EXCITING if you're a cafe or lingerie guy.) For the first couple of weeks it's basically just being shown the ropes.

Hope this helps :smile:
I've just booked an interview for my local store. However, I worked for M&S last year at a different store, and when I left i was told i didnt need to have an interview again should it be within 12 months (which it is). My question is what should i do? Should i still go along to the interview and explain then? I don't really want to go through it again! :\

Many thanks if anyone can help :smile:
Hi diamondlad - just go along to the interview and explain that you're a rejoiner having worked at M&S within the last 12 months :smile: You won't have to do the assessment again

They'll check your records from your previous store just to make sure everything's ok but you'll just have a look at what vacancies they have and see if anything suits you :smile:
Having worked in the admin side of M&S, we used to chuck leavers folders after 12 months, so if you come back after a year, you would have to be re-interviewed etc.
Reply 1144
Thankyou so much! Got the job, this forum helped loads! I read it all; as for the "assesment" I had aprox 30 cards with pictures of clothes on them, and had to sell them to the interviewer,

What should i wear on the induction day?
Reply 1145
iamme2
Thankyou so much! Got the job, this forum helped loads! I read it all; as for the "assesment" I had aprox 30 cards with pictures of clothes on them, and had to sell them to the interviewer,

What should i wear on the induction day?

i had mine recently, and for the first day people wore a range of clothes-from suits to jeans and a jumper so basically it doesn't matter. then on the second day we'd been given our uniform and wore that!
Jonathan2
Hi diamondlad - just go along to the interview and explain that you're a rejoiner having worked at M&S within the last 12 months :smile: You won't have to do the assessment again

They'll check your records from your previous store just to make sure everything's ok but you'll just have a look at what vacancies they have and see if anything suits you :smile:

I just emailed them and found out that they policy has infact changed! You now have to be reinterviewed after 6 months :\ which is quite annoying seeing as I was there less than one year ago!

Can anyone tell me if the interview process is the same?
beautiful sunrise
Never mind - I got the job!!! I hate role-playing tho' - was the flash card assessment, was far from perfect. But I think they're desperate for staff as there were loads of vacancies going.

I was kind of shocked there was no interview I have to say. Don't they want to know anything about their employees at all?

What was your assessment? I had the role play last year, I just wondered if it had changed much :smile:
Reply 1148
^ ^Regarding the post above me, you get paid £5.75 p/h + yes you sign all contract in the induction days you have.

I'm coming towards the end of my summer contract now which ends this coming weekend + i want to come back at xmas time, during my uni hols. Does anyone know what happens regarding my discount card? Does it get stopped when my summer contract ends + then it starts up again when i join at xmas or do i get a new one at xmas or does it still continue throughout the months or what???

Also, apparently on my last day i have an 'exit interview' to assess my overall performance or something. Can anyone enlighten me on what else/ all the stuff they do in that interview pls??????????????!
emmz23
^ ^Regarding the post above me, you get paid £5.75 p/h + yes you sign all contract in the induction days you have.

I'm coming towards the end of my summer contract now which ends this coming weekend + i want to come back at xmas time, during my uni hols. Does anyone know what happens regarding my discount card? Does it get stopped when my summer contract ends + then it starts up again when i join at xmas or do i get a new one at xmas or does it still continue throughout the months or what???

Also, apparently on my last day i have an 'exit interview' to assess my overall performance or something. Can anyone enlighten me on what else/ all the stuff they do in that interview pls??????????????!

I don't know about M&S but exit interviews I've done are fairly informal. You can talk about what you thought went well and what didn't during your period of work. It's a chance for you to give feedback on anything and everything. Find out if it goes in your record. In my job, it didn't, it was just a chance for them to look for ways to improve, so I could vent as much as I wanted!

Thanks for the wage indicator. yeesh, lower than I expected. I'm getting up at 5am for this!!
Reply 1150
how much discount do you get? And does it take long to get discount?
emmz23

What? If you fail your exit interview, does that mean you have to stay with them :laugh:
iamme2
how much discount do you get? And does it take long to get discount?

20%, unlimited balance.
Reply 1153
I just got offered a job by marks and spencers for a part time warehouse role. I could either choose this or the salesfloor role? Which is better?
Reply 1154
z_2j96
I just got offered a job by marks and spencers for a part time warehouse role. I could either choose this or the salesfloor role? Which is better?

If you're on the salesfloor, you will be putting out/taking off stock whilst the customers are wandering round. It's as much customer service as it is physical grafting. However, the former is a lot more behind the scenes, so you'll be doing similar things only on the shop floor you have customers to distract you.

Take your pick, I guess.

emmz23

Exit interview... they go through anything in your personal record and sort it out, and tell you if you are suitable for re-employment. They also make sure that policies about your employment (e.g. coaching, HR) were all up to scratch and use that data to help improve their future employing. It's as much for them as it is for you
The exit interview is pretty straight forward and takes like 5 minutes. It just consists of a sheet that you tick and sign. You'd have to be completely disastrous for them to say you aren't suitable for any future re-employment.

As for the question regarding the discount card, it terminates when your contract terminates. If your contract is extended without any leave then you can carry on using your card. However, if you leave for a while, then decide to return you need another card, which is a nightmare! :/ given you have to wait for ages.

I've just left the Liverpool store as I'm moving to Manchester for Uni, so I have an interview/more of a discussion for the Trafford Centre store.
beautiful sunrise
Another query - do you get paid for the 2 induction days? And when is pay day exactly? The booklet they gave me said training takes about 1 month. If I'm just stacking shelves, will I still train for everything, inc tills, etc? I don't see how it's worth it, particularly as my shifts are early morning ones and once uni starts I can't come in any other time. But I would like the pick up extra hours over the weekend when they become available, so in that case I would prob need all the training available.

I should have asked all this at the assessment, but it was such a surprise to be told I got the job right away, and then everything after was so rushed through!

Yes you do, but it's a week in hand, so you get it right at the end of your contract. You'll get paid on your third week on the tuesday (usually) It'll seem like you're working for nothing, which is depressing. But after that, weekly as normal.

If you're on the food, early morning, then it will just be putting stock out I imagine. Although, it makes sense for them to give you till training incase you do opt for any overtime when the store is actually open to the public.
I've not been on foods for a long time, but I know my old Liverpool store had a staff sell off (which I'm guessing is what you're on about) at the end of the day/evening to basically flog the stuff that's about to go off. It's definitely worth going every now and then, good ol' cheap meat! Especially if you are a self-catered student needing cheap food. Plus M&S food is just the best.

But yeah, at the end of the shift, you just barge past everyone and steal all the good stuff and pay for it as normal, and the assistant will put the waste price on.
From experience, the home ware dept can be quite boring at times, because it can be SO quiet. But I guess it's whatever you fancy. I prefer the store being busy.

You can use your staff discount for items in the sale (not in the staff sell off)
i got the job :biggrin: womenswear, pretty much full time...start training 29th Sept and contract ends dec 20th..not too bad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending