The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
anyone?
Hey everyone,

I'm bored in the middle of my nightshift (my last HCA shift before I go back to uni woop!) so thought i'd post on here :smile: I'm about to go into my 3rd year of Biomedical Sciences and Southampton uni and a going to apply for GEP medicine at Soton, Warwick and Barts and also 5-year at Barts. Just waiting for my tutor to send me my reference and my UCAS will be on it's way, scary stuff!! Faye x
Reply 62
ps7
i want to join this grad med society!
im a UCL student doing molecular biology but im not applying yet as i just finished my first year.

Added to the list and your in the same position as me!
Fafthelibrarian
Hey everyone,

I'm bored in the middle of my nightshift (my last HCA shift before I go back to uni woop!) so thought i'd post on here :smile: I'm about to go into my 3rd year of Biomedical Sciences and Southampton uni and a going to apply for GEP medicine at Soton, Warwick and Barts and also 5-year at Barts. Just waiting for my tutor to send me my reference and my UCAS will be on it's way, scary stuff!! Faye x

I want to apply to Barts and Warwick too, when I get my degree :daydreaming: I am only just starting my Chem degree though :o:
I'm in ortho today. Should be interesting.
Fafthelibrarian
Hey everyone,

Do Barts not consider you for the 5 year if you don't get onto the 4 year anyway?
It's been a while since I looked so I can't remember who deos exactly, but it's worth checking out...
My application has gone in - one 5 year course and three GEPs.

Good luck everyone :smile:
icantthinkofacoolusername
Do Barts not consider you for the 5 year if you don't get onto the 4 year anyway?
It's been a while since I looked so I can't remember who deos exactly, but it's worth checking out...

I remember reading somewhere on NMM that they don't but i'll definitely double check thanks :smile:
Whilst in theatre today, the consultant turned to me and said "If anything in here needs counselling, I'll let you know."

:rofl:
Reply 69
GodspeedGehenna
I'm in ortho today. Should be interesting.

Self organised shadowing or degree stuff if you dont mind me asking?

GodspeedGehenna
Whilst in theatre today, the consultant turned to me and said "If anything in here needs counselling, I'll let you know."

Haha i like it!

BASICS got back to me - I should be allowed to shadow them once one of the medics agrees :woo:
brokenangel
Self organised shadowing or degree stuff if you dont mind me asking?

All self organised.

Who/what are BASICS?
Reply 71
GodspeedGehenna
All self organised.

Who/what are BASICS?

Ah cool

http://www.basics.org.uk/ The British association for immediate care, its an organisation that if i ever get a medical degree i aim to volunteer for alot!

Reply 72
Hey, Im hopeing to apply for 2012/2013 grad. med entry. At the moment I'm about to begin my second year of Pharmacy at Brighton.

Just trying to keep up with work experience and start volunteering at a hospital...other than that I don't have time for much else.

Haven;'t though about applying for certain universities except for St georges, I like the fact that the medical school is in a hospital environment,

Can i join?
I hate to be selfish and ask for experiences, but did anyone take the GAMSAT last week?

I was supposed to take it - registered, paid, even booked a room in London for the night before, but I bottled it. It was just too scary, going through practice papers and realising there was absolutely no way I could possibly pass Section 3. Doing it probably would've given me Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. As it is, after two years of desperately wanting to do medicine, I'm now facing another two years of waiting. I don't think I'm going to be over it for quite a while. I've already started revising for next year - I see what people mean when they say you need at least 6 months to prepare.

So if anyone did it last Friday, I'd appreciate some words on what it was like, if anyone has the time :smile:

A very gutted latinmachine, signing out.
Ooooh I just got an e-mail - my first acknowledgement from a med school of my application :biggrin:
LatinMachine
I hate to be selfish and ask for experiences, but did anyone take the GAMSAT last week?

I was supposed to take it - registered, paid, even booked a room in London for the night before, but I bottled it. It was just too scary, going through practice papers and realising there was absolutely no way I could possibly pass Section 3. Doing it probably would've given me Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. As it is, after two years of desperately wanting to do medicine, I'm now facing another two years of waiting. I don't think I'm going to be over it for quite a while. I've already started revising for next year - I see what people mean when they say you need at least 6 months to prepare.

So if anyone did it last Friday, I'd appreciate some words on what it was like, if anyone has the time :smile:

A very gutted latinmachine, signing out.

I took it in Sheffield. There were a few empty desks dotted around the room so several others obviously paid but couldn't face it on the day. It was noticeable too that around four or five people left over the lunchtime period.

I'm from an arts background and as a result I found that sections I and II were quite straightforward. I completed section I with enough spare time to go back over a couple of passages again and check my answers. The essay section (II) wasn't too bad - I was pleased that I managed to write two complete essays in the allotted period. I don't think that there was anything outstanding in what I wrote but the essays were fit for the purpose.

Section III was nothing like the practice material I'd seen. It was just page after page of organic chemistry, which was extremely hard going (given my background!). There were only a couple of physics questions, no physical chemistry that I can remember, and the biology questions definitely needed prior knowledge and weren't as intuitive / guess-able as I'd found on past papers.

I did hear from some others that they had already taken the test in Dublin - which is held in March - as a trial run. I would consider doing that if I needed to take it again as I'd know the results before I filled in the UCAS form, and therefore would be able to determine how risky my Gamsat choices were. If you take the test more than once then your highest results are the ones that the medical schools receive.

I'm not sure if this helps at all but I'm happy to answer any questions that you have :smile:
Reply 76
You can always apply to non-GAMSAT unis im dreading it!
icantthinkofacoolusername

I thought that was King's... and only if you were unsuccessful at interview for the 4 year course then they might make an offer for the 5 year course. So, if you don't get interviewed for the 4 year then you don't get considered for the 5 year.
Reply 78
IndiePixie
I thought that was King's... and only if you were unsuccessful at interview for the 4 year course then they might make an offer for the 5 year course. So, if you don't get interviewed for the 4 year then you don't get considered for the 5 year.

Your right it is kings

kingswebsite

The interview
GPEP interviews will adopt the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) system. Interviewees circulate from one timed station to another. At each station candidates meet one or two interviewers who ask structured questions and mark the responses to the questions independently. MMI is similar in style (but not content) to the short objective structured clinical examinations (OSCE) used in medical school assessment. The MMI interviews will take place in January/February 2010 (normally the end of January). Applicants should ensure they are free to attend an interview at this time as alternative dates cannot be offered.

Performance at interview will determine whether a four or five year offer is made. To fill 24 places, approximately 32 offers are made for GPEP to the highest scoring interviewees (all medical schools have to estimate how many offers to make). Further offers (usually another 40) are then made for the five year programme. If these candidates accept this alternative offer, they act as a reserve if four year GPEP places become available later. If places do not become available, they enter the five year programme in the normal way.

Rest of the info can be found here http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp10/programme/649
brokenangel
:frown: A&E work experiance just doesnt happen round here - wish it did

ah A&E isn't all its cracked up to be, i spent a day there when i was like 16, was alright, but the medicine side of is is kinda boring, i prefered being with the nurses, with the wounds, stitches, observations etc, real nasty stuff..doctors just looked at xrays and it was a bit boring!

1 exam left of first year, then Im on elective orthopaedics for 3 months..Zzzzzzz oh well , guess it'll be good experience with wound care, surgical nursing, pain relief and all that..I just want second year to start now! Oncology, community, Iv's, advanced wound care, respiratory, sexual health- gonna be a good year! Im really looking forward to community work, and starting to manage patients etc, but second year looks like its gonna be good!

Work experience with the med team went ok..i guess, not 100% sure tho if this is what I wanted to do, i found myself ending up just falling into the nurses role without thinking so, maybe its what I'm meant to do :dontknow: my vocation lol We'll see, im still keeping options open, and am getting a book on the Gamsat, to see what its all about lol

Latest