The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 2 - Education and Research Methods Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

How's everyone finding this topic?
Reply 21
I've just started it but I'm taking the exam in May.. both Unit 1 and Unit 2. I'm very scared because I need A's and I'm doing this through distance learning so it's hard :s-smilie: :s-smilie: I don't know how I'm going to do it.
anyone have a list of definitions that we need to know?
This is the paper I am kind of worried about! So much to learn
Reply 24
I cant seem to find anything definitive to revise from, can anyone post a list of terms/theories/ideas that we need to know? thanks :biggrin:
Anyone doing this next tuesday? How are you finding it? I'm just starting revision today :redface:
Reply 27
Original post by teaandcoffee
Anyone doing this next tuesday? How are you finding it? I'm just starting revision today :redface:

Yep I'm doing it on Tuesday, got a B in it last year but I'm resitting in attempt to get an A. I'm also just starting rev :tongue:, I do Psychology so to an extent I already have knowledge on research methods but it's applying them to Sociology and then of course Psychology teaches me nothing on education specifically. My problem is though I have poor quality notes from lessons and some of them seem to have gone missing, anyone know any good websites for sociology revision for this module?
thanks
Original post by akemikat
I've just started it but I'm taking the exam in May.. both Unit 1 and Unit 2. I'm very scared because I need A's and I'm doing this through distance learning so it's hard :s-smilie: :s-smilie: I don't know how I'm going to do it.

Hey, I'm taking it on Tues, and I've been teaching myself - I started out distance learning with ICS but they turned out to be the stupidest people known to man, so I demanded my money back and have since been doing it all on my lonesome! I was after A's but I don't think I'm going to get them, it's so hard to do it on your own!
Doing all the A2's in June

Who are you doing distance learning with? Are you doing A2 as well??
Original post by TallulahStaple
Hey, I'm taking it on Tues, and I've been teaching myself - I started out distance learning with ICS but they turned out to be the stupidest people known to man, so I demanded my money back and have since been doing it all on my lonesome! I was after A's but I don't think I'm going to get them, it's so hard to do it on your own!
Doing all the A2's in June

Who are you doing distance learning with? Are you doing A2 as well??

I'm also teaching myself the A Level by myself.

You will get A's if you work hard for it! Don't give up :smile:
Reply 30
Yeah, i'm also taking it on Tuesday.. Predictions for the 20 mark essay for just 'education' is most likely marxism and class difference in achievement. Does anyone know how to set out an essay structure?
Original post by mrsay
Yeah, i'm also taking it on Tuesday.. Predictions for the 20 mark essay for just 'education' is most likely marxism and class difference in achievement. Does anyone know how to set out an essay structure?

I was about to ask the essay structure?
Original post by mrsay

For this type of question you would definatly need to put in the marxist view of education, for example how it reproduces and legitimises existing social inequalties.
You would neet to put in neo marxist Althussers theory on how education brainwashes future workers with the values and skill needed to be good workers.
You would also need to definatly put stuff about the hidden curriculum and correspondece principle ( put forward by Bowles and Gintis).
These factors, from the marxist perspective, lead to differences in achievement between working class and middle class students.

Hope this helps :smile: I feel scared about the method question!
Education - last time social policies and class came up so DEFINITELY revise ethnicity and gender.

Methods - last time questionnaires and PET came up so DEFINITELY revise interviews/PO/secondary data.

Remember to make sure to specificially link the METHOD to the SPECIFIC TOPIC for the M in C question.
AH

I AM NOT READY

Just gonna go revise a bit more now..........
yeah not looking forward to it, really hated this module resitting it is rubbish!
Eugh. I'm dreading this tomorrow.

It doesn't help that research methods are beyond boring. I can barely bring myself to revise it.
Reply 37
Original post by dan_griffin11
Education - last time social policies and class came up so DEFINITELY revise ethnicity and gender.

Methods - last time questionnaires and PET came up so DEFINITELY revise interviews/PO/secondary data.

Remember to make sure to specificially link the METHOD to the SPECIFIC TOPIC for the M in C question.

I need to be sure.

When you say "last time" do you mean the Summer 2010 exam or the January 2010 exam. I know it might sound stupid, but trust me, I've read on other places, people refering to "last time" as Last January :biggrin:
Original post by Silent Man
I need to be sure.

When you say "last time" do you mean the Summer 2010 exam or the January 2010 exam. I know it might sound stupid, but trust me, I've read on other places, people refering to "last time" as Last January :biggrin:

yep summer 2010, :smile:
Reply 39
Ethnicity and gender came up in tha january 2009 paper. From 2009 and 2010 all education questions have been asked EXCEPT marxism education, class differences internal factors and external factors. So i would say revise them three essay questions thoroughly. As for the methods, my class hada feeling about experiments as it was only asked in the january 2009 paper and perhaps questionnaires, PO and interviews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending