The Student Room Group

University Applicants for 2013 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jimjam951
I'm starting my AS Levels on the 5th, taking Further Maths, Physics and chemistry. I have a rough idea of what universities I would like to study at in 2013, but whats worrying me is that there hasn't been any indication of how much it will cost by then.

Hey, I'm taking those too :smile: What do you want to do at uni?
Reply 21
i'm also starting A Levels tomorrow (5th September)! I'm taking English Literature, Economics, Maths and History and I'm thinking of doing either History or History and English/Economics at University! I'm thinking about Queen Mary's, St. Andrews, KCL or UCL!

EDIT - not anymore, thinking about Law, maybe somewhere in London, or Leeds, York, Newcastle, Manchester...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by CLARA_
i'm also starting A Levels tomorrow (5th September)! I'm taking English Literature, Economics, Maths and History and I'm thinking of doing either History or History and English/Economics at University! I'm thinking about Queen Mary's, St. Andrews, KCL or UCL!

Good luck for tomorrow! I don't start until Wednesday... Good and bad.
Wow - this is a bit too early guys, I mean ours was set up 9 months later in comparison,
Reply 24
Original post by hassi94
Wow - this is a bit too early guys, I mean ours was set up 9 months later in comparison,

It may be early, but if you think about it, the first question people ask when someone our age wants to know what options to pick is what course do you want to do at uni? So it's kinda contradictory to say that we shouldn't be looking ahead already :s-smilie: plus, this isn't for definite plans, more like vague ideas that we can discuss as the time approaches to start thinking seriously.
Original post by Kimiechi
It may be early, but if you think about it, the first question people ask when someone our age wants to know what options to pick is what course do you want to do at uni? So it's kinda contradictory to say that we shouldn't be looking ahead already :s-smilie: plus, this isn't for definite plans, more like vague ideas that we can discuss as the time approaches to start thinking seriously.

I see your point but you should have other outlets until it becomes more serious it doesn't really warrant a thread. Up to you anyway - not like I can do anything about it. Cool to see you're from Yorkshire!
Reply 26
Original post by hassi94
I see your point but you should have other outlets until it becomes more serious it doesn't really warrant a thread. Up to you anyway - not like I can do anything about it. Cool to see you're from Yorkshire!

Woo, Yorkshire! I used to live really near Beverly - heard of Market Weighton? - that was before they got the Tescos, so I used to have to go shopping in the Beverly Tesco. Go Yorkshire peeps! :biggrin:
In answer to your first statement, I don't really have many other outlets, since I'm between schools atm and the friends I'm still in touch with aren't the uni-going types. And since neither of my parents (or any of my family in fact) have been to uni, they don't know anything about it. So I just thought I would make a thread for people thinking about uni. One of the primary functions of this thread could be to discuss a level choices and how they relate to uni courses, which is an issue which affects us atm :smile:
Original post by Kimiechi
Woo, Yorkshire! I used to live really near Beverly - heard of Market Weighton? - that was before they got the Tescos, so I used to have to go shopping in the Beverly Tesco. Go Yorkshire peeps! :biggrin:
In answer to your first statement, I don't really have many other outlets, since I'm between schools atm and the friends I'm still in touch with aren't the uni-going types. And since neither of my parents (or any of my family in fact) have been to uni, they don't know anything about it. So I just thought I would make a thread for people thinking about uni. One of the primary functions of this thread could be to discuss a level choices and how they relate to uni courses, which is an issue which affects us atm :smile:

Yeah I've heard of it! Never been there, mind.

And fair enough, I'm not really criticising - I just think you could have other things to do at your particular point in your academic life. Good look with A-levels!
--
(edited 12 years ago)
I start on Monday! :biggrin: I'm taking AS English Literature, Business Studies and Art & Design. You guys all seem to be studying more subjects than me :frown: I've got my work experience at a magazine already, I'd asked for work experience during the summer and then they offered me to come back :biggrin: At university I'm hoping to take up Fashion Journalism which means that I'll have to study in England, Northern Ireland is useless.

I think the fees put me off a first, I strongly believe that you shouldn't borrow money if you don't have the money to yourself in the first place, but I think I'd really like the experience and my family have been telling me I should make the most of the chance. I was hoping that I could go to London College of Fashion to study but if that fails then I'll think of other options, maybe the University for the Creative Arts.

It's not early at all, everyone expects you to know what you want to do early on anyway. No pressure :tongue:
hey :smile:
I started on tuesday and I'm taking English literature, french, politics and history. I'm really interested in journalism and want to do possily English literatur at uni or maybe something to do with languages but I have no idea where abouts though
You guys are so prepared! I am sending off my application in less than a month and have only decided on 3 universities so far :frown:
Reply 32
Greeting all, after reading through the posts I thought I'd join.

I'm repeating year 12 so thought I'd give you all some advice and share what my options are second time round.

First of all the advice, A-levels are much much much harder than GCSE's!!!! During my GCSE's I wish I'd revised because then I'd already be in the habit of actually revising and doing extra work outside of school but I didn't and thought I could coast through A-levels with the same arrogant manner. So if you're reading this and you think, "Hey, that's a little like me." Get into the habit of revising and doing extra work/research outside of class FAST!!! The teachers in A-levels may only give you enough information to get a C grade maybe a B and it is up to you to go out of your way and do that extra bit.

Universities also love people who do lots of work in school, plays, sports, etc.

MAKE SURE YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO DO! I know two years seems a long time, but I always had my heart set on engineering so I took an engineering course in place of an A-level along with maths, then I found out that I thought engineering was the most tedious subject in the world! however it was to late in the year to change subjects. So if you don't like any subjects you're doing make sure you cahnge within a couple of weeks of starting your AS-levels

Now lets look to the future! :smile:

I'm taking Politics, Business Studies, Economics and History and hope to study a Politics based degree at university, I would liek to go to Loughbourgh or Newcastle for the sport (I play rugby and football for my school) but Essex, Hull and Brunel are good politics universities.
Original post by 03hope03
Hey, I'm taking those too :smile: What do you want to do at uni?

Good subject choice :smile: should add some Biology in there to make it a super awesome subject combo (lol only joking. I do all the same subjects as you (I'm A2) + Bio)
Reply 34
Original post by pammii25
Welcome to tsr!:smile:, we have two subjects in common, history and politics:biggrin:

op, im taking history, politics, classics and french. Im starting my AS on the second week of september. Im thinking of reading law at Nottingham/York/Southampton/Durham/LSE depending on my AS results

We have 3 subjects in common! I'm taking History, Politics, English Literature and French (dropping for A2) and will hopefully study History joint honours (either with literature or politics).

Depending on what I end up choosing, in terms of the joint honours, I'm looking at Oxford, Nottingham, Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester and Sussex .. I think. Durham is too far :|

Why would you neg me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi Everyone! I've had a quick read through all the posts, and I look forward to spending more time on this site as I start my new little journey. Let me tell you a little about me, and hoepfully you can help me!

I am 21 (nearly 22) and left school at 16 with 5 AS Levels. I hated education then, and it really wasn't for me so I went into full time work. I have been working everyday since then, and have moved up to Manchester where I have settled down, got a house on mortgage, partner & nearly 2 year old son. Things couldn't be much better for us at the moment, apart from I am stuck in a bit of a dead end with my job. I work in the radio industry, and it's fantastic - but very dull on my administrative side. I have always wanted to do something more with my life, and I have decided now may be the time. I am looking in Paramedic Practice at LJMU, Edge Hill or UCLan, so I'm not far from home/my family. I, however, don't have enough UCAS points to apply to Universities straight away, so I'm looking at an Access Level 3 course in Health & Social Care or Health Professionals, which I *should* be able to do part time in the evenings, whilst remaining in full time employment, earning & learning! I am hoping to have that completed in time to apply for Uni for the 2013/14 year, if I pass and it gets me enough UCAS points.

Is anyone else planning on Paramedic Practice? I'm looking at all sorts of different work experience/volunteer options to get me a bit more 'hands on' training and see if I actually enjoy the fast paced environment.

By for now!

Katie
Original post by klmarchant23
Hi Everyone! I've had a quick read through all the posts, and I look forward to spending more time on this site as I start my new little journey. Let me tell you a little about me, and hoepfully you can help me!

I am 21 (nearly 22) and left school at 16 with 5 AS Levels. I hated education then, and it really wasn't for me so I went into full time work. I have been working everyday since then, and have moved up to Manchester where I have settled down, got a house on mortgage, partner & nearly 2 year old son. Things couldn't be much better for us at the moment, apart from I am stuck in a bit of a dead end with my job. I work in the radio industry, and it's fantastic - but very dull on my administrative side. I have always wanted to do something more with my life, and I have decided now may be the time. I am looking in Paramedic Practice at LJMU, Edge Hill or UCLan, so I'm not far from home/my family. I, however, don't have enough UCAS points to apply to Universities straight away, so I'm looking at an Access Level 3 course in Health & Social Care or Health Professionals, which I *should* be able to do part time in the evenings, whilst remaining in full time employment, earning & learning! I am hoping to have that completed in time to apply for Uni for the 2013/14 year, if I pass and it gets me enough UCAS points.

Is anyone else planning on Paramedic Practice? I'm looking at all sorts of different work experience/volunteer options to get me a bit more 'hands on' training and see if I actually enjoy the fast paced environment.

By for now!

Katie

Hi Katie
I've just been accepted on paramedic science course at Portsmouth and waiting to hear back from LJMU. I also applied to edge hill but was unsuccessful after interview. As far as im aware LJMU and edge hill only have 16 places with over 1000 applicants so you can see it's very competitive to get into. My advice would be get as much experience as you can and make sure it's really what you want to do as you'll be up against many strong candidates particularly as both your choices are bursary funded courses so they always attract more applicants. At the minute i work as a lifeguard, have worked as a physio assistant, volunteered with st john and have community responded for almost two years. But its not just the care experience they look for they also look at your personality and how they feel you would be suited to the job so make sure you can give them examples of how you have dealt with stressful situations/worked in a team/worked on your own/ your communication and how you come across in interview. Also, make sure your personal statement really reflects how you would make a good paramedic, the experience you have and that you understand the role of a paramedic thoroughly.
Finally, if you are unsuccessful your first time applying dont let this dishearten you, theres plenty of students who have applied two, three or even four times before they are successful. Just take the advice and feedback you receive, learn from it and apply again. They like to see your determination and resilience as at the end of the day these are skills that will make you a good paramedic.
Right i'll stop rambling on and wish you all the best in your applications
Reply 37
Hi, I was wondering when you apply to the universities do they see ll your A/S Grades??

Thanks,
Hamza
Hi my name is Courtney!

I currently study Spanish, History, Geography and Government and Politics at AS. I am also working towards my EPQ and do various enrichment classes at school such as presentation skills and cookery. I was also involved in Italian classes last term.

I am predicted AAABB and hope to get AAB/AAA at A2 and plan to study Spanish and Japanese at Newcastle, Birmingham, UEA, Oxford Brookes or UCLAN.

I plan to help out with Spanish classes next year and I sometimes do a little bit of work with the Spanish students at our school helping them doing work and stuff. I moved school in order to study Spanish for A level and have visited Barcelona. I will also teach myself to read Hirigana and Katakana over the summer :-D

I work part time in Tescos, volunteer with the Cats Protection League and plan to try and find some relevant work experience over the summer - The trouble is I live 26 miles from the nearest translating firm so it would cost me around £100 on the trains just for two weeks if I could get a placement at all!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
So I'm just wondering whether anyone has any advice for me on this...
My A-levels are going fine so far, apart from one thing.
I took AS Economics last year and flunked it. Completely. Can't stand the subject, didn't bother working for it, I literally got a U.
Everything's going ok and I'm retaking it at the moment (didn't do it in January)...doesn't look as though I'm going to do much better this time round.
So I'm wondering - what are the odds of getting into a top university with three good full A-levels, but no fourth AS?
Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest